Sponsored by:

PPP'eed off !

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2006, 11:24 AM
TDoyley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP'eed off !

Having recently bought an STI8 PPP (MYO3) I was expecting it to be knocking around the claimed 305 bhp mark claimed by Subaru/Prodrive.

Was a bit suprised then to find on a RR trip to 'G-Force' that my car only made 282 bhp and about the same in torque.

I know the RR was OK because it was a BMW day out and all the M3's were making the grade.

Bloke from G-Force said that hardly any of the PPP's make the estimated figure of 305 bhp however mine was considerably low.

My car was later checked for leaks etc.. and nothing is apparently wrong with it. Other than PPP it is all standard.

Anyone else heard or know of anything like this ?
Old 30 May 2006, 11:47 AM
John57
Scooby Regular

If you do a search on PPP / Prodrive you will find a few threads to read .....
Old 30 May 2006, 11:51 AM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

I think it's something to do with the way the ECU is programmed by Prodrive. As soon as the ecu detects a temp increase (it can get fairly warm on a RR) above a set limit, it cuts the power to save the engine. The prodrive map is setup up with complete safety in mind.
Old 30 May 2006, 12:32 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John57
If you do a search on PPP / Prodrive you will find a few threads to read .....
Common knowledge about the claimed 305. Second the above, some reading for you there. There's been quite a few threads. One i remember saying that the best they had seen from lots of PPP cars was 289bhp. I think that was at Powerstation.
Old 30 May 2006, 01:50 PM
svennard
Scooby Regular

Interesting stuff...

I had the PPP fitted on my STi MY06 last week, following lots of discussions with guys on here and Mike Wood of Prodrive.

Initially I was really pleased - probably due to the better exhaust note, but in all honesty, a week in, I'm feeling a little hard done by - I'm not absoutely convinced that I'm achieving the claimed 315bhp, and similar torque improvement over the standard 276bhp on the MY06 STi.

The car does feel different - obviously the re-map, and exhaust system changes have made some impact - but I'm not sure what exactly.

Contary to what prodrive say, the car is not as smooth as before - its more difficult to drive at low speed, pulling away, in traffic etc, and whilst it might have a little more torque in say, second gear, it actually doesn't seem as fast in third upwards.

And there seems to be more lag - the turbo seems way behind when I put my foot down.

It does go - but somehow, I seem to have to drive it harder to extract the same performance as I had before the PPP..

Whilst I know the upgrade is not as drastic as say, powerstation, I do know the reasons for this (warranty, being the main issue, but not the only one)
but I did expect to really notice a difference of 40bhp and about 50Ibs/ft of torque..

Having said that, if you look at the prodrive performance figures, against the standard STi there's not massive differences, so maybe I expected too much?

Despite feeling a little like a traitor, I've booked the car into powerstation early next week for a dyno to see what I'm actually achieving.

I feel a little bad, as Mike Wood has been very helpful, hence my decision to go the prodrive route, but;

If the dyno shows that I'm not achieving anything like 315bhp, and the associated torque, I will want to know why.

Prodrive have type approval for their systems -

and you get a cert and car sticker which states power upgrade 315bhp - with this in mind, if the car isn't achieving this, then there must be a route for resolving this. This is a generic upgrade, so it should do what it says on the tin.

I'm not going to grumble about the odd bhp here and there, but I suspect that I could be some way adrift from the 315bhp figure stated.

I'd be interested what other STiMY06 PPP people think of their conversion.

Svennard
Old 30 May 2006, 02:35 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

This is interesting as my 06 Sti pulls very very hard in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear.

It runs very smooth and has much more torque lower down the rev range. Cruising in 6th, plant your foot down and it takes off

Im very interested to know what the actual results are though so need to get it RR'd asap.

Please post up your results when you have them.
Old 30 May 2006, 03:29 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by svennard
Interesting stuff...

I had the PPP fitted on my STi MY06 last week, following lots of discussions with guys on here and Mike Wood of Prodrive.

Initially I was really pleased - probably due to the better exhaust note, but in all honesty, a week in, I'm feeling a little hard done by - I'm not absoutely convinced that I'm achieving the claimed 315bhp, and similar torque improvement over the standard 276bhp on the MY06 STi.

The car does feel different - obviously the re-map, and exhaust system changes have made some impact - but I'm not sure what exactly.

Contary to what prodrive say, the car is not as smooth as before - its more difficult to drive at low speed, pulling away, in traffic etc, and whilst it might have a little more torque in say, second gear, it actually doesn't seem as fast in third upwards.

And there seems to be more lag - the turbo seems way behind when I put my foot down.

It does go - but somehow, I seem to have to drive it harder to extract the same performance as I had before the PPP..

Whilst I know the upgrade is not as drastic as say, powerstation, I do know the reasons for this (warranty, being the main issue, but not the only one)
but I did expect to really notice a difference of 40bhp and about 50Ibs/ft of torque..

Having said that, if you look at the prodrive performance figures, against the standard STi there's not massive differences, so maybe I expected too much?

Despite feeling a little like a traitor, I've booked the car into powerstation early next week for a dyno to see what I'm actually achieving.

I feel a little bad, as Mike Wood has been very helpful, hence my decision to go the prodrive route, but;

If the dyno shows that I'm not achieving anything like 315bhp, and the associated torque, I will want to know why.

Prodrive have type approval for their systems -

and you get a cert and car sticker which states power upgrade 315bhp - with this in mind, if the car isn't achieving this, then there must be a route for resolving this. This is a generic upgrade, so it should do what it says on the tin.

I'm not going to grumble about the odd bhp here and there, but I suspect that I could be some way adrift from the 315bhp figure stated.

I'd be interested what other STiMY06 PPP people think of their conversion.

Svennard
That's weird, you seem to be having the opposite characteristics. Hopefully the Powerstation run will show you why.

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2006, 07:10 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi just put a deposit on an Sti Spec D so will be interested to see your RR results. Powerstation option with a warranty sounds pretty good but mixed feelings to be honest about going away from main dealer options - my old MY02 Bugeye STI PPP never made anything like the 305 PS claimed although Evos all seemed to be on the money on the same day, mine had the old piggy back chip, not vert sophisticated to be honest,however later remap versions faired no better- I was told that the car made the figures on the road....yeah like that can be proved....So why is the Sti so power shy on the rollers even with a massive blower on the Intercooler?, I wonder if anything has changed?
The standard WRX seems to gain a huge torque increase, I would bet in the real world this lighter car is as quick as an STI on the road...
Wouldnt mind the up and coming new T25 engine in mine...how much Ian?
Enough prods for one day.
Nice to be back in the flock (soon) anyway.
Old 30 May 2006, 07:54 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

there was a thread a couple of weeks ago where standard sti 06 were putting out good bhp with just new backbox.
i hada ppp 03 sti was not happy with it for various reasons mainly driveability and got it remapped by tsl much much better,i think the problem lies with prodrive having to do a safe map for obvious reasons therefore ecu protects the engine if it detects a waft of warm air retards ignition preventing detonation but decreasing bhp eg most rolling roads-my 03 ppp got 299bhp at star performance
martin
Old 31 May 2006, 07:26 AM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil W
This is interesting as my 06 Sti pulls very very hard in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear.

It runs very smooth and has much more torque lower down the rev range. Cruising in 6th, plant your foot down and it takes off

Im very interested to know what the actual results are though so need to get it RR'd asap.

Please post up your results when you have them.
Mine goes like a train now aswell, no complaints with PPP what so ever after doing over 5k