Sponsored by:

Strange One

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2006, 11:05 PM
dinothedude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Strange One

I have a warning light that keeps coming up when i put the boot down. It is accompanied by a judder and a decrease in acceleration similar to hitting the limiter on any other car. The light comes up and stays lit after i go over 5000 rpm about 4 or 5 times. The light is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp according to the Handbook. It eventually goes out if i turn the ignition on and off about 3 times.

Before anyone suggests that it is the limiter, the rev counter is nowhere near the red zone when this happens. I am convinced it is not limited.

My car is a 2.5L MY06 Impreza WRX originally from Malta (bought from Motorpoint) with just over 1000 miles on the clock.

I had the car up at ScoobyClinic today for its 1K service and asked the lads to check the ECU for a fault. No fault was detected on the software that they had.

I have been putting 98 RON Super Unleaded in it since i bought it about 2 months ago. The handbook says i should use 95 RON minimum Unleaded and the fuel flap says use 95 RON Unleaded only.

Kev at ScoobyClinic told me to phone him if i have any further problems so i'll keep you posted as this develops.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem?
Old 14 June 2006, 12:21 AM
Your the guy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi only a thought you should only do 3000>4000 RPM max when running a car in, has Subaru programed this in to stop you over reving it?
Hope you sort it out.

Cheers Dixie.
Old 14 June 2006, 08:55 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the ECU has detected a potential problem and backed off the ignition, its probably going to be a fueling problem.. On such a low mileage car you would expect all the sensors to be fine?

Originally Posted by Your the guy
has Subaru programed this in to stop you over reving it?
Its definitely not going to be the case as Subaru would be held responsible if you were killed in an accident because you couldn't accelerate sufficiently in an emergency situation.

And at 1000+ miles its well and truely run in.
Old 14 June 2006, 11:22 PM
Blancmange
Scooby Regular

Not much help, but you could leave the boot up

"I have a warning light that keeps coming up when i put the boot down."
Old 20 June 2006, 12:09 AM
dinothedude
Scooby Regular

Default Low cost = low quality

Got the Scoob sorted out today.

Turns out the Vacuum pipe that connects the wastegate to the turbocharger was shredded. The damage to the pipe is mechanical, it has been cause by a sharp instrument...my best guess being a stanley blade. There is no cracking of the rubber or any sign of degradation of the rubber. Not that i would expect any on a car with 1300 miles on the clock.

This is the best part.... someone had taped up the pipe with adhesive tape. As the turbocharger was increasing boost towards max. the adhesive tape was giving way leading to a loss of boost and the rapid deceleration that i described in my previous post. The ECU detected this and flashed up the Engine Malfunction Light.

Motorpoint agreed to reimburse me for up to £65 to get the car sorted seeing as they "forgot" to send off the V5 to the DVLA, the car has no active warranty at the moment and i don't have the log book.

I phoned Motorpoint where i bought the sucker to find out exactly what was going on and why my brand new f***ing car had adhesive tape wrapped around a shredded pipe. The answer i got was "It probably happened before we got it." "It probably happened on the boat or dockside when the car was being transported over." "We (Motorpoint) only do a water and oil levels check before a car goes out." We would never sell a car knowing that it had been damaged like that."

Although the car is now fixed and Motorpoint have promised to refund the cost of getting it fixed, i am still pi55ed off!

This episode has soured the Subaru experience for me. I have loved Imprezas since i was 15 and i'm now onto my second one. It has completely taken the shine off having a brand new Scooby.

Buyer beware: Motorpoint offers vehicles at low cost but for me it was at low quality too. The aftersales care leaves a lot to be desired!