Sponsored by:

Good Service?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2000, 01:06 AM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I recently put my MY00 through its 1000 mile service. It's the first Subaru I've had and perhaps I was expecting too much from the JD Power survey which suggested excellent dealer service.
Courtesy car - No chance
Valet - No
Washed car - Ha ha ha! No
Handbrake too tight resulting in squeeking brakes.
OK I imported a car from Holland but surely after paying £100 for an oil change a certain level of service is not too much to ask for. JD Power? I havent named and shamed just yet but I did expect at least the levels of service I got when I had a Nissan Primera!

Old 24 October 2000, 08:05 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

*cue Sunil......*
Old 24 October 2000, 08:18 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

CLS

This has been covered before - do a search and you'll find loads on the topic. The price is roughly the same regardless of whether it is an import or not. To be honest, for a 'service' that takes roughly an hour, it is unlikely that you will find any dealer that would provide you with a courtesy car unless it was necessary. Why do you need a valet and a car wash after one hour?? I'll let Sunil fill you in on the rest

Chris
Old 24 October 2000, 09:26 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

My dealer (Osborne's of Colchester if it helps) always gets me a courtesy car (I've had four services done there now) -- I drop it off on the way to work and pick it up on the way back. It's always washed and hoovered too (well, one time it wasn't hoovered). MY00 Dutch import, too.

Only downside is they seem to have stopped doing the SIDC 10% discount

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 24 October 2000).]
Old 24 October 2000, 08:36 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Chris L you seem to have missed the point.
After servicing, it needed the attention of a mechanic to sort the brakes out. It was fine when it went in! And I had better service from another dealer when I had a Primera.I wasn't moaning about the cost but the quality of service. By the way a one hour service meant leaving the car with them for 5 hours not one.Most people would get just a bit bored waiting for that length of time in a garage.
Perhaps you have more patience and lower expectations of dealers than I have
Old 24 October 2000, 09:12 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Angry

I agree with CLS. I believe Subaru dealers have become complacent, riding on the tides of award after award. In reality, I found Subaru service to be no better than any other manfacturers and in some cases, worse.

Courtesy car? In about 10 visits to service dealers, I managed to <I>beg</I> for a 5 year old clio diesel which broke down on the M25

I expect a valet and courtesy car when I give mine in to service, it should come hand in hand with the whole package. When I give my Turbo for a service, i expect at <I>least</I> a sport in replacement, not some damn diesel banger.

The service industry sucks in the UK. Not just cars but the whole business of providing a service. Remember the days you were served at the fuel pumps? Now we cant even understand the dialect of those behind the cash desk.

Cem
Old 24 October 2000, 09:26 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

CLS
Running a Primera, you deserve all you get

But seriously, actions speak louder than words...CHANGE TO ANOTHER DEALER.

We don't run an import, which may be a factor, but have always had good customer care. Courtesy car, yes only a sport but it's wheels when needed.

On another occasion when we needed to book a service quickly before an unexpected trip, i.e no time to pre book n no urgent need for transport. My wife took the motor down, they offered to drop her at the local retail park and when, thankfully, she declined, (that would have been expensive service). They bought womens mags and plied her with coffee.

45 mins later car returned washed (but not vac'd) Next survey I'm on the +ve list.

B
Old 24 October 2000, 10:31 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Don't get me started on good service... maybe we should have a league table of good and bad dealers....... I bet mine would be at the top of the bad dealers league

SimonM

Old 24 October 2000, 11:11 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

CLS

Not wishing to start a war here. I take your point about the handbrake - fair enough that isn't what you normally expect, but both my 1000 and 7500 mile services took just over an hour and it was simply a case of drinking the free coffee, reading a newspaper and it was done (Cheam Motors BTW). If I had really needed a car, then they would have provided one, but under the circumstances it didn't seem worth it. I still don't see the need for the car to be washed and valeted after just one hour however (even though I trust my dealer, I would prefer to do these things myself).

I am more than happy to know that the mechanical side of the car is being looked after - I can look after the cosmetic stuff.

Cheers

Chris
Old 24 October 2000, 11:32 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

On both 1k service and 7500, Robinsons of Rochdale gave me a courtesy car on spec, even though I'd previously said I didn't need one.

I don't expect them to wash my car as part of a service, indeed I don't want them to.

We've been round this hoop on many occasions previously, and league tables of good and bad will be found if you search this very forum.

Dare I say in some instances it is the attitude of the customers that brings out the worst in otherwise helpful people.

No offence, but if the cap fits...........

