Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's NOT buying a new MY01

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2000, 01:55 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be buying a new car next year, and the choice was always going to be another Impreza or an EVO. From press/tv reports, Subaru seem to have taken one step forward with the ride/handling, one step back the performance, and a 4 mile retreat with the looks. Suffice to say, unless things change soon I will be ordering an EVO, or maybe even a second hand P1. I cannot wait 2 years for the STI version that may or may not appear and which still might be just as ugly.

The current model was never pretty, but atleast it looked aggressive and perposeful.

So who else is not buying? I think a lot more Subaru owners will be changing sides and cheering Mr Makinen, and not Mr Burns on next year.
Old 26 October 2000, 02:04 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

on the contrary...i will still be cheering Mr Burn's....EVO is totally uninvolving to drive...fast as a bloke at the chance of some 'rumpy on a one nite stand'but that's itonce it's over he won't be going back for sloppy second's..
me personaly...will alway's stick with ScooB's...not the new one though...the new one look's like the bird that everyone wishes they had never slept with and regret it the next day!!
Old 26 October 2000, 02:09 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Well munna, thanks for putting it in those terms - we all understand what you mean !
Old 26 October 2000, 02:32 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

thank you very kindly.....would you like any more quote's??such as the one about BMW's??
Old 26 October 2000, 02:35 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

munna - tell us what you really think. Don't hold back now.

Old 26 October 2000, 02:38 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm sticking with my MY00, since its got the scooby back box it sounds like it should, now its had powerstation sought out the bump steer the steering feel (especially mid corner) is almost as good as my old elise, its also faster than an MY01, and I've put in a decent stereo.
I'm happy, only thing that would get me to change would be a wage increase and perhaps an EVO VII or new STI or even new M3
Lets face it the MY01 is really a facelift, same engine, same brakes! for goodness sake, OK so its a bit stiffer - its also slower.
Rant over
Old 26 October 2000, 02:40 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

munna,
I would think that most Scooby owners would love their cars to be as uninvolving to drive as an Evo. I assume you are talking about the Yaw Control which helps prevent Under/Oversteer on the limit. Unless you are a very good driver, oversteer is dangerous unless deliberatley provoked. How many Sccobs have been trashed by lifting off into a corner, which a device like AYC might have prevented. I am not and will never be anti-Scooby (pre MY01 anyway), but too say an Evo is uninvolving either means you have never driven one, or are a very competent driver who can push such a car to its limits. I am not.

Please lets not start the Scoob vs Evo thing again. I just want to know whether the majority of you are unhappy with the new car to an extent that you will not buy it.
Old 26 October 2000, 02:48 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

sorry man....i hate the new scoob....it's not a scoob...it's .....its....

its like this ....
you see a very sexy pair of leg's...nestled on top of these sexy leg's is the finest **** you have ever seen...long golden hair on the head...you briskly walk upto this person and you say "excuse me?"..she turn's around and you say.."sorry mate i thought you were girl!!"

AWD:-man it's so ugly it remind's me of that mother from the GOONIES...do you guy's remember which one?...the Frattelly brother's mum!!
Old 26 October 2000, 03:09 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

munna

Can't say that I remember the mother from the Goonies. Although if she was that ugly, that's probably for the best.
Old 26 October 2000, 03:33 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Red face

she is ugly man...believe me...well ugly
Old 26 October 2000, 03:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm not buying one, but that's only because;

a) I'm poor and can't afford a new one
b) I'm waiting for the STi Wagon, and even then see point a.

The looks have grown on me, and as Plato said in Driver the other night 'can't get used to the bug-eyed headlights, but then you don't notice them from inside' which is a valid point. At least it looks better than the Ford Scorpio!

Old 26 October 2000, 03:40 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

The WRC car looked pretty good - so if some of those become options on the MY01 it will be a lot nicer to look at. Maybe when the 280BHP WRX and the STI come out, they might decide to put the WRC bits as options on them.

It will sell a lot more if they do that IMHO.
Old 27 October 2000, 08:55 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Me
Old 28 October 2000, 12:03 AM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Never...
Old 28 October 2000, 12:21 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

The MY2001 is a step backwards.

I think when people get the chance to test drive them they will realise what a performance shortfall it suffers from. In standard guise it is 2 seconds slower 0-100. You will notice that on the road, ask any elise owner whos car does 0-100 in a similar time. Its not all figures either, its about the way a car feels. I would not like an ounce extra 'refinement' and you cannot take away the fact that the car in present trim looks a minger.

Its so-called better performance in the bends is also a bit of a nonsense. Would they say it was better if the MY2001 was tested against a MY00 fitted with the same wheel and tyre combination. 215 17 like the much rated RB5?

Would I get one, NO WAY. Why, because in its current form it would be a backwards step against my MY99 car.

Also look at the history of the current guise Impreza. In two years the new MY2001 will look outdated by new versions with better seats, handling, power and most certain of all Styling.

So those that say buying a MY00 (a car at the peak of its evolution) is throwing money away because of depreciation, should think about what the MY2001 (Abortion fresh from the bucket) will be worth against its much improved versions when it comes sales time.

The saving grace of the MY2001 is we can all spend a little extra and make it look almost identical to the new WRC car. Roll on Sti
Old 28 October 2000, 12:41 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Smile

What is your "cost to change" if you buy a MY01 ?
Many £K, yes ? So......

Decent tyres
Brake upgrade
Suspension upgrade
ECU
Exhaust

All can be done for the same amount, your car is much faster/more satisfying with all the parts that wear out first replaced/upgraded so are as new or better.

And if you mind everyone knowing you drive an "old" car (can't think why)a random non-year plate.

DJ

*sits back ready for flaming*

[This message has been edited by DocJock (edited 28 October 2000).]
Old 28 October 2000, 01:08 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

My guess it will take time but people will accept the new shape and they will sell a lot of them.

From my own point of view I waited until I saw the car at the motorshow and the day after I went and brought a 280bhp MY00 WRX. Thats not to say i didnt like the MY01 as I think they have done a huge amount with it. I just felt swopping a good low mileage UK turbo for a slower UK turbo wasnt the way I wanted to go.

From al the test drives now appearing they seems to be an overriding conclusions :

1) The new car is more refined
2) The new car is heavier
3) The new feels much more solid
and sadly ...
4) The new car seems less raw and less involving to drive.

It also seems that the Japanese WRX is to be set at 247 bhp and only the STi will have the 280bhp engine. Its also looks like the STi wont be around until 2002 but this maybe just magazine speculating.

I think/hope I have made the right decision.

cheers

chris
Old 28 October 2000, 02:55 PM
Harka MY98
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

It´s so sad that the new Impreza looks like
a cartoon car. I´m NOT buying it!

Harka-Sweden