Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby written off, advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2006, 02:03 PM
ynaseem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby written off, advice needed.

Hi guys,

I had some bad luck a couple of weeks back, some nut rear ended my scooby in his metro (of all cars, a metro!) and caused quite substantial damage.

Now both he and his insurance company have admited liablity (in writing) so theres no problem in the blame side. However the inspecter that the solicitors dealing with the accident on my behalf has written the car off and valued it at 2000 pounds. Now my car is an 'R' Reg UK turbo with 90k on the clock. It was in very good nick and had alot of history. I would have thought it would be worth more than 2 grand. I paid 5 and a half for it just under 8 months ago and spent loads on it myself aswell and under no circumstances am I going to lose over 3 grand over something that wasn't my fault.

This valuation has not been disclosed to the 3rd party insurers yet, its just what the engineer recommends we ask the 3rd party for.
Im going to call my solicitors on Tuesday and try and get another valuation. Just wondered if anybody had any similar experiences or any advice for me?

Thanks
Old 27 August 2006, 02:13 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

i have heard this bofore... your best bet is to go on autotrader and find cars same age,same spec find say 5-10 cars print them out and send them to the solicitor... this way you are showing fair market value of your car...

this normaly works and can help a lot with settlements....

good luck and hope you get back in aq scooby!

Darren
Old 27 August 2006, 02:24 PM
Sweepickit
Scooby Regular

Sounds very low to me. I got a £4200 pay out when mine died in June... that was for a '95WRX import with 78k on it. The assessors went on autotrader prices... Good luck.
Old 27 August 2006, 02:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ynaseem
Hi guys,

I had some bad luck a couple of weeks back, some nut rear ended my scooby in his metro (of all cars, a metro!) and caused quite substantial damage.

Now both he and his insurance company have admited liablity (in writing) so theres no problem in the blame side. However the inspecter that the solicitors dealing with the accident on my behalf has written the car off and valued it at 2000 pounds. Now my car is an 'R' Reg UK turbo with 90k on the clock. It was in very good nick and had alot of history. I would have thought it would be worth more than 2 grand. I paid 5 and a half for it just under 8 months ago and spent loads on it myself aswell and under no circumstances am I going to lose over 3 grand over something that wasn't my fault.

This valuation has not been disclosed to the 3rd party insurers yet, its just what the engineer recommends we ask the 3rd party for.
Im going to call my solicitors on Tuesday and try and get another valuation. Just wondered if anybody had any similar experiences or any advice for me?

Thanks
2k Is an insult. Get evidence from Autotrader pistonheads etc and sumit that with a firm statment saying that they will have to increase the offer accordingly.

Ns04
Old 27 August 2006, 07:58 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

they just trying to give you as little as they can! as always. its not rite and they cant do it!
Old 27 August 2006, 10:23 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear your bad luck is the recorded damaged,stolen,etc hence why you are only entitled to 50% market value
Old 28 August 2006, 03:49 AM
ynaseem
Scooby Regular

Ill take your advice guys and get some autotrader examples... il let u know how i get on
Old 28 August 2006, 06:15 AM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

good luck matey keep us informed as to how you get on... autotrader is a well known and well respected source of car prices so they should not question your research and its easy for them to check int genuine themselfs....

Darren
Old 28 August 2006, 04:22 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

My mates s reg uk turbo with 150,000 miles on it got rear ended causing £3500 of damage it was repaired on the insurance and not written off. This was only 2 months ago. Sounds like they will fob you off with £2000 and claim a higher amount from the other partys insurance pocketing the difference just a thought.
Old 28 August 2006, 04:42 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Don't the insurers have to go by the value that you specified when insuring it?

Surely!!?!
Old 28 August 2006, 05:24 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd put my tuppence in since I've been dealing with motor insurance claims for the last 14 years.

Firstly, "nope" to GaztheHat - most policies pay out on the market value at the time of loss, not a pre "agreed value", apart from a small no of classic car policies.

Sending printouts of Autotrader adds for similar cars, similar mileage etc is certainly a good idea. In addition, at the same time, you should write saying how much you paid for your car and when, providing receipt (and advising them if this is unavailable if so, cos otherwise matters will be delayed when they write asking for the receipt). At the same time, state that the offer is completely unacceptable and that expect an offer in the region of .....

It's also worthwhile enclosing a copy of the relevant "Parkers" guide page, assuming it helps your case !

One last point, it may be that the offer is low because the engineer is assuming that you will be keeping the "salvage" (your poor damaged scoob).
Ask for an offer with the Third Party Insurer disposing of the salvage.

Andy Mc

PS Feel free to PM me if you ned more advice on this.