Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Lies?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2000, 12:41 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never had in increase in premium for my exhausts. I always told them it increased fuel consumption and it had to be replaced because my other one was damaged.
Another good point is telling them that the aftermarket exhaust is actually cheaper than an OEM one.

Cem
Old 22 October 2000, 08:17 AM
Hogster
Scooby Regular

Question

Many of you have got mods on your beloved Scoobys.

I am thinking of putting a SS back box on MY99 wagon.

There are a number of hurdles that I am negotiating at the moment:

1) Wife who does want me to spend money on the car - This SS exhaust is going to cost a weekend in the lakes as compensation!!

2) Warranties - The garage and even IM appear to be okay on this one - although not had anything in writing

3) Insurance company want to know if it will improve the cars performance - well yes, not only that but will last forever and makes a bootiful sound.

The question is how much performance gain will it really be? I guess the insurance company (Churchill) will hike the premium inline with the gains?

So what do I quote to them?

Looking at the Scooby Sport site this would be 20BHP ~10% gain. But this is not comparing eggs for eggs. STD car on NUL compared with SUL, SSBB and ramair filter!!

What have people quoted to their insurance companies? If you have declared the mods!!

Hogster
Old 22 October 2000, 09:53 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just disclose it to your insurance company as "scoobysport performance back box". As long as you tell them and they make a correct note then all is fine. Dont start saying it gives 20bhp coz it doesnt and you'll just make a rod for your own back!

They;ll prob just add a few quid a year if you want it covered like for like - if not they might just say "in the event of a claim we will only replace it with a standard part".

Privelege never added anything for my whole system!!
Sunil
Old 22 October 2000, 10:25 AM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Certainly declare the mod- it would save any silly arguments with your insurers should you ever have to make a claim.

As for performance, I'm not sure about 10% gains (may be you'll have to check some rolling road web-sites) but it certainly feels quicker in the mid-range....

Or it could just be the psychological effect of the wonderful noise. A weekend in the Lakes is well, well worth it

Old 22 October 2000, 11:00 PM
Julie
Scooby Newbie

Angry

A word of warning:

When you tell Churchill about your exhaust, make sure you put it in writing. I was insured with them on my previous unmodified Scooby. When I changed it for a new one with PPP earlier this year, I told them over the phone and they amended the policy but didn't charge me any extra. I didn't think anything of it until the renewal came through and there on the letter it said 'Modifications: None'. I rang them up to say they'd got the renewal wrong, and the reply was 'We don't insure cars with engine mods. We're cancelling your insurance with immediate effect.' No apology, nothing. It's lucky I was at home with the car safely locked away in the garage and not at work with a suddenly uninsured car in a public car park. After an hour of frantic phone calls I spoke to someone at the NFU who knew all about Scooby mods, and gave me a cheaper renewal than Churchill had quoted.
Old 22 October 2000, 11:14 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Smile

As with all of the above...

...advise the insurer/broker - detail the cost and put it in writing to them...where its a mid-term change/mod, request they confirm receipt/or issue an amended schedule.

I agree - although all mods should be advised, it is not worth trying to explain to some muppett on the end of the phone the extent of any alleged performance benefits by fitting the above exhaust...it will only confuse the issue, and then if referred to a manager/supervisor it is normally easier to just say "not covered...cancel" rather to try and assist you.

Possible benefit of exhaust - no rust

Can't think of anything else...

C U

Rum
Old 23 October 2000, 09:20 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Obviously Rums' the man to listen to hear, but I did the SS box and filter, and was horrified by what my insurance company wanted for the upgrade ( £80 pa !!! ).

Consequently I waited until I had the opportunity to change insurers for one that covered small mods and track days FOC. In my case it was Norwich Union.

I have seen the error of my ways and have now found enlightenment in the path of the Rum.

Josh
Old 23 October 2000, 09:41 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

A-Plan quoted a STD import then I found out it had a stainless exhaust and they came back with "no change in premium" and they have it in writing on the application form.

Trev.
Old 23 October 2000, 05:09 PM
Hogster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks to all you who have replied and given me your thoughts and experiences.

There is going to be a shiny bright non rusting back box on me wagon v. shortly

Churchill were excellent about it, and a new schedule will be in my hands stating "stainless steel exhaust" - no extra charge.

When I looked for insurance 6 months back they were far and away the cheapest at ~£500.

One happy Hogster

PS My wife is going to get a bit of a shock when it turns up - better get the Lakes brochures out!!

Old 24 October 2000, 06:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Julie

Churchill adequately explained exactly what they are by their actions - they are legally obliged under the Road Traffic Acts to give you 7 days notice of cancellation.
Old 24 October 2000, 08:02 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Question

Hogster,

Do you know who you dealt with at Churchill as I seem to be having a few problems with them and a Magnex backbox.

Cheers
Lee
Old 25 October 2000, 03:17 PM
Hogster
Scooby Regular

Logiclee,

Can't remember the blokes name, except he was a rep on the customer service number. I spoke to a few different ones in the course of getting it sorted.

I explained that a brick had damaged the rear box and it would be cheaper to replace the back box with a stainless steel part instead of a Subaru bit and I was checking with Churchill regarding the modification clauses. His only question was will it increase the cars performance?

I of course replied "not to my knowledge"

He had to speak to a supervisor and came back and modified the schedule there and then, with "stainless steel exhaust". Said he would post the modified shcedule to me.

Haven't received it yet - but will check the wording on its arrival.

I made sure that I didn't mention the manufacturer (Scooby Sport) might have given him the wrong impression.

I may have been a little economical with the truth but achieved what I wanted and Churchill are happy

Best of luck

Hogster

PS The back box is in the front room, gleaming, waiting to be fitted - can't wait