Sponsored by:

bridgestone tyres

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2006, 08:12 PM
foxy10
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bridgestone tyres

hi guys, just traded my uk300 in for a 05 sti and i was wondering what the bridgestone tyres are like on this model ,i previousley ran toyos on my old car, also can any one tell me how the diff switch works as i bought the car from a non subaru dealer and the couldnt explain. thanks
Old 18 June 2006, 09:03 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foxy10
hi guys, just traded my uk300 in for a 05 sti and i was wondering what the bridgestone tyres are like on this model ,i previousley ran toyos on my old car, also can any one tell me how the diff switch works as i bought the car from a non subaru dealer and the couldnt explain. thanks
i've only had my 05 sti for a week but so far tyre wise - hard as ****. staggering grip in the dry, grip in the wet was similar to my old classic on eagle F1's (so not too bad)

as for the DCCD, push the button until you get an AUTO light up between the fuel and temp. gauges then leave it alone. it's the best setting for a normal driver on public roads.

all explained in the manual or do a search on here, plenty of threads to read
Old 18 June 2006, 09:11 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

An 05 Sti without a handbook? Odd.
Old 18 June 2006, 09:12 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

that's what I was thinking
Old 18 June 2006, 09:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
An 05 Sti without a handbook? Odd.
lol, i've only read mine the once stuck in a traffic jam coming back from buying it.

give the guy a break FFS, i ask loads of stuff on here as it's easier than getting off my **** and going outside to the car
Old 18 June 2006, 10:55 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the dry the 070`s are brilliant, in the wet good but I prefer P-Zeros, in the snow absolutely sh*t! As for the DCCD, leave it on AUTO and let the computer do the work. I briefly drove it on LOCK to see what is was like and its fun if you`ve got the whole road to play with but make sure you put it back to AUTO before making any tight manoeuvres i.e putting it back in the drive/garage as it makes nasty noises and vibrations which sound £££expensive but are really ok according to the handbook! It will always go back to AUTO when you switch it off.
Old 19 June 2006, 07:03 PM
foxy10
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

thanks for the replys, i dont pick the car up till next week so have nt had chance to read the book.
Old 19 June 2006, 07:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've just about worn a set of RE070's out now (new set awaiting pick-up for £150 ) and the dry grip is astounding. These tyres alone added 20mph to one roundabout I drive regularly. When you first set off they are very rigid and follow every camber and bump in the road, almost wrenching the wheel from your hands at times. Once the walls have a bit of heat in though they settle down. In the wet I tread very carefully with them. Stray onto a white line whilst braking in the wet and it can get very interesting I use them as summer tyres and have something more suited to winter on my old WRX alloys.

Not driven much with the DCCD-A (1 test drive) but IIRC my mate who has this says the setting with 2 green lights is very good for a competent driver on an A/B road assault. I did a few hairpins with it on full rear bias and enjoyed it immensely, and found the mid-corner adjustability on Auto very good fun.
Old 19 June 2006, 08:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Personaly, I couldn't live with the Bridgestone RE070's on mine, so when I changed the wheel (PFF7 in "GOLD") I put on Michelin Pilot Sport 2's.
I had them on my previous car, and think that they are very, very good indead.

The Bridgestones in the wet are dangerous IMO. I lost it a few times under half throttle, while with the PS2's I can nail it full throttle and it just grips. No need to fanny on with the A-DCCD like I had to with the Bridgestones.

What might interest you is that Prodrive recommend using either Pirelli P-Zero's or PS2's, but that is for the 18" wheel. It's probably a good bet to say that they will be better for the 17" wheels too.

As for the diff in the dry. I usually leave it in Auto, but, when really pressing hard, or just out for a bit of fun, I always put it to the most rear biased. Have found less power understear when exiting corners under full acceleration.
Old 20 June 2006, 03:46 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

i have the Potenzas on my MY05 WRX PPP and cant fault them even in the dry at this time of year although i haven't really tested in wet - used to have T1-S on my MY95 WRX and thought they were sh**, would never have them again!