Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! MY SCOOB IS ON HPI FINANCE LIST!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2006, 08:18 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! MY SCOOB IS ON HPI FINANCE LIST!!

Livid I am to say least! Crashed my STI about 7 weeks ago (some idiot came round corner on his mobile!). Car was written off with over 15k of damage. Chased ins co up tonight and they say car is on HPI register with Black Horse finance co agreement dated 18.9.2003 i.e previous owner. We bought car from GMD durham in 11/05 . Rang GMD and they checked whilst I was on phone and confirmed car was on list.They claimed could still be on HPi even though finance settled. Can this be true and surely if car shows up on list they should not have sold it to me in first place unless they carried out further checks and have the documentary evidence to prove this. I paid £18500 for this car and now stand to get nothing

Last edited by anthscooby01; 30 August 2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 30 August 2006, 08:25 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

I think you would be better off getting expert legal advice mate

Do you not have legal cover on your policy ?
Old 30 August 2006, 08:36 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

firstly, gutted for you. done well not to kick **** out of the other driver for not paying attention

could be a very small amount outstanding? if this is a main dealer i'm surprised they would sell a car with any history like outstanding finance.

best bet would be to get in touch with the finace co. and see if the debt was settled. if so, it's a **** up at HPI.

even if it has got finance how will this invalidate your claim? not too clued up on insurance, but can't see how this affects your claim against the other driver?
Old 30 August 2006, 08:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dealer is fully liable ... rest easy - tell the dealer and they will do another HPI check.

It's possible that there are 2 cars with the same plates driving around

Pete
Old 30 August 2006, 08:51 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Dealer did HPI check whilst I was on phone earlier. This confirmed entry on HPI database. Although I know as fact I will at worst get reimbursed by dealer it is the hassle of getting sorted and futher wait I am peed off about. I have put 1k deposit down on another car last week which I now stand to lose. Ins co has to by law pay off any finance on car regardless of whether its my finance or previous owners. Nice to know I was driving around proud as punch in my gleaming STi which was never actually mine!!
Old 30 August 2006, 08:59 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Other guy was trapped in his car which prob a good thing for him. His doors were concertinered ( bad spelling?)and had to be cut off by Fire Brigade. He slammed into me head on catching drivers side headlamp and taking wing off as well as buckling wheel. Airbags went off and I simply opened door and stepped out. Bloody strong car the Scoob!!! His car was smashed to bits! Dealer apparently has to HPI check cars it sells by law so I should be ok though after previous claim against GMD I doubt they will pay out without hell of a fight. If they play up I will contact Subaru UK to consider withdrawing franchise as they are terrible.
Originally Posted by hoskib
firstly, gutted for you. done well not to kick **** out of the other driver for not paying attention

could be a very small amount outstanding? if this is a main dealer i'm surprised they would sell a car with any history like outstanding finance.

best bet would be to get in touch with the finace co. and see if the debt was settled. if so, it's a **** up at HPI.

even if it has got finance how will this invalidate your claim? not too clued up on insurance, but can't see how this affects your claim against the other driver?
Old 30 August 2006, 09:34 PM
mr & mrs carlos uk300
Scooby Regular

Anth, got a nice uk300 if your interested

Carl
Old 30 August 2006, 10:07 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Can I take it for a test drive down Foxcover?!!
Old 30 August 2006, 10:13 PM
mr & mrs carlos uk300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
Can I take it for a test drive down Foxcover?!!

Yeh, but don't take alan
Old 30 August 2006, 11:16 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Agreed re dealer being liable.

Also, it is possible for vehicles to be inadvertently left on the HP Register in error after the finance has been paid. You need to find out the name and number of the HP Co with the financial interest on the vehicle and check with them as to the outstanding debt.

You may also find that they will waive the debt if you ask nicely !