Old 24 October 2000, 11:33 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

But if your dealer doesn't wash your car for you who else is going to do it?

Before Sunil gets in, got no complaints at all about Cheam Motors, in fact they are not by a long chalk my closest dealer, but when you find someone good you stick with them.

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 October 2000, 12:04 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

CLS

Yes I did read your post - that's why I agreed with you about the hand brake!! I was simply quoting my own personal experiences in an effort to keep things balanced.

If you're still not happy with the dealer - vote with your feet - you have a choice.

Chris
Old 25 October 2000, 09:40 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No courtesy car?
Before my Scooby I had two Fiestas - I always got a courtesy car even then. Like Josh L says, you have to give a bit of notice - a couple of weeks - but they should be able to provide you with one.
On the sbuject of dealer service, I was using B&C, but found them to be less than friendly (and their courtesy car was a bone of a Corsa), so I changed to Lancaster Pangbourne. They are friendly, helpful and they usually return the car in pristine condition. Had the 1 year body service yesterday, and they collected the car from my office, left me a courtesy car, and then brought the car back valeted when the work had been done. I don't think they're particularly cheap, but with that service I will be using them again and again.
Old 25 October 2000, 11:46 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well the guys at R N Golden come and collect mine for all services (other than 1st 1000 mile one!). My office is a good 20 miles from their workshop and they always offer me a courtesy car.

It always comes back clean and tidy...

Guess I'm the lucky one
Old 25 October 2000, 12:11 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Red face

Chris L did you read my post?
If you did you would probably have understood that my 1 hour service took 5 hours, and this meant that I had to sort out two lifts. One to drop the car off and another to pick it up. The option to sit around for an hour drinking coffee would be acceptable this was not my experience. Nor was having to take the car back afterwards to sort out a problem with the hand brake. The washing and valeting of the car is probably not too significant and not worth getting too hung up about but better service is available by mainstream dealers.
If you have 5 hours to spend drinking coffee and passing the time of day in a subaru dealers I wish you well. I hope that after waiting all this time that they service your car to your satisfaction and that you dont have to return it to rectify problems caused by the service itself.
Old 25 October 2000, 12:18 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

BarryK
Thanks for your helpful words. I dropped my car off smiling and picked it up later still smiling.I knew that the car would have been well looked after.It was only after that it became apparent that the service was inadequate. I must remember to doff my cap, grovel and beg next time I drop the car off in the hope that this will have some influence on the service.
Thanks for the advice
Old 25 October 2000, 12:29 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

CLS,

I find it all a little strange really.

I understand that you either didn't want to wait or couldn't wait for the car, but did you actually try to book a courtesy car? For as long as I can remember, every dealer I have dealt with (Honda x 2, Subaru x 2, Ford and even VW) have always offered me a courtesy car. The only proviso has been that I book the car in on a day when they have one available.

If I don't want to hang around all day, I just tell the dealer I will be waiting for the car when I book the service, and I make sure I get in for opening time. I haven't had any aggro over this in 10 years +, regardless of dealer.

At the end of the day, if you're not happy, flippin' well complain. That way you can find out if it was confusion or indifference, and act accordingly.

I know there has been mention of dealers becoming complacent, but I don't agree with this. In the main, I think you'll find that dealerships run by arseholes have always been run by arseholes, but like you, I will not name and shame them, I just go elsewhere.

Josh
Old 25 October 2000, 02:35 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well another thumbs-up for Cheam Motors

Yesterday I called Steve at Cheam as I could hear 'grinding' type noises from the front nearside wheel. Remembering that it was suggested once on the BBS that this "could" be a driveshaft problem and I'm at Brands on Friday, I asked if he could help. No problem, the car was in the workshop this morning, everything checked, even an annoying rattle in the tailgate cured and to top it all, they steam cleaned my carpets where the wife had spilt a carton of milk. Ten out of ten for customer service and friendly assistance (and a 10% discount to boot!!!) But why, oh why cant they all be like that?
Old 25 October 2000, 07:17 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Angry

Right, here we go then, drumroll please!

First of all, where does it say that a dealer has to give you a courtesy car or a valet or a wash?. You pay for the service detailed in your handbooks (we hope)and an element of overheads and off you go. If overheads can be kept down then hopefully cost to the customer is kept down OR satisfaction is maximised. If a dealer is courteous to offer such extras in the course of trade then good luck to you. Where does everyone think all these costs are covered out of - i know, i know, profit!....so you might get charged more (or there might be even more of a mark up) or they might cut costs elsewhere to cover the costs of giving all you gods top of the range motors and full valets. Lets see, perhaps they might do this by employing cheaper, relatively less eperienced labour?, well i know what grade of labour i'd rather have working on my car and keep the gimmicks thanks!

