Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have 4 grand to spend, can you help me spend it?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 11:32 AM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have 4 grand to spend, can you help me spend it?

Hi there, I have 4K to spend on MY03 WRX following on from this thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/my-03-wrx-t536699.html

I would like some serious advice on what options I can go for.

My aim, is to have a very strong engine, that’s going to be reliable as well as deliver the maximum possible power but sticking in the budget. I really would like to achieve 330-350BHP (or more) but I’m not sure what other components I’ll need to consider upgrading (i.e. gearbox) etc…

I basically need a whole new ‘bottom-end’ so I’m considering a 2.0, 2.2, 2.3 or even 2.5. Bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump, remap, etc…

Am I best stretching my budget and getting the 2.5 or is it simply going to be a waste of cash, am I better going for a 2.2 or even the original 2.0, but build it to near race spec, and run it well below what it can do to help with reliability?

So many questions!!

ANY advice would be appreciated. Cheers, Mikey
Old 21 August 2006, 11:42 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

one thing to remember....the 2.5 will not stretch your budget....you can get a built 2.5 for near the same money as a built 2.0, the budget killers are 2.2 and 2.33 as they are essential hybrid engine...i.e. crank out of a 2.5 with different rod lengths piston bores etc...and as such are more expensive to replace if anything went wrong in the future..

If you want a strong engine then stay away from a "standard" 2.5. If you like the feeling of the kick in the back torque curve then also probably stay with a 2.0.

The common misconception that a 2.5 is more money because its bigger is untrue

If your careful with the gearbox then it will be fine. Assuming its in decent condition and state of repair.

If i were you id get an sti9 bottom end, and just use that.....it will be more than strong enough to cope with 330-350...all day long. combine it with a TD05-16g or VF34, injectors and maybe an sti top mount and youll have a pretty quick real world car.
Old 21 August 2006, 11:47 AM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Top advice Neilo, exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!!
Old 21 August 2006, 12:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Neilo
one thing to remember....the 2.5 will not stretch your budget....you can get a built 2.5 for near the same money as a built 2.0, the budget killers are 2.2 and 2.33 as they are essential hybrid engine...i.e. crank out of a 2.5 with different rod lengths piston bores etc...and as such are more expensive to replace if anything went wrong in the future..

If you want a strong engine then stay away from a "standard" 2.5. If you like the feeling of the kick in the back torque curve then also probably stay with a 2.0.

The common misconception that a 2.5 is more money because its bigger is untrue

If your careful with the gearbox then it will be fine. Assuming its in decent condition and state of repair.

If i were you id get an sti9 bottom end, and just use that.....it will be more than strong enough to cope with 330-350...all day long. combine it with a TD05-16g or VF34, injectors and maybe an sti top mount and youll have a pretty quick real world car.
I reckon this is spot on. Have a word with David at APi though, I'm sure he'd have a few ideas and he won't egg you on to spend money you don't need to! If you are doing regular track work, you may benefit from a few select upgrades.

Neilo- Do 2.5s really loose the kick in the back delivery??? That'd be a shame, I know it's crude, but it ain't half fun and I've always thought was the charm of a Turbo car!

Ns04
Old 21 August 2006, 12:49 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

What a refreshing change, the second response from Neilo..

sound spot on information
Old 21 August 2006, 12:59 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

that "or more" bit will decide what your after,

im sure a chat with scoobyclinic , API or RCM will tell you what 4k will get you

330 soon starts to feel slow

my self and Neilo are running over 350 bhp on the std 5 speed but i don't think it would be a shock to either of us if we had to carry our cars back on the back of a trailor
Old 21 August 2006, 02:35 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

2.5 engine block + TD05 20g or the TD06
Old 21 August 2006, 02:42 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ~DrEaM~
2.5 engine block + TD05 20g or the TD06
What type of figures (power, torque) we looking at with this setup? Will the standard 5 speed gear box take it?
Old 21 August 2006, 02:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by [MikeyB]
What type of figures (power, torque) we looking at with this setup? Will the standard 5 speed gear box take it?
No, but that set up wil ensure it gets a quick and painless end!

Ns04
Old 21 August 2006, 02:48 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

aren't the 2.5's quite weak internally though on the standard stuff?
Old 21 August 2006, 02:49 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
No, but that set up wil ensure it gets a quick and painless end!

Ns04
Bollocks to that then!

What about spending the extra cash and look at a 2.2 or 2.3?? What benefits are they for taking this option?
Old 21 August 2006, 03:00 PM
New_scooby_04

These seem to be the sizes opted for by those going for BIG power! I'm not sure of the engineering reasons though; although I'm sure a few of our project boys will help you out with that.

I get the impression that you'd be well served going for a 2.0 rebuild with STi internals to give you a bit more security under track conditions. Should be good for 330 bhp with less chance of breaking your gearbox! You should really have a word with someone like David at Api though and he'll go through the pros and cons of various options inc the 2.5 upgrade.

ALTERNATIVELY:

"I have 4 grand to spend, can you help me spend it?"

Pop a cheque for two grand in the post to me!!!
Old 21 August 2006, 03:05 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Cheque's on its way to you mate!

Dave from API is giving me a call shortly to discuss. Will keep you posted with his thoughts and options.
Old 21 August 2006, 03:09 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

you could buy a closed deck block (was one for sale the other week for £100), bore it out slightly and get some uprated forged pistons and rods, new crank, uprated bearings and transfer your heads over. Uprate the clutch, maybe a front mount and remap and you should have a little bit of change from 4k
Old 21 August 2006, 03:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by [MikeyB]
Cheque's on its way to you mate!

Dave from API is giving me a call shortly to discuss. Will keep you posted with his thoughts and options.
He'll give you good advice!

Tell him Ns04 says hi!

Ns04
Old 21 August 2006, 07:46 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Neilo- Do 2.5s really loose the kick in the back delivery??? That'd be a shame, I know it's crude, but it ain't half fun and I've always thought was the charm of a Turbo car!

Ns04
IMO yes it does, if you use a turbo that is spooled by 3k on a 2.0 and bolt it to a 2.5 then ther eis no lag at all but it runs out of puff quickly.

To achieve the same "shove" in the back, you obviously need a much larger turbo....relative to the engine. Something in the region of a TD06 or GT30 would do it (ive just purchased a hybrid of the latter) to try and get the kick back.

The gearbox may finally die...but its lastest this long....with plenty of abuse on the track/drag etc.....

If a full TD06 is mapped on a standard 2.5 then expect it to die as the rods and pistons arent up to the job "apparently".

This was half the reason i went for a built 2.5 (which didnt actually cost much more than a standard one in truth due to sourced parts and a little luck)

Heopfully my block is good for 450 all day long, although i will be stopping at about 420 if this turbo pulls its weight.

Incidentlaly API did build my engine.