Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell 550 settings

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2001, 09:56 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done a bit of experimenting. In my state I have come to the conclusion that only laser and Ku band is used because all I have come across is laser guns and mini gatsos. I had all bands on because I had to find out what bands are used here, by trial and error.

The Bel 550 would only give me 50 metres of warning on a mini gatso, which uses Ku band, with all frequencies turned on. The same thing happened tonight. I went passed it a few times and the same thing, 50 metres. I decided to put it on the Poland country setting coz the settings for this country are only laser and Ku. So all other frequencies are now off.

With all the frequencies now turned off except for laser and Ku band, I decided to go passed the mini gatso a few more times again tonight. This time I got 150 metres of warning instead of the previous 50 metre warnings with all bands turned on. Same night same place and only 10 minutes difference before I had been passed it with all bands on.

So it looks like the less frequencies turned on, the more sensitive the detector is. So I suggest turn on only the frequencies that are needed, to keep the detector more sensitive.

Cheers,

Wrexy

[Edited by WREXY - 11/7/2001 9:59:15 PM]
Old 31 October 2001, 03:20 PM
richardmk
Scooby Newbie

Question

First, a big thanks to Derek at Networx Automotive, for the group buy on the 550.

And now a quick question, for the settings on this for the UK it shows the KA band as Narrow, however in the instruction manual it says "in europe, with the exception of the uk it is advisable to select ka narrow and then to make a selection from the available frequencies, ka Swide is intended only for use of your detector in north america" - which should i select, narrow or Swide?

what other frequencies should be selected?

im just a little worried as i dont get any signal from two gatso's i have driven past already (on a website i have seen it says this is normally always active) it most likely they are empty, but i still want to drive past a working gatso to check all is ok.

not sure if this is the right forum for this, but any advise will be very much appriciated

oh before I forget, where is there a working gatso in M.K. where i can try?

richard
Old 31 October 2001, 03:59 PM
networx
Scooby Regular

Hi Richard

The only frequencies that are needed for the UK are K band, Ku band, and Laser.

Ka band and X band are not used for any Police Speed traps, so they are turned off in the UK setting.

Hope this helps

Regards

Derek
Networx Automotive
Old 31 October 2001, 04:11 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Richard

try the one in fenny stratford hidden behind the roundabout sign just before the bridge & just after the 30mph sign (out of the 60)

has been on before but if no beeps, no film

cheers simon

[Edited by simo - 10/31/2001 4:12:22 PM]
Old 31 October 2001, 04:49 PM
richardmk
Scooby Newbie

Thanks both, for the info,

It was the hidden gatso in fenny stratford that i went past with no beeps. i also tried the other one from the mini roundabout in central bletchley to the dual carrage way roundabout (with the two bp stations). thats dead too

Richard
Old 31 October 2001, 07:15 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

So lets say for instance the camera was working, how much warning would you get using the bell550 before you actually went through the camera??

Like most people i would love to be able to have both the GPS system and a radar detector, but like most i carnt afford both, so its a case of getting one and waiting a few months til i can afford the other.

Rich

[Edited by RichiW - 11/1/2001 12:22:35 AM]
Old 01 November 2001, 03:25 PM
greeny
Scooby Regular

It's amazing how many Gatsos are not turned on. Of the ones I go past I would say no more than one in 10 are on at any time.

This could be viewed as an advantage over the GPS type device in that it only warns you if there is a chance of getting caught. Or you may think that you should always be warned 'cos you are in an accident black spot (yeh right!!). Also depends how much you trust your system if you're prepared to speed past a gatso giving no signal.

As for the warning given, this varies a bit on the environment, but frequently this is only just enough to slow down (50 yds ish).
Also sometimes they seem to be in a low power mode, emitting a signal but of a lot lower power than normal (I assume they are not actually operational in this mode), This is the one that really scares you 'cos you get next to no warning until you pass the unit.

Old 01 November 2001, 06:59 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thx Greeny

Most of my driving is local, so i know where the cameras are, think i`ll go for the Bell550 first
Old 07 November 2001, 11:42 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice One Wrexy!