I have seen 13yr olds polishing 45k lotus Esprit rims with Mr Sheen and a J Cloth and chammying them down with water dirtier than the Thames at a big surrey dealership who will gladly give you a petit loan car and valet with all services.

I also dont know of any third party garages who will give you a loan car for relatively minor jobs, or even bigger ones.

Secondly, i dont think beggars should be choosers. If a loan car breaks down then how is that forseen?. Add further the fact that the dealer is doing work under warranty which every other previous dealer has declined to do. In such circumstances, i dont think its fair to bite the hand that feeds you - especially as the major work doesnt cost you a penny and also due to the fact that you took your car everywhere else first and then went there as a last resort.

Rant over, up the lot of ya!. If i am ever stupid enough to own a dealership then i will gladly turn all you muppets away or charge you heavily for loan cars and washes

Rant over

Sunil
Old 25 October 2000, 10:18 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well, the voice of reason has cleared that one up for me.
Old 25 October 2000, 10:38 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'll take the advice of the BBS and vote with my feet I think. Perhaps I just have unrealistic expectations because I've been lucky enough to have received such exemplary service with VW Nissan and Renault in the past.
Or should I give them another chance...?
Old 25 October 2000, 10:49 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

CLS

What part of the country are you in? Best thing to do is ask for a few recommendations (offline is necessary) - you've had a bad experience, but I think on the whole the dealers are pretty good. There will always be individual horror stories.

Based on my experience of other manufacturers main dealers, the Subaru ones are generally very good.

I did warn you about Sunil

Cheers

Chris
Old 25 October 2000, 10:56 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In all fairness the only sensible post so far has been that of Sunil.He seems to be the only person here with an objective and realistic viewpoint.
Old 25 October 2000, 10:58 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Makes a change from the usual drivel, huh kevin?

Old 25 October 2000, 11:27 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

oi
Old 25 October 2000, 11:32 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did you say something Blow dog? I only like to talk to people who own Subarus and who dont side with the enemy. I hope you are happy in the fact that in some small way blow dog you are helping Tommi Makkinen and making Richards job even harder!
Old 26 October 2000, 02:49 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sunilp,

I admire your restraint at not taking to task the mulitude of people who seem to get your name wrong - unless it's a long standing joke with mates who deliberately get your name wrong. Anyway, before I pass out at the keyboard, I'll get me coat...

Jermoe.
Old 26 October 2000, 09:30 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

My turbo is an import, get it serviced at Bentleys of sheffield, ok i may not get a courtesy car if they dont have one but they do clean the car for me and ive had no problems from them, mine is due back in in a few weeks for its 6month service, think i should have no probs there
Old 26 October 2000, 09:35 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Jerome, thanks. Now everyone noticed not just Sunilp!
I could claim fat finger syndrome, but in truth dyslexia rusn in the family.

No offence intended & I hope none taken. Perhaps I should admit defeat and trade in the Scooby for a Clio.

Bashni

[This message has been edited by banshi (edited 26 October 2000).]
Old 26 October 2000, 12:53 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Not that I wish to be subjected to a tirade of abuse but:

1 Fully endorse Chris Ls comments

2 CLS did you express your dissatisfaction: initially ask why they needed the car for five hours for forty minutes work. Ask if they had road tested the car before they handed it back to you and seek recognition/compensation for the inconvenience ?

3 Simon why do you keep going back? Maybe I'm lucky there are four dealers I could use. I go to the one that's closest.....but I wouldn't continue to use em if they were c**p.

4 Sunlip, yes I do. 3rd party grease monkey working from a unit on a back street. Everyone gets the option of a "banger" to run if they need wheels, one guy got the company van when they were out of cars!
I think it's called client focused NOT cutting corners, but if a customer feels a loan car or valet is an unnecessary luxury, just like those who are dissatisfied, they can exercise choice.
Are the guys 14 & swinging a jay cloths, maybe but they also provide support for Evo/Scooby rally entries.

Do I use this garage? ..No I've an IM warranty to consider !

5 I've not run such exotica as VWs, Nissans or Renaults, but have dealt with good bad and indifferent distributors including Saab & Volvo. My experience of three Subaru dealers after sales support still puts them in the first category. (Showroom & sales performance is a different issue)

I don't think your expectations are unrealistic CLS....Maintain your standards, take your cash to someone who appreciates it and values your custom.

B

Quick Reply: Good Service?