Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2006, 05:56 PM
hairycossyman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first post and a few questions to ask

hello peeps
nice to meet ya all

i am thinking about buying a scooby just wondered if any of you could answer a few question for me (any help would be great as im a ford rs cossie man and know **** all about these motors just like the way they look and fancy a change) havent told my mates yet though LOL

1st
what is the difference between wrx and sti which is the quickest with the best spec and what sort off power will i get out of these

2nd
where will i find a tuner in the essex area that you guys can reccomend if you have any details

3rd what sort of power do you get out these with say exhaust and air filter chip ect

4th
am looking to buy a classic shape one what sort of money am i looking at

cheers chaps
Old 17 July 2006, 06:15 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert on classics but here goes.

Classic import JDM WRX's are IRO 240bhp, STi's nearer 280, so STi is quicker before mods come into the equation. The STi I believe also has many stronger components making tuning for bigger power easier. There are also variants such as Type R and Type RA which get lighter panels/glass.

Exhausts are always worthwhile, but don't worry about air filters as they never give much. A Green or K&N will be OK. If you tune to over 350bhp the you can justify induction kits, but only if well fitted and with a decent cold air supply. When you say chips you really mean remapping. Some cars will need a new ECU, but to get the best from these cars a bespoke map done by an experienced tuner is essential.

JDM cars run on 100RON fuel and thus must be run on Optimax and octane booster, unless suitable remapped for UK 98RON. If you buy direct from the importer then get it done, and if you buy 2nd hand here make sure the work's been done (receipts/printouts etc).

JDM gearbox's have lower ratio's than UK and are limited to 112mph. People usually remove the limiter, but the gearing suits the limited speed making them painful to drive at high speed for long periods, but ballistic at accelerating.

As for how much, it's a case of how deep are your pockets ? A mint STi5/6 may set you back over £10k, but there are dodgy motors from £3k upwards.
Old 17 July 2006, 06:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

MY93 & MY94 JDM Classic Saloons produce 240PS and run on SUL/Optimax
MY95 & MY96 Saloons produce 260PS; again on SUL/Optimax
MY97 onwards cars produce 280PS but these cars were designed to run on 100RON fuel.

All JDM Wagons up to the MY96 produce 220PS; MY97 onwards cars are rated at 240PS. These can all use SUL/Optimax.

With regards to 'tuning'; Id suggest buying a car whose performance youre satisfied with in the first place. Inept 'tuning' will f*ck a JDM Impreza in no time at all.

Simon