Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sign here if u are going to buy a MY01

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2000, 12:28 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my MY00 in may and was thinking that i might change it by the time its a year old to the MY01.

now its with us in all its glory ! i'm not so sure. will have to test drive one. most reviews seem to agree its a better handling car albeit a bit slower.

i'm tempted to try an Evo or even a 2ndhand P1 or Sti VI.

steve
Old 26 October 2000, 12:36 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Gunna wait and see what styling changes next year, also it will be worth waiting for the 280BHP uk car.
Old 26 October 2000, 12:51 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm gonna wait and see what revisions are done to the front of the car, the lights and the rear spoiler (Prodrive, Scoobysport, anyone.....?)and then I'll think about test driving the 280bhp version when its out.

I don't want a Subaru that is going to be more comfortable but slower like the MY01. That's not the Impreza is about in my mind.
Old 26 October 2000, 04:46 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I'm buying one, but it will receive some serious styling mods... which of course will go into production if the feedback is good
Old 26 October 2000, 04:50 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

(mental note - never buy summat from SS ever again)

/J
Old 26 October 2000, 05:45 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Smile

are you reading this string subaru? yes, deafened by the silence of an excited buying public.

or, as murray would say:

"AND...LOOK...AT...THAT. Anything can happen on this bulletin board - and usually does. WITH many hundreds, maybe thousands OF Impreza owners contributing to it, nearly NONE think they'd buy THE new Scooby. Well Martin, it looks like the car in front IS a Toyota after all."

oh dear, think my emphasis is more david frost than murray...i'm going to THE pub AND i'm keeping MY car.

Old 26 October 2000, 05:52 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

i'm gonna buy a newage frog. Don't have the money for anything else... What better car to buy for that amount of $... I'm afraid the MY00 is a lot less worth in 2004 when i trade it in. Am i wrong?
Old 26 October 2000, 05:58 PM
KevThomas
Scooby Newbie

Yep, I'm going to get one too.

Never owned a one, always wanted one. Not going for the old model, think about resale.

Will anybody really notice the very marginal difference in performance in the standard 2000 turbo models? Only if they are carrying a stopwatch.
Old 26 October 2000, 06:35 PM
Travis R
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

This same question on the U.S. web boards get's a lot of responses (not necessarily favorable though).
I'll be buying one. Compared to what we get now, it's a giant leap in performance.
Old 26 October 2000, 08:29 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

I get mine within the next 3 weeks hopefully. Guess my job helps, and for the record I like it, but I guess your going to comment that 'I would say that'

David
Old 26 October 2000, 08:36 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

YES I SHALL BE BUYING...............A FOCUS COSWORTH

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 26 October 2000).]
Old 26 October 2000, 08:45 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Me Me Me

Blue Sti + paddle shift with gold wheels

SimonM

Old 26 October 2000, 09:04 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Not a chance in hell unless they do what they should have done in the 1st place, wide bodied with twin headlamp and a minimum of 280bhp to equal the Evo6.

They've destroyed a great car. But that's just my opinion.

Scotty.

Old 27 October 2000, 12:55 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Hmm. Car, yes, delivery deadline confusion, no.

I would have been in the market for one - but
* I needed a car THIS year - not - well, not sure when deliveries will start, won't have the bucket seats 'til April...if they'd DEFINITELY been available, without a waiting list, in Oct I would have waited
* look at the number of improvements that FHI have made to the current model down the years - the MY00 is sorted (or so I thought - I didn't know about engine surging at the time), the MY01 may not be

From reading the various bumph it seems like they've made worthwhile improvements, but more on the lines of an all-round update to keep them up with the market, rather than any massively radical improvement that was worth waiting for. Though I reserve the right to get bored with the ride quality in a year's time....

Although you have to wonder - on "quality" stakes it still can't go head to head with the (cheaper than before) S3 or Golf 4-motion, so if it's lost that battle, it's still aiming for the enthusiast's market....is it on target?
Old 27 October 2000, 12:58 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

munna
.......Or of course it could be Australia is one of the few places that people have actually taken delivery of MY01 yet.......
Old 27 October 2000, 05:36 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

Talking

ARE YOU LOT FOR REAL.....
Go and drive a MY01 and then decide...
If you all want to drive a go kart then stick with the old model..
I have had my new WRX for 1 week now and its a fantastic car.
Sure its a bit slower than the My99 model but that is only from standing starts...
How many of you actually rev it to 5000 rpm and then dump the clutch??? And if you do you are an idiot with more money than sense coz u won't have clutch left after long..
So if Mid range is better...then surely that means its a quicker car...
If it handles better and is now like a real car inside instead of a plastic buzz box..then isn't that better too...
I seems that there are some mature ppl on this bullitein board but on the whole..u all seem to be pimple faced 20 year old kids that quite frankly have no idea about cars other than how much bhp does it have and how fast to 100kmh or 400m.
GROW UP.....
THE NEW SUBE IS A GREAT CAR...
NUF SAID...

go on...can't wait for the replies...
Old 27 October 2000, 05:45 AM
Steve Mason
Scooby Newbie

Question is how many people would buy one if it had the WRC lights and rear spoiler ?
Old 27 October 2000, 10:22 AM
MY2001WRX
Scooby Newbie

