Sponsored by:

Remapping MY53 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2006, 10:07 PM
GSI Mav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remapping MY53 WRX

I am currently in the process of buying my first Scooby so bear with me here. I have found what I think is a good 53 plate WRX with low milage at a reasonable price. The list of mods that are listed on the car are as follows,

Front strut brace
VTA dump valve
Ninja back box
Afterburner centre section

Ideally I was after a WRX that already had PPP so what I need to know is how much would it cost to get the car remapped ?? Where's the best place to get it done ?? and is 280bhp a reasonable figure to assume with the above mods and a remap ???

Also wandering what a brand new decat downpipe and rear strut brace might fetch as these are included with the car but not fitted. Don't wan't to do the decat really - don't need the hassle with MOT etc unless of course there is a way round this ??

Thanks for answering a newbies questions..
Old 09 August 2006, 10:45 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

unless you want the noise then theres no need to put a vta dump valve on there, youll probably end up with around 270 ish with a remap and just removing centre cat. With similar torque.

The addition of the decat downpipe would help things alon a bit more but then technically its wise to take the cat out of the up pipe too
Old 09 August 2006, 10:56 PM
GSI Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
unless you want the noise then theres no need to put a vta dump valve on there, youll probably end up with around 270 ish with a remap and just removing centre cat. With similar torque.

The addition of the decat downpipe would help things alon a bit more but then technically its wise to take the cat out of the up pipe too
Well not overly fussed by the dv - I have one on my Astra Turbo at the moment so it makes no odds to me. The stuff in the top list is already fitted on the car so are you saying 270bhp ish with those mods and a remap ??
Old 10 August 2006, 11:02 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

VTA dump valve on a scoob can actually be a bad thing. The oem recirc. one is more than adequate at these levels, without the potential to **** up the AFR.

Old 10 August 2006, 11:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

VTA DV, waste of time and money, and has associated risks making them a pretty stoopid idea unless you're an attention seeking chav.

Front strut brace, waste of time until the suspension has been substantially uprated. The chassis on new-age cars is exceptionally rigid and you need to put massive loads through it before bracing has any effect.

Rear strut brace, see above,

Centre & BB are good, and a remap will bring 270-ish as said before. Decat the UP and get a high-flow sports cat DP to get near the 300 mark and still pass the MOT. Sports cat DP's are pricey new though, but you occasionally stumble on an STi PPP owner who's going decat who'll flog you his Prodrive one.

Worthwhile mods include the rear ARB (fit a 22mm Whiteline adjustable), solid rear droplinks, better pads (Ferodo DS2000/DSPF) with braided Goodridge lines and DOT5.1 fluid.
Old 10 August 2006, 12:38 PM
GSI Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Centre & BB are good, and a remap will bring 270-ish as said before.
Now that's roughly what I thought before I spoke to Power Station. Chap at PS rekons with the Afterburner midsection and Ninja back box + remap I would be looking around 245-250bhp. Is he just being reserved or is 270 an optimistic figure ???

He also said that if I was going to do the Decat downpipe that I should do the up pipe at the same time. Im not wanting to spend bucket loads to start with here so is this essential ??
Old 10 August 2006, 02:00 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Basically with a full decat (ie removing all 3 cats) and panel filter you should be looking at around the 270-280 mark. Obviously this is dependent on dyno variances.

Any other engine mods will not really improve on this as the limiting factor will be the TD04 turbo. However a well remapped TD04 will give you some serious performance (the spool/response makes for a very quick real world road car). Spend any other money on rear ARB/droplinks and decent front pads with hoses, then you'll have a very well sorted fast road car, the way it should have come from the factory..!!!

What you need to bear in mind is that any changes to exhaust (ie decatting) will require a remap, other wise you really are wasting your time as ECU will compensate for changes resulting in virtually not gains in bhp/torque..

So ideally, you get all your planned engine mods done then get it remapped. Obviously, the handling mods can be done separately (ie when you have money) although some prefer to do handling before engine IYSWIM..?

If you keep your eye out for a good second hand exhaust system (2.5" system more than sufficiant for >350bhp) and the wait for a group buy on mapping than you can save quite a few £££.

Either way it is WELL worth doing, IMHO an essential mod for the later scoobs..!

You won't regret it so let us know after you have it done so we can say "told you so"..
Old 10 August 2006, 02:19 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by GSI Mav
Where's the best place to get it done ?? ..
Depends where you are ,had mine done here http://www.xtremescoobies.co.uk , They get Pat the mapper to come to them and it cost me £500 for the remap

Dave
Old 10 August 2006, 06:25 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Powerstation were just being conservative with you. I took my MY01 bugeye (~10bhp less than you for starters) a year ago. I still have all 3 cats in place but have an HKS panel filter, de-resonated centre pipe and H&S bb (plus Walbro 255) and made 265bhp and 256lb/ft torque.

I'm going back up in 2 weeks to have a full scoobysport decat system put on and am hoping to get up around 280bhp and similar torque.

Edit: You should get the up pipe done at the same time. PS have quoted me 3.5 hours to fit the full system, including the up pipe, (plus I'm paying for additional time on the dyno for a tweak of my ecutek map).

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 10 August 2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10 August 2006, 07:49 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Without removing the uppipe and downpipe cat or fitting a sports cat you will be very lucky to get 280/280.

You can forget 300 with the td04 aswell unless it is an andy f hybrid. You will find most people on here with full decats or sports cats on newage wrxs with td04s all have around 280/280.

The two cats you have in yours are just too restrictive and the td04 runs out of puff. There might be the odd claim of it but it is more than likely an optimistic set of rollers. I would guess without sorting the cats you will get 260ish tops.