Sponsored by:

ppp and onwards

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2006, 07:44 AM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ppp and onwards

MY02 sti ppp. Now its done 40k and I fancy a bit more poke. Is it possible to map using the prodrive ecu or do I have to change this(ecutek)? what kind of power for what kind of dollar. bit pie in the sky but its hard to know whether the 305bhp is genuine and id like around 340 if possible?
Old 29 June 2006, 10:17 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A re-map by an experienced mapper but retaining the Prodrive exhaust (as I have) should give you a useful increase in bhp and torque. A ball park figure would be around 320 - 330 bhp To pull 340+ you would need a more aggresive map and maybe a few additional mods including a new exhaust. Above that, you are looking towards a turbo swap, which if done at a later date, would require another re-map. It all boils down to how much dosh you've got to spend!
JohnD
Old 29 June 2006, 11:56 AM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

tip top. Remap it is then. Ecutek the one to go for? and where does it? Many questions from an imbecile!
Old 29 June 2006, 12:16 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ninjaguppy
tip top. Remap it is then. Ecutek the one to go for? and where does it? Many questions from an imbecile!
Depends where you are in the country and how far you're willing to travel. There's quite a few highly recommended mappers.

Ecutek should see you around £650, because you're buying a license, but subsequent maps are around £200.

340+ is more than likely turbo swap (£1000) and induction (£150), stage 2 i call it (and am saving for!! )
Old 29 June 2006, 04:21 PM
JohnS

Be aware that the earlier MY02 STi PPP kits came with a piggy back chip for the ECU (soldered into place I believe), and wasn't an ECUTEK remap.

You may need to check which version you have fitted to your car before going any further.

You can probably get 320+ quite comfortably from the standard turbo and induction with a re-map, and you may want to re-consider spending lots more money for relatively small gains after that. You will probably then also need a new cluch as well to cope with the extra torque, especially if you are still on the original one which may be getting a bit tired now.

In the real world, there isn't a huge amount of difference between a 320bhp Impreza, and a 340bhp one. The only time you'll notice any appreciable difference is at higher (illegal ?) speeds on the road, or on the track, where you may gain a car length or two at most over the length of a straight.

You will notice a big difference if the power jumped to say 360/370+bhp with a range of suitable mods, but you are then well into the realm of diminishing returns. Some owners who have gone this far and beyond in terms of power, then say the cars can become less enjoyable to drive, as you can only very rarely use full power for more than very short bursts, and driving on twisty roads they become more of a point and squirt machine, as you can't balance the car on the throttle coming out of corners so well, or get on the power so early due to the big hit of power when you hit the right revs etc.

John
Old 29 June 2006, 04:31 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

My understanding was that bugeye (and new-age generally) STi clutches were good for about 400bhp, unless you drive like an idiot?

But yes, since you have a fairly good exhaust, and already have the uprated fuel pump, 320 is pretty straightforward. My understanding (from talking to Paul Blamire, so I blame him...) is that the VF35 turbo you have is only good for 340bhp, and to get that requires the full works: FMIC, cone filter etc. But I may be wrong.

M
Old 29 June 2006, 04:41 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Does the ECU get changed when PPP is fitted?
Old 30 June 2006, 11:12 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
Does the ECU get changed when PPP is fitted?
On MY03+, yep. Don't know about the others.
Old 30 June 2006, 11:15 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnS
Be aware that the earlier MY02 STi PPP kits came with a piggy back chip for the ECU (soldered into place I believe), and wasn't an ECUTEK remap.

You may need to check which version you have fitted to your car before going any further.

You can probably get 320+ quite comfortably from the standard turbo and induction with a re-map, and you may want to re-consider spending lots more money for relatively small gains after that. You will probably then also need a new cluch as well to cope with the extra torque, especially if you are still on the original one which may be getting a bit tired now.

In the real world, there isn't a huge amount of difference between a 320bhp Impreza, and a 340bhp one. The only time you'll notice any appreciable difference is at higher (illegal ?) speeds on the road, or on the track, where you may gain a car length or two at most over the length of a straight.

You will notice a big difference if the power jumped to say 360/370+bhp with a range of suitable mods, but you are then well into the realm of diminishing returns. Some owners who have gone this far and beyond in terms of power, then say the cars can become less enjoyable to drive, as you can only very rarely use full power for more than very short bursts, and driving on twisty roads they become more of a point and squirt machine, as you can't balance the car on the throttle coming out of corners so well, or get on the power so early due to the big hit of power when you hit the right revs etc.

John
Some good points. I'm interested in going to the next stage, but if you had supporting mods, like suspension and brakes, then surely the 370 is more driveable?!?

I haven't had the road/***** to test it in it's current spec, so it's already a point and squirt.

Any newage drivers on 370-ish confirm John's point?