I have purchased an MY01 and totally agree with everything Bugwaan says. Its even meant to be faster than the old model when run in! The handling, braking, gearbox, EVERYTHING is a big improvment on my old WRX (MY98) and the only complaints I have is the car is too quiet! Easily fixed. I'm blown away by the new car - drive it before you comment, and drive a run in one!
Old 27 October 2000, 11:24 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

any body noticed how it's just the Aussie's who like this car?(New one)
as for spotty faced kid's...get a life dude..
bugwagon the name implies..a startled frog who has just had a 10" vibrator inserted up his *** with out the frog's consent!!...same theory applies to the new Impreza!!
Old 27 October 2000, 11:34 AM
DBDOM
Scooby Regular

Red face

I Doubt i will buy one - I am going to the motorshow on saturday and will make up my mind for definate, i think ill be getting an EVO next time
Old 27 October 2000, 01:22 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Having trashed my MY00, I'm considering the MY01. I'm first going to test drive an S3 and a Golf 4-Motion, but since the S3 is only 3 door and I've heard bad things about the Golf (and its still quite small) I don't expect that they will stay on my list. I really need a decent sized 5 door car and I can't afford the performance estates offered by Audi or BMW.

I've been reading all the reports of the MY01 and am pleased about the refinements, but disappointed that there's no power increase to offset the increase in mass. Like most people I don't like the lights, but that won't put me off. I am VERY glad that the wagon doesn't have the flared wheel arches of the 4-door as I HATE them.

I will base my decision on a test drive of the MY01. I hope, like our Aussie friends have reported, that it is still quick and fun. If not, then I'll either wait until Prodrive offer a new PPP or I'll probably buy a second-hand MY00, if I can get a year old one at a bargain (sorry, but it is a buyers market!).

Despite the apparent lack of interest shown on the BBS, my Dealer has told me that the first shipment of MY01 has all been pre-sold! I have to wait until the second batch.

I'm wondering if some people will cancel their order after being disappointed by the test drive, and I'll be offered one sooner. But I'm also going to guage the general reaction as if Subaru really have made a mistake here and their faithful customers desert them, then I can wait until they face facts and offer a discount???
Old 27 October 2000, 02:04 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry guys no matter how I look at it, I cant get on with those lights. Pete, im praying u do yer magic on the styling mods cuz Im disliking the looks of the car more each day. To the guys who own a MY01, glad to hear driving is better than styling but for me looks and performance go hand in hand and I dont see why I should compromise.
Stu
Old 28 October 2000, 12:19 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The MY2001 is a step backwards.

I think when people get the chance to test drive them they will realise what a performance shortfall it suffers from. In standard guise it is 2 seconds slower 0-100. You will notice that on the road, ask any elise owner whos car does 0-100 in a similar time. Its not all figures either, its about the way a car feels. I would not like an ounce extra 'refinement' and you cannot take away the fact that the car in present trim looks a minger.

Its so-called better performance in the bends is also a bit of a nonsense. Would they say it was better if the MY2001 was tested against a MY00 fitted with the same wheel and tyre combination. 215 17 like the much rated RB5?

Would I get one, NO WAY. Why, because in its current form it would be a backwards step against my MY99 car.

Also look at the history of the current guise Impreza. In two years the new MY2001 will look outdated by new versions with better seats, handling, power and most certain of all Styling.

So those that say buying a MY00 (a car at the peak of its evolution) is throwing money away because of depreciation, should think about what the MY2001 (Abortion fresh from the bucket) will be worth against its much improved versions when it comes sales time.

The saving grace of the MY2001 is we can all spend a little extra and make it look almost identical to the new WRC car. Roll on Sti
Old 28 October 2000, 01:04 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am going to try one first before I make a decision, as when I got my first scoob I thought it was ugly, but I now think it a veritable thing of beauty.

The new model, I dont like the unvented bonnet, I dont like the black instruments, I dont like the rear end, I dont like the fact that the power to weight is reduced and if it is more refined again than the current model I wont like that either. The rawness of my 97 model was tamed somewhat in my 99 model. However the 99 is far better in town and is definitely faster although top speed was down until I put the SS rear box on it.

It is likely that if I have to get one I will wait for a special edition. (I currently have a normal RB5 for those of you who havent noticed!)

I saw a MY01 red saloon and a black stationwagen on the M90 on Monday and since then every time I see a Toyota Corolla I think its a new scoob coming towards me.

Oh well, rant over, lets see how it pans out.
Greg
Old 28 October 2000, 07:59 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Red face

Very strange....

...at the Motorshow the saloons were fitted with godawful seats - although the wagon had the 'sport seats' as featured in all the road tests so far.

What is going on?

However I do have to congratulate Subaru on have joint first place for "Most Scenic Assistants" (shared with Lotus)

R
Old 28 October 2000, 11:22 AM
hooksin
Scooby Regular

Bugwaan - read my reply in the "Scooby Rivalry" thread....
Are you making the best of a bad decision?
Their are many different makes of car that I like & will own one day (like to try all sorts of motors), I think you fall into the marketing guys criteria. Residual value....never an option 4 me I'm afraid, I buy my cars from the heart not how much it will be worth in 3 years time...although the wife wishes I did.
I spent over £2,500 on a 1991 Galant VR4 in 1 year after paying £5000 4 the car as well.....I can't sell it 4 £3000...do I care
The old Audi S2....nicer than the new one in my estimation, but at least the new Audi S4 was quicker & also nice looking...get the point?

[This message has been edited by hooksin (edited 28 October 2000).]
Old 28 October 2000, 01:07 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Would I buy a MY01? No. But I'll probably get a MY03, about the time when my MY00 will be replaced. When STi and Prodrive have worked their magic, it'll be fabulous. Guaranteed.

Hoppy