Sponsored by:

running cost of type ra vs wrx sti's

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2006, 05:51 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running cost of type ra vs wrx sti's

was dead set on getting a type RA, still seriously considering it but my sensible side is kicking in

is the running costs of an RA MUCH higher than a normal sti would be ?
insurance is pretty much the same...what about mpg, servicing etc ?

I know ANY subaru isn't really a good optiob if I'm worrying about cost, but there's a limit...

also purchase price is a hell of a lot lower for an sti, especially the estates, but then again the ra might be worth it ! (would definitely be if I wasn't thinking sensibly )
Old 30 May 2006, 06:14 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by twintracks
was dead set on getting a type RA, still seriously considering it but my sensible side is kicking in

I know ANY subaru isn't really a good optiob if I'm worrying about cost, but there's a limit...

also purchase price is a hell of a lot lower for an sti, especially the estates, but then again the ra might be worth it ! (would definitely be if I wasn't thinking sensibly )

There won't be much in running costs I wouldn't have thought. The type ra has a shorter ratio gerabox so will probably be heavier on fuel because of this. The ra may be a little too extreme as a family runabout i.e short gearing, no sound deadening etc. However as a drivers car it is an extremely focused machine with lightning acceleration from three thousand revs up. Service and general maintenance is the same as a normal sti. Is the extrra premium over the normal sti justified? Probably not in my opinion as all sti's make fantastic driver's cars.
Old 30 May 2006, 07:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This 'RA myth' ****e is starting to get on my ****. The WRX Type-RA was the cheapest model in the range ffs. Its little more than a standard WRX with revised gearing a couple of homologation parts and a raft of deleted options!
Old 30 May 2006, 07:33 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
This 'RA myth' ****e is starting to get on my ****. The WRX Type-RA was the cheapest model in the range ffs. Its little more than a standard WRX with revised gearing a couple of homologation parts and a raft of deleted options!
thats exactly what it is!! no spoilers no side skirts no central locking or electric windows imho ****e!!
Old 30 May 2006, 07:40 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

i would still rather have the ra...having seen how much sti's are (and that they are the same engine wise) it's made me think if it's the right thing to buy
Old 30 May 2006, 08:47 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

ANother question....the sti estates...l, m reg , they are 280bhp ?
or are there different versions sti estates too ?
Old 30 May 2006, 09:10 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

If you're planning on modifiying it I'd go for the sti as it will cost you less or you'll get more power for the same money

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2006, 09:25 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

modifying...not sure, depends on insurance really
just been reading http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm#1.4 again, I thought the sti's were to do with engine spec, but according to that WRX's are the same, it's suspension etc that the sti has that's different
confused as **** again ha
Old 30 May 2006, 10:19 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobygez
thats exactly what it is!! no spoilers no side skirts no central locking or electric windows imho ****e!!

Not all. Most of the ra's had the extras added as part of the dealer options ie central locking, windows and air con. It was never intended to be a 'superior' model in any way and was intended as track or rally base something which it does very well. Most of them have have had the missing body acoutrements added as well.

Maz
Old 30 May 2006, 10:29 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

ra, race altered??? so why would they add elecy windows?? think you will find if you look into them them they had winde up windows so they could be changed for perspex.

as for being superior?? it wasnt it was a stripped out rally car more raw and ready if you will. that was the wholke point behind em otherwise you would of bought a wrx.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:35 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

ra, race altered??? so why would they add elecy windows?? think you will find if you look into them them they had winde up windows so they could be changed for perspex.

as for being superior?? it wasnt it was a stripped out rally car more raw and ready if you will. that was the wholke point behind em otherwise you would of bought a wrx.
I have a Wrx ra v limited so am qualified to comment Gez. Yes they did come with keep fit windows but you could order them with electric windows too and the other extras. That is at logger heads with the lightweight and raw ethos but it still came in lighter than the standard wrx and with the group n gearbox and steering made for a faster accelerating car, and no it most definetely was NOT superior.

Maz
Old 30 May 2006, 10:38 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

have just read they didnt have underseal !
surely that's not good! not the end of the world i suppose but for the gae of car can only imagine it's not too good...
have ordered a book i saw on another thread anyway to have a good read about them
Old 30 May 2006, 10:41 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I have a Wrx ra v limited so am qualified to comment Gez. Yes they did come with keep fit windows but you could order them with electric windows too and the other extras. That is at logger heads with the lightweight and raw ethos but it still came in lighter than the standard wrx and with the group n gearbox and steering made for a faster accelerating car, and no it most definetely was NOT superior.

