STi 8 Tuning Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 09:14 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi 8 Tuning Advice Needed

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 STi 8 (2.0l engine blobeye) and am looking for some advice with regards to some mild tuning.

2 weeks ago i had my Standard STi (with 1600 miles on the clock) on the Triton Motorsports rollers and it ran 254bhp and around 245lbs/ft with an intake temp of 31 degrees (which i consider fairly warm).

The printout i recieved from Triton also detailed a graph of my boost / fuelling which demonstrated the following:
  • Boost would peak 1.1bar @ 4200RPM and steadyly drop off to 0.7bar @ 7000RPM
  • Fuelling would run at around 11.5 to 12.0 AFR upto 3500RPM and then drop right down to 10.0 until 7200RPM

I have been advised that the drop in boost and the fact that from 3500RPM onwards my car is running rich is a good thing when it comes to getting more power (whilst still developing good std figures considering the temp) and my questions are as follows:

How/what would i need to reach around 330BHP/310lbs.ft?
Am i correct in thinking that my MPG wouldnt be drastically effected by a re-map to this figure based on the above?

Im will be looking to Bob Rawle for the remap, and am also keen to keep any exhaust/induction changes to a noise level only slightly above standard. Im also keen to not ruin the ability to use the car as an everyday car under 4000RPM when i just want to cruise.

Many thanks in advance for your assitance.

Last edited by marmski; 22 July 2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 22 July 2006, 10:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all your car isnt an STi 8, its a type UK, if it were an STi (theoretically as they stopped numbering them after the version 6 ) then your car would have been manufactured in 2002 (and be a japanese import )
Bob will probably give you the best advice if hes mapping the car but you will need atleast an uprated fuel pump, exhaust and go for an STi panel filter
With the remap you should be pushing a nice 330bhp if not slightly more

Tony
Old 23 July 2006, 12:17 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
First of all your car isnt an STi 8,
No, its a Impreza III version 1 (according to the brochure I got with my STi)

Ie classic Impreza I
Bug Impreza II
Blob Impreza III
Hawk .. NFI ???

Not sure if this numbering scheme was just brochure marketing boloxs though, but it sounds good
Old 23 July 2006, 12:25 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

agree with tony.

I made 333/ 300 with prodrive exhaust system; panel filter; uprated fuel pump and remap.

Lasted around a year before I upgraded the turbo; exhaust system etc. for bigger figures.
Old 23 July 2006, 08:41 AM
wrc350
Scooby Regular

take it to roger clark motorsport, they do a package that will suit your needs and bob rawle does their mapping, my old "sti8" was done by them and produced 350 bhp dynoed at wrc hence my user name, dont go for tsl 333 i went in their demo before rcms demo the difference was night and day
Old 23 July 2006, 10:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by wrc350
take it to roger clark motorsport, they do a package that will suit your needs and bob rawle does their mapping, my old "sti8" was done by them and produced 350 bhp dynoed at wrc hence my user name, dont go for tsl 333 i went in their demo before rcms demo the difference was night and day
Oh you dont get many people with a bug eye JDM STi

Tony
Old 23 July 2006, 10:46 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

ok, now im confused... my car has STi printed all over the place but isnt an STi? What is the difference between mine and a real STi then?

Can i get the Prodrive exhaust system as a seperate item? (i thought it only came in the package)
Am i also correct in thinking the Walbro fuel pump is the one to go for?

Last edited by marmski; 23 July 2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 23 July 2006, 11:22 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

yours is an UK Sti mate dont worry about that. The version 1, 2, 3 etc relates to the Jap models.

You can buy the full prodrive system including sports cat (I just sold my 4 piece package for £350.00 although over exhaust set ups will probably net you similar gains........) and you should have change from £100.00 for the fuel pump. Panel filter <£50.00; dont know what Bobs charges are for the license and remap but I suspect circa £650.00?

I had the TSL pack on the car when I bought it. It basically used the existing ppp that was on the car and was essentially a remap plus geen filter. Power was 333bhp with 300lbs torque. Personally I wasn't that impressed hence why it only stayed that way for 12 months.................

Went for full 3" decat last month with ported headers and 18g turbo. Full cost including wrapping and turbo blanket etc was around 2200 with Andy Forrest remap-Expected the car to be producing between 370-380 (maybe a little more).
Old 23 July 2006, 12:54 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys soo far everyone.

RLE - what is your fuel consumption like with that kinda power (compared to standard)?
Old 23 July 2006, 12:56 PM
wrc350
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Oh you dont get many people with a bug eye JDM STi

Tony
jlol
Old 23 July 2006, 02:25 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
Thanks for the replys soo far everyone.

RLE - what is your fuel consumption like with that kinda power (compared to standard)?
I'll be honest. I've never driven a standard sti or sti ppp so its difficult to compare. I was seeing around 280 mile on the tsl package per tank (£50.00 to fill). Shocked that the last few fill ups have seen me well over 300 miles with the new mods since remap (mixed driving)

With what you're planning I bet you'd barely see any difference. In fact you may even get better consumption to that you're experiencing now.
Old 23 July 2006, 02:30 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Excellent, im currently getting about 300 per tank which i can accept and didnt want to push the performance to a point where it would decrease this to stupid consumption like 200< which it sounds like it wouldnt.

Am i correct in thinking that with my car running rich it would not only benefit from increased performance with a remap but also increased MPG then?

What kinda torque do you think your car is developing RLE? I might just go all out and do the same if your getting those kinda consumption figures.
Old 23 July 2006, 03:13 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

tbh mate I deliberated for around six months with what I should do. The 333 package has a lot of admirers I'm just not one of them. Coming from a tuned classic it just never felt that quick in a straight line although I must admit it was a decent performer on the back roads.

I ended up buying a 20g turbo and set my sights on a 400 bhp diy tuning package. I did the sums and was confident I could get more power on a better budget than those offered by WRC/ Powerstation and the likes. However, I then read that the 20g turbo could be laggy and that was one of the bug bears with the standard VF35 blower (IMO). Anyway sold it and reasearched a bit more contacting all the main gurus!!...............

In the end I went for a new 18G turbo from Andy F. This had a better mid range than the 20G, i was advised it would be less laggy and show no boost creep (which the 20G could) and all I'd be losing would be a bit of the top end grunt (on the rollers probably as much as 20bhp). That said I thought this was a good trade off. Afterall I'm not bothered about the numbers on the rollers and much prefer the on road driveability.

The ported headers have certainly helped and I now have a more free flowing exhaust system that has been wrapped to ensure I see the full benefits. If I was starting with a base car I'd certainly go straight down the route I've taken rather than any "stop gaps". I can certainly say the new set up knocks spots off the TSL 333 conversion and the mid range punch and torque in all gears is fantastic.

Torque wise I bet its over 350 (so Andy thinks anyway). Be nice to get it on the rollers to do a full comparison.

Costs to give you some idea:
18G turbo £950.00
3" Revolution system £285.00
3" decat downpipe £180.00
OEM ported headers with uppipe and everything wrapped (including turbo blanket) £500.00
Andy F remap £380.00 (already had the license)

Without a doubt I bet you could get the parts cheaper second hand.............

Thats it for me now tuning wise. Next steps would be FMIC etc but its not my thing to be honest. The current set up allows me to drive the car around town with no issues and its well behaved. Stick your foot down and it's a quick car no doubts about that!

I have the AST suspension as well which I must say £ for £ is the best mod I have put on the car.

I know how it feels when you're thinking of splashing the cash so you're well advised to reasearch the options fully to avoid any disappointment. All I'd say is I was well on my way to selling the car but I'll now be hanging on to it for some time yet!

Rob