Sponsored by:

Reduce noise, retain performance

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2006, 10:54 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduce noise, retain performance

I've been slowly modding the car to be similar to a "package" upgrade. But i opted to retain the 2.5" bore, over a 3" system to keep the noise down, for wife/kiddo reasons.

I had the parts fitted yesterday: Harveys headers, up-pipe, Afterburner decat downpipe, AB decat pipe, AB centre and Ninja Backbox, Walbro 255. Panel filter.

I've not even been over 3,500 revs yet (CEL).The thing IS NOISY!
(had a decat on my classic and it was nowhere near this level)

Drove about 120 miles on the motorway yesterday and it's headache material. Wifey hasn't driven it yet, but it's probably not gonna be welcome and i don't know if they do ear plugs for a 18m old

If i buy a resonated centre (Ninja) would that help the noise? But retain performance.

What are my other options??? Would like some advice before i waste any money for no benefit.

- Bung?
- Standard backbox back on?

I don't know??

(Off the Andy F's this arvo, can't wait, feels like Christmas today!! )
Old 24 May 2006, 11:15 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

i know H&S do a bung for the exhaust thats supposed to minimise noise only about £20 os so quid , maybe worth loking into that
Old 24 May 2006, 11:24 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

What car?

A standard STI back box can be had nearly new for bugger all money and they aren't that restrictive.

I have a Prodrive one along with a decat and it still retains a nice burble and is throaty on full chat but is not intrusive when cruising. I do have a resonator though so don't know how much diff this will make. They can be had second hand too.

The bungs will make it quieter and are probably a cheaper option but don't they restrict the flow lots? Otherwise why aren't they fitted as standard?
Old 24 May 2006, 11:28 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

LOL, I've got exactly the same setup (apart from headers) on my 05 WRX and wifey also drives car as much as me with our 2 1/2 yr old..!

It is the ninja BB that creates the noise although it isn't too bad IMHO (more of a deep rumble until you really give it some) and is considered one of the better jap back boxes believe it or not..!

It's 95% the bb and not so much the decat as I put bb on before decat and was worried it was going to be a lot louder once decatted. However I found that it really wasn't any different. It's a nice sound and on mine isn't boomy on the m'way, but I do occasionally think about getting something a bit quieter, lol..

PS is your up/down pipe and centre wrapped..? Mine are and maybe the centre pipe wrapping made the difference..?
Old 24 May 2006, 11:30 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

PS wait until it's been remapped before making your mind up. I somehow feel you might not be so bothered about the noise once it's been done..!
Old 24 May 2006, 11:31 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Revolution exhaust system will not rob you power but it is quiet inside the car and sounds OK from the outside.
Old 24 May 2006, 11:37 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
LOL, I've got exactly the same setup (apart from headers) on my 05 WRX and wifey also drives car as much as me with our 2 1/2 yr old..!

It is the ninja BB that creates the noise although it isn't too bad IMHO (more of a deep rumble until you really give it some) and is considered one of the better jap back boxes believe it or not..!

It's 95% the bb and not so much the decat as I put bb on before decat and was worried it was going to be a lot louder once decatted. However I found that it really wasn't any different. It's a nice sound and on mine isn't boomy on the m'way, but I do occasionally think about getting something a bit quieter, lol..

PS is your up/down pipe and centre wrapped..? Mine are and maybe the centre pipe wrapping made the difference..?
OK, so it's the BB that makes the noise. It was OK, when just that was fitted, but now it's crazy. I'll wait to see after the remap then.

Yes, the uppipe is wrapped, but not the down/centre.
Old 24 May 2006, 11:39 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
A Revolution exhaust system will not rob you power but it is quiet inside the car and sounds OK from the outside.
Hmmm, that sounds like the perfect one then. I'll send a PM to Colin@Revolution.

Is that a 3"?

Last edited by GazTheHat; 24 May 2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 24 May 2006, 11:40 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tuts
What car?

A standard STI back box can be had nearly new for bugger all money and they aren't that restrictive.

I have a Prodrive one along with a decat and it still retains a nice burble and is throaty on full chat but is not intrusive when cruising. I do have a resonator though so don't know how much diff this will make. They can be had second hand too.

The bungs will make it quieter and are probably a cheaper option but don't they restrict the flow lots? Otherwise why aren't they fitted as standard?
I've still got all the original parts, so putting that back on is an option. Especially if the BB is the one making all the noise. I'll check out this Revolution exhaust as well.

Thanks all for the comments.
Old 24 May 2006, 11:53 AM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

I have a 94 wrx import and i could do with a bit more of a burble, is there a resonaor box in my exhaust i can remove to improve the sound??
Cheers
Old 24 May 2006, 12:10 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrMagoo
I have a 94 wrx import and i could do with a bit more of a burble, is there a resonaor box in my exhaust i can remove to improve the sound??
Cheers
theres a cat in yer downpipe that will definatly help
Old 24 May 2006, 12:28