Maz
i own a house but it doesnt mean i can comment on how well the brickie did his job!!!

who am i too judge though??

pointless arguement we all know it isnt superior in any way just stripped of its good bits and made to go and handle better. simple.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:42 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

surely that's not good! not the end of the world i suppose but for the gae of car can only imagine it's not too good...
have ordered a book i saw on another thread anyway to have a good read about them
the p1 book by any chance?? i have it too!!!
Old 30 May 2006, 10:43 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

well p1 on the cover anyway!!
Old 30 May 2006, 10:45 PM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

im here
Old 30 May 2006, 10:47 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

so am i!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 May 2006, 10:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

None of the imports are undersealed mate. Not terminal as it only costs about a hundred quid to get it done and you could probably do it yourself if you have some axle stands.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:49 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

i had a sti type ra and it was good, all the trick bits were there which made it a fun car to drive and easy to convert to a rally car which is what i wanted it for, the dccd is the best thing they fitted, close ratio box was good but the water spray a bit pointless, i'd definitely buy another one or just a type r if not another ra
Old 30 May 2006, 10:50 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

i own a house but it doesnt mean i can comment on how well the brickie did his job!!!

who am i too judge though??

pointless arguement we all know it isnt superior in any way just stripped of its good bits and made to go and handle better. simple.
I meant qualified to comment on wether or not it had leccy windows. Yes it is a pointless arguement as I said it is in no way superior, just a more focused driver's car that's all.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:50 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by nufc1892
im here

Hey nufc you found me this time.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:51 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

None of the import imprezas have underseal
Old 30 May 2006, 10:52 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I meant qualified to comment on wether or not it had leccy windows. Yes it is a pointless arguement as I said it is in no way superior, just a more focused driver's car that's all.
LOL!!! so we are agreed then!!!
Old 30 May 2006, 10:54 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

LOL!!! so we are agreed then!!!
Yes there was never any disagreement just confusion.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:55 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

there sure was!!
Old 30 May 2006, 11:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

There seems to be a lot of confusion about actual models too. Why do peopel keep interchanging the names STI Type-RA and RA/Type-RA; they arent the same thing for f*ck's sake!

The WRX Type-RA was the cheapest car in the range with deleted options shorter gearing and a few other homologation tweaks; it has the same power as a contemporary WRX. The STI Type-RA is a completely different car.....
Old 30 May 2006, 11:25 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...132247-2450259
that book

about the model names
from sidc.com....
In Japan, home of Subaru Impreza, the standard model is known as the WRX (not to be confused with the Australian WRX). Most of the current 2 and 4 door models produce 280 PS (276 BHP), on Japanese 100 RON super unleaded fuel, and between 240 to 260 lb ft of torque. Acceleration times are close to 5 seconds for the 0-62 sprint, however top speeds are limited by Japanese law to 112 mph. A Japanese gentleman's agreement also prevents any production vehicle producing over 280 PS (276 bhp), hence a number of vehicles quote this as their standard output, but are widely accepted to produce more.. Bypassing the speed limiter and releasing more power from the engine can be simply achieved by certain under bonnet modifications, including changes to the engine management system.

according to that the engines are all the same, although I hink it's just referring to 98 on cars (but it doesnt say that) hope this book's a bit clearer
Old 30 May 2006, 11:59 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=twintracks]was dead set on getting a type RA, still seriously considering it but my sensible side is kicking in

also purchase price is a hell of a lot lower for an sti, especially the estates, but then again the ra might be worth it ! (would definitely be if I wasn't thinking sensibly )[/QUOTE

If you can afford the petrol for running a Sti RA get one!, as i'm averaging 15mpg in my RA running a EJ25 at 320 bhp. Absolutly awsome performance and grip and no need for running massive power as 85kg lighter than a normal Sti.
Leaves anything on B roads which you can be bothered to race, It's the best car i've ever owned and the petrol & insurance costs are a small price to pay as the car is very rewarding. The Sti Ra is the only 4 door impreza with a dccd diff and really makes a difference to the handling. The standard brakes are rubbish so invest in some 4 pots for the front and as far as electric windows and bodykits are concerned who needs them anyway. Be hardcore and purchase one and you will never look back. Just pissed off a owner of a orange focus st worth 20 grand today yet to come across a car which will keep up with her.

Last edited by bluerigster; 31 May 2006 at 12:05 AM.