Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessening whiplash while on track

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2000, 12:00 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you can buy a neckbrace from a number of suppliers.
Somewhat related - I was watching coverage of last rally and Carlos Sainz wore a full face helmet for the first time in his career in San Remo.
Chuck
Old 24 October 2000, 12:03 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

I wonder whether that has anything to do with Colin McRae's recent cheekbone damage after only using an open faced helmet.
Old 24 October 2000, 12:15 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

The best way to avoid whiplash whilst track driving is to do the whole session in reverse. If you hit anything then Hey Presto! the head restraint absorbs the impact.

It is prudent to point out at this time that sudden acceleration should be avoided in case 'reverse whiplash' is incurred, which may leave you with a very sore chin and upper sternum.

It is also prudent to point out that my sheer boredom at work has prompted me post this and that I shall immediately fetch my coat from the rack and begin plans to emigrate to Addis Ababa.

blubs
Old 24 October 2000, 12:25 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tried that at Donnington.
Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Old 24 October 2000, 12:45 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread this...quite a few of the guys who race karts with me use neck braces. Always wondered why as they are not going to make immediate impact with a solid object unless they are unlucky when they go off. However, having borrowed one from a mate it seemed to help when going into banzai full speed corners. My head/helmet only moved down to rest on the neck brace rather than being pushed as far as my shoulders as previously happened.

Not sure what would happen in a car though as the rally prepared cars have full harnesses which restrict movement in the event of an accident, whereas standard road cars don't.

Yex
Old 24 October 2000, 11:50 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Question

A guy at work was talking about wrapping a towel around your neck when on the track as this should lessen the effects of whiplash if anything goes wrong.

I wasn't too sure about this. Anyone else heard of this practice or anything else which can reduce whiplash in the case of a jarring incident.

DocJock? Anyone?

I would be apprehensive about wrapping a rolled towel arond my neck, as surely on impact the seat might push the rolled towel against some of the vertebrae of the neck, and then with the towel only pushing against some of the vertebrae - this is asking for trouble.

[This message has been edited by AWD (edited 24 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by AWD (edited 24 October 2000).]
Old 24 October 2000, 01:16 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

AWD you ***** - not getting worried about what I might do to you on Friday are you? There's no shame in chickening out - you can always sit in a stand and watch, which you could even try without your helmet!
Old 24 October 2000, 01:47 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Trig

I am worried about the smell of fear eminating from you.

Just ensuring my safety when you embark on a series of on track AP tests while going sideways.

Have you given the to55er a good kicking yet?
Sorry guys - Trig and I work for someone who is a total cretin with less right to roam the Earth than a weasel. He wanders around saying "cool" all the time and drives me nuts!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggggg!! Doesn't help that he's incompetent either.

Sorry - rant over....
Old 24 October 2000, 02:07 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

cool LOL

The F1 drivers adopted the neck braces after Senna's sad acident untill they altered the cars design.

Dont use a towell for god's sake, it could kill you. The proper neck braces are designed to support in the right places and provide a controlled distortion on impact.

A towell will act like a solid and cause more harm that good IMHO.