ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

PPP - Is it worth getting ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2006, 12:40 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP - Is it worth getting ?

Got my car (M03STi) booked in to my local dealers for an inspection on the rear suspension as a knocking noise has recently started occuring, hopefully to be fixed under warranty.

While in i am going to enquire about PPP and its cost. If not too bad (i know i'm talking four figures) i may bite the bullet and go for it.

Can any of you Subaru experts give me your opinions on whether or not its worth it. Comments from those who have driven a standard UK STI and then a PPP'd version would be great.
I would also like to know how your insurance was hit, i am currently with A-plan.
I have also read somewhere that the mpg is slightly improved which i find hard to comprehend

Thanks.

Nik.
Old 24 July 2006, 12:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Got my car (M03STi) booked in to my local dealers for an inspection on the rear suspension as a knocking noise has recently started occuring, hopefully to be fixed under warranty.

While in i am going to enquire about PPP and its cost. If not too bad (i know i'm talking four figures) i may bite the bullet and go for it.

Can any of you Subaru experts give me your opinions on whether or not its worth it. Comments from those who have driven a standard UK STI and then a PPP'd version would be great.
I would also like to know how your insurance was hit, i am currently with A-plan.
I have also read somewhere that the mpg is slightly improved which i find hard to comprehend

Thanks.

Nik.
Hi Nik,

If you want to keep your warranty, yes, if not, no; more power is available elsewhere for the same or less money- the map will also be custom to your car as opposed to a generic PPP.

I'm not an expert, but IIRC MPG can improve as the remap reduces "overfueling" I believe scoobies run very rich as std. Ask a mapper though.

320-330bhp should be relatively easy to obtain with exhaust/fuel pump mods and a Ecutek remap from a reputable expert.

Ns04
Old 24 July 2006, 12:50 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Yep exactly as above- warranty kept then warranty lost then

Trevor
Old 24 July 2006, 04:25 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

I would have thought as its an 03 he cant have much warranty left anyway so would avoid ppp to be honest.
Old 24 July 2006, 04:27 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllyJ
I would have thought as its an 03 he cant have much warranty left anyway so would avoid ppp to be honest.
Yeah i would have thought the same hence why i wouldn't go for said PPP.
Old 24 July 2006, 04:32 PM
Drboobfondler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Got my @rse booked in to my local clinic for an inspection on the rear as a knocking noise has recently started occuring, hopefully to be fixed under NHS.

While in i am going to enquire about Private healthcare and its cost. If not too bad (i know i'm talking four figures) i may bite the pencil and go for it.

Can any of you **** experts give me your opinions on whether or not its worth it. Comments from those who have driven anally and then a PPP'd version would be great.

Thanks.

Nik.
This is what he really meant to ask !!!
Old 24 July 2006, 05:46 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Warranty until next March.

quote=AllyJ]I would have thought as its an 03 he cant have much warranty left anyway so would avoid ppp to be honest.[/quote]
Old 24 July 2006, 08:28 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

PPP is excellent, turns a good'ish car into an excellent car. It makes so much difference it's almost criminal to sell the car without it but that's the bureaucrats for you, emissions, noise, fuel consumption blah blah blah.

Can't comment on the non-PPP route as mine was new so the warranty gave me no choice. By some accounts even better. And cheaper.
Old 24 July 2006, 09:58 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

PPP won't adversely effect the value, perhaps even raise it slightly, "modding" it will mean no one will want to buy it.
Old 24 July 2006, 10:08 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

speak for yourself plenty of people prefer to buy modded as it saves them spending the cash
Old 24 July 2006, 10:24 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
PPP won't adversely effect the value, perhaps even raise it slightly, "modding" it will mean no one will want to buy it.
Agree. When I was looking the ppp cars seemed to demand a premium of an extra £1k or so over the non ppp examples. My modded classic took a month or so to sell and a few interested parties were put off with the additional engine parts. That said the first person to come and see it bit my hand off.

Vowed never to mod a car again! Bought a 53 plate sti with ppp. Had the TSL 333 remap........not happy so erm.......bought new turbo and exhaust etc. and threw £2k at the car to get it to around 380 bhp. Certainly wouldn't bother with a ppp car myself and would much prefer to spend the same amount of cash getting a base car to where mine is now. All IMO of course.
Old 24 July 2006, 10:25 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Fuel economy is slighly improved - MY A*RSE !!

I took mine out the other day and drove it how it should be driven and came out with 12mpg.

Normally I get 18-20 mpg or 200 miles on a tank full - what sort of range is that with Optimax stations so far apart.

ppp makes a good car great, but you have to fight the bloody thing every inch of the way.

Trying to keep that power under control when you have crap suspension, which all standard STi's have (even with prodrive springs fitted), is hard work. You have to concentrate 100% when fully committed round the twisties.
Old 24 July 2006, 10:30 PM
STI IOW
Scooby Newbie

Just bought an MY03 Sti, was told by the dealer it has a ppp, but no paper work to prove it, how can you tell for sure if it has the pack, any body with pics of exhaust system, ie what it should look like.
hello by the way new on here.
Old 24 July 2006, 11:00 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

One obvious sign is a Prodrive stamped backbox.
Nik.
Originally Posted by STI IOW
Just bought an MY03 Sti, was told by the dealer it has a ppp, but no paper work to prove it, how can you tell for sure if it has the pack, any body with pics of exhaust system, ie what it should look like.
Old 24 July 2006, 11:17 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Suspension is naff Graeme thats for sure. I ended up with AST's which are soooooooo much better.

Re: fuel economy mine averaged anywhere between 180 - 250 mile on a £50.00 fill up with the TSL conversion. Seen over 300 miles since the turbo and exhaust mods along with the AndyF remap and driving has been somewhat spirited I can assure you.
Old 24 July 2006, 11:21 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate.

The exhaust system (comes with hi flow sports cat) should be the biggest give away. Pretty sure mine had a red Prodrive hose off the turbo as well.

I'd be on to the dealer mate. You want the certificate especially if you ever come to resell.

Read somewhere that you can ring Prodrive and give them your reg number and they can confirm directly whether or not it has been added to the car.
Old 24 July 2006, 11:49 PM
STI IOW
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys, have spoken to prodrive, gave them reg & chassis number,they tell me the car has not got the pack on as they would have a record of it, but it has, round prodrive back box, red taped hose from turbo to intercooler, but just not sure about ecu or center section of exhaust, what does a standard sti exhaust system look like compared to an ppp,anybody with any pics would be great.
Old 25 July 2006, 01:09 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

i have seen ppp's bought from breakers and fitted as an after thought..dont think a dealer would have any problems fitting a second hand ppp but you would'nt have the cert

Cheers guys, have spoken to prodrive, gave them reg & chassis number,they tell me the car has not got the pack on as they would have a record of it, but it has, round prodrive back box, red taped hose from turbo to intercooler, but just not sure about ecu or center section of exhaust, what does a standard sti exhaust system look like compared to an ppp,anybody with any pics would be great.