New Exhaust/ Extra Remapping

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2006, 08:26 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Exhaust/ Extra Remapping

Question,

Had my motor remapped last month great improvement. I couldn't afford to have the full exhaust system done at the same time.

I may be able to get the cash together in the next couple of months to finish the job and have the exhaust done.

Popped into the mapper to get a price to supply and fit the exhaust system & feel confused?

To have the remapping done, in the first place, came to arounnd £800 including VAT.

This time they are saying 2 hours on the rolling road, supply & fit exhaust, labour & VAT etc , it comes to over £1,100!

If I could have have afforded it it in the first place, the remap/exhuast etc was only £1,000?

So, the best part of £2,000.

Do I need another remap to work with the new exhaust or, if I go somewhere else which is cheaper, and just have the new exhaust, will everything be OK?

Yours Confused.

Alan MAC
Old 21 July 2006, 09:40 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Sorry, should have mentioned, that when the exhaust gets fitted etc, they want to do another remap?

Paid for the lisence first time round, can't see why it should be more expensive second time around??
Old 21 July 2006, 11:10 PM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your being skinned IMO, It should never have been £800 the first time. Take it somewhere else. They want £300 to fit an exhaust??????? Fair enough even though its just an exhaust and the new settings wont be to far from the old it will still need a remap. If you do fit the exhaust with the intention of taking it to get mapped I would take it reasonably easy. Dont forget your car is mapped for a certain amount of fuel and ignition advace at various map settings, Fitting a freeflow exhaust will upset this and cause your engine to run lean at certain points in the rev range with the possibility of a meltdown at high rpm. Ive no idea what kind of ecu you have, Does you have closed loop lambda.
Old 22 July 2006, 07:58 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Evander, thanks for replying.

Don't know about the loop thing.

As they were doing the the remap they found that thety had to fit a 3 port booster solenoid as the Tube had a restrictor in it.

As I said,in the first place a remap + exhaust only cost £1,000 ex Vat.

Was quoted £550 + Vat for the Remap which I had done in the first place cos, of the 3 port booster, it came to £800 including VAT.

Don't know what to do, I can't afford another £1,000 for exhaust & another remap making it come to nearly £2,000.If it had been pointed out to me that this would be the cost to go to the next stage, I would have saved up and had both jobs done at the same time.

That's why I was asking advice on the exhaust as, I maybe able to get a used one for much less and, a mate will fit it for me.

But concerned about what it would do to ECU etc as, it was remapped for use with an ordinary exhaust in the first place?

Thanks for any advice please?

Thanks

Alan MAC
Old 22 July 2006, 08:20 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Alan, do they know you already have a license? You need to make sure, just in case you / they have misunderstood.

You don't mention what year the car is, but I'm guessing you had an Ecutek? I think a map 'tweak', if you already own the license, is circa £250, although I may be corrected on that... and a couple or three hundred quid for the exhaust change is a little on the steep side, but not total daylight robbery.
Old 22 July 2006, 08:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

And are you prepared to tell us who the mapper is? PM me if you prefer.

Simon
Old 22 July 2006, 08:31 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Hello RRH,

They know I have the License as it was them that did it, it is a UTECK. I t is a suply and fit price they quoted, 2 hours on the RR Labour, etc £1,00 ex VAT.

THanks for replying.

Kind regards

Alan MAC
Old 22 July 2006, 08:32 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Sorry RRH it is a 2005 year.