Andy Mc
Old 31 August 2006, 09:29 AM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

Send a letter to the dealer informing them that if they don't clear the outstanding finance within 7 days you will issue legal proceedings against them for the full purchase price plus costs. Send it registered post and follow it up if they haven't cleared it at the end of the 7 days. Be prepared to issue legal procedings if necessary and make sure sorting this problem becomes a top priority task for the dealer.

It could be on the register for all sorts of reasons eg a mistake by HPI, a rounding error in the settlement figure resulting in 1p outstanding or the dealer didn't pay off the finance when they purchased the car. Either way it's not your problem that is why you paid well over the odds for the car and purchased it from a dealer in the 1st place.

Good luck with it.
Old 31 August 2006, 09:39 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
Other guy was trapped in his car which prob a good thing for him. His doors were concertinered ( bad spelling?)and had to be cut off by Fire Brigade. He slammed into me head on catching drivers side headlamp and taking wing off as well as buckling wheel. Airbags went off and I simply opened door and stepped out. Bloody strong car the Scoob!!! His car was smashed to bits! Dealer apparently has to HPI check cars it sells by law so I should be ok though after previous claim against GMD I doubt they will pay out without hell of a fight. If they play up I will contact Subaru UK to consider withdrawing franchise as they are terrible.

hi mate

im not sure what to do in your current situation, but, i would seek legal advice before taking on these guys. Thes dealer principle is a clever guy, i am currently in one hell of a fight with these guys. Dont talk on the fone with them, they deny the calls, if you do have to talk, back every single thing up with a letter by recorded delivery, and obviously keep copies.

Its well known through out the N East that these guys are bloody bandits, and just so you know, complaining to IM does sweet FA, they are not interested in the slightest.

Have you done an HPI check yourself? may be worth the £40, if it comes up with anything, then follow it up with black horse, you may find its a clericle error.

Hope you get sorted

john
Old 31 August 2006, 10:09 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its quite common for HPIs information to be incomplete; out of date, or just wrong! Approach the finance company concerned and try to establish what the craic is; if it appears that there is a worthwhile sum outstanding on the car then you need to write to the dealers immediately demmanding full reimbursement. If the car wasnt theirs to sell then they cant expect to pay anything less than the full amount. Youll need legal help though because the County Court isnt as user-friendly as the Small Claims track.

Simon
Old 31 August 2006, 10:19 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Its quite common for HPIs information to be incomplete; out of date, or just wrong! Approach the finance company concerned and try to establish what the craic is; if it appears that there is a worthwhile sum outstanding on the car then you need to write to the dealers immediately demmanding full reimbursement. If the car wasnt theirs to sell then they cant expect to pay anything less than the full amount. Youll need legal help though because the County Court isnt as user-friendly as the Small Claims track.

Simon

second that, small claims and trading standards will only give you the contacts of solicitors in that field, as i think £5,000 is the largest amount you can claim through the small claims.

If you need a good solicitor, speak with Griersons, they are on the old elvet road in durham. They are not cheap though, they should however be able to advise you on an initial consultation.

john
Old 31 August 2006, 10:43 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I meant to add, that the likely outcome where there is a reasonable amount outstanding will be that the dealer settles the outstanding finance and your insurers compensate you for the vehicle.....
Old 31 August 2006, 09:31 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Black Horse today (the finance co, not just a stray horse!) and after faxing them all documentation they have agreed to remove entry on HPI though they confirmed that their is still finance owing on car. They have asked me if I am prepared to assist them in prosecution if necessary aginst guilty party which of course I am. I now want to push for compensation from dealer as car was not theirs to sell by law. I basically want £16174 from them which was what I was invoiced for and I will fight them whatever it costs. We struggled to get money to pay to own this car outright and turns out it was never ours. We were driving round in somebody elses car. Let war commmence!!!
Old 31 August 2006, 09:44 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

good luck mate, i hope you get everythin you go at them for

john
Old 31 August 2006, 10:19 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Granny sucking eggs time ... I always get an AA Check whether I buy from a Stealer or privately, this gives some peace of mind either way as the AA check on finance, HPI etc.

TX.