Car clamped for not paying old Parking Ticket :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2001, 07:50 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

What about this????

Walking to the station this morning on my way to work, a couple of streets from mine I passed a car that has been clamped. I thought it a little strange as this was in the middle of a residential street with no parking restrictions and all the other cars in the street were fine.

I walked up to the note on the windscreen which looks all official and states that the car has been clamped for non-payment of an outstanding parking ticket!!! Clamping a car that's illegally (alledgedlly hey Bex? ) parked is one thing but to track one down and clamp it after the event is rediculous [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

This can't be legal can it??? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

What if they happen to be disputing the ticket? or didn't get a copy of the ticket/didn't receive any note in the post? BTW - just in case, I checked the Tax disk and that was up to date....

Is this another case of the motorist becomming another stealth tax? I also heard that a friend of a friend got caught by a Tax Disk camera driving with an out of date Tax disk and was fined £1000 That's a bit harsh don't you think?

What is this country coming to????

Matt
Old 01 November 2001, 07:54 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

It seems that all motorists are to be penalised at all times and in any way possible ....

So pay to get into London ... then no parking in London .... what parking there is is extortionate .... then ticket .... then clamp ... and then just for good measure .... tow away ...

I think I'm in the wrong business
Old 01 November 2001, 07:56 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Angry

And if they don't manage to clamp you at the time, they are now willing to trace you to your home address and clamp you then [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Matt [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01 November 2001, 08:03 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

providing of course that you're parked at your home address
Old 01 November 2001, 08:58 AM
Johnny Alpha
Scooby Regular

Question

He didn't pay? Where's the issue?

They don't just clamp straight away, you do get several postal warnings.

Old 01 November 2001, 09:06 AM
the link
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

i must say that if you park illegally and get a ticket and do not pay they can come after you at home and clamp the said car as B4 that sevaral letters would of been sent out and sometimes even summons would of beensent out. they then send out a final letter warning of imminent seizure of property by baliffs (i.e CLAMPING) and maybe even removal of vehicle then you gotta pay storage. bearing in mind by this time local authorities have sold debt to debt collection agency sometimes over a year or two later.
hence you gotta pay up?
IT IS LEGAL
Old 01 November 2001, 09:50 AM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Red face

Regarding tax disc fine
Although it sounds harsh what about forgetting to renew your insurance for a few days & then being involved in a accident.

In my view there is NO EXCUSE to have no tax, insurance or MOT.

Regarding the clamp
Without the full facts how can we comment ?
I would also agree that there surely would be written letters before anyone went as far to clamp the vehicle.
Old 01 November 2001, 09:53 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Actually i may be wrong, but if you arent Tax'd your insurance is invalid anyway ? i know its the case if your MOT isnt valid !
Old 01 November 2001, 10:02 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know for certain that your insurance is invalid if your tax has run out. I've never heard of anyone being done for no insurance when being done for no tax. Also, what if you decide to keep your car off the road for a couple of months? If it is stolen from your private drive, would the insurance really decide not to pay out? I've had people state with authority either way, so would be interested to know for sure.
Old 01 November 2001, 10:25 AM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

I would not think that having no road tax would invalidate insurance. And having no MOT invalidating insurance appears to be a cop out as an MOT is effectively worthless anyhow. It says so on the document, something along the lines, "...does not validate the mechanical worthiness of said vehicle". A rozzer from Thames Valley was of the opinion that they're valid for 30 minutes.
Old 01 November 2001, 01:00 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

IMHO Most insurance companies would take a pragmatic view, if the tax is out of date by a week or so, they probably wouldnt mind, if it was six months, they'd probably tell you where to go.

If the cars is off the road and not taxed, then of course, you will have completed the SORN ( statuatory off road notice) so you will still be covered, if you havent completed a SORN, then you wont! SIMPLE
Old 01 November 2001, 01:04 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

PS For a tax disc, if the guy hasnt paid his tax disc, what are the odds, I wonder on him not having paid his insurance as well, and then what would happen, if he piled his motor into your pride and joy with no insurance!!!!
Old 01 November 2001, 02:49 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Apparently, if you have no tax then the insurance company will only pay out 3rd party claims (i.e. if you have fully comp then tough but others can still claim off you). This is the law.

Matt
Old 01 November 2001, 03:21 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Mmmm, quite scary the amount of people driving 3rd party then with Fully Comp insurance. Apparently, the SORN thing was brought in to stop people skipping a month each time their tax ran out. Little did they know they were only half insured...
Old 01 November 2001, 03:25 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I did say i might be wrong, but I wasnt totally