About to Get One - Advice Needed Please

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2006, 11:13 AM
gazbert
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Get One - Advice Needed Please

Hi there

I'm about to move from a boxster to an Impreza WRX Sports Waggon! Loved the porker but I can't shift my surfboard and mountain bike anywhere!!! Time to move onto to something more practical... and faster!

2 quick questions for you guys:

1. Can I get 2 mountain bikes in the boot with the back seats folded down?
2. Can I get, wait for it, a 7'6" surfboard inside the car, without buying a seperate roof rack? If not, how much will a decent roof rack set me back and do all the waggons come with the bars on the roof?

Thanks chaps!
Gaz
Old 07 July 2006, 11:18 AM
gazbert
Scooby Newbie

Oh, I forgot to ask... Are there any things I should look out for when buying a second hand waggon?

The one I'm thinking of going for is £11,500, from a Subaru garage, 34k on the clock, 2002 reg.

Any help/advice much appreciated.
Thanks
G
Old 07 July 2006, 01:25 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

hello mate, i used to live in newquay when i had my classic import 4 door WRX and could easily get in my 6 foot 4 surf board in so if its a wagon (make sure the back seats go down / or you can take them out quite easily) you should have no probs, and the same would go for the mountain bikes.

The only reason i say make sure the back seats go down as some imprezas are fixed shut but it only takes 5 mins and a small socket job to take them out!

Also when buying the car just look out for the usual things, make sure you rake it on the test drive and leave it standing with the engine on just to see if there are any over heating issues as such - thats just what i do etc

hope this helps mate!

Mickey
Old 07 July 2006, 10:12 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Hi , I've got a 03 WRX wagon, I would say yes you can get 2 mountain bikes in the back (I get 1 in easilly ) but you will have to take off the front wheel. The WRX should come with roof rails and mine came with the cross bars too (I bought it second hand ). Not too sure about the surf board inside, I guess you'll have to pay a trip to the dealer with your tape measure .If you're looking at a 2002 model it might be worth looking at an early 03 model (Feb onwards) as this was when the new shape came in and is thought by many to be a whole lot better looking than the 'bug eye ' of 2001/2. Things to look out for are mainly common sense like uneven tyre wear , Full service history / reciepts , UK model or euro import ?(euro imports were cheaper new so don't pay top price second hand) If you can find one with the Prodrive performance pack (PPP) then you might find the extra 40bhp fun

here's my 03 wagon just so you can see the later shape

Dave

Last edited by IN THE STICKS; 07 July 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:17 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

in my opinion mate with 11500k you should easily be able to get a newer model. the wagon is the best as its more stealth so the corsas dont always want to race you. and we all know the wagon s the quickest scooby anyway. have a look on the wagons stand up and show yourself thread at the cars on there mate
Old 07 July 2006, 10:30 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

look in the for sale section on here mate there is a black 03 reg for 10495
Old 10 July 2006, 10:15 AM
gazbert
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Ended up trekking all the way to Shrewsbury to buy one on Saturday - I think I got a real stormer for the money:
53 plate, in blue, 24k on the clock, WRX, boot protector, spoiler, immaculate condition - £12500.

Am well chuffed with it.

Will easily get 2 MTBs in the back with the seats down, but I reckon I'll need to get a rack for the board - anyone know if it's worth forking out £160 for Subaru base rack? Or can I get a cheaper (but good) one from elsewhere? I've got the roof rails already.

Thanks for advice again - will post some pics in the waggon thread as soon a I get a chance...
cheers
Gaz
Old 10 July 2006, 10:29 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

well done
but faster
Old 10 July 2006, 10:40 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by gazbert
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Ended up trekking all the way to Shrewsbury to buy one on Saturday - I think I got a real stormer for the money:
53 plate, in blue, 24k on the clock, WRX, boot protector, spoiler, immaculate condition - £12500.

Am well chuffed with it.

Will easily get 2 MTBs in the back with the seats down, but I reckon I'll need to get a rack for the board - anyone know if it's worth forking out £160 for Subaru base rack? Or can I get a cheaper (but good) one from elsewhere? I've got the roof rails already.

Thanks for advice again - will post some pics in the waggon thread as soon a I get a chance...
cheers
Gaz
Well done that man , I still reckon you may have to take the wheel off to get the bike's in . I've got a high level rack like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ld%2Bseats.htm Which I find better to use in the winter when you don't want to put that muddy bike inside the car ,and being high mounted you don't obscure the lights . I hope you enjoy the car , don't forget the pics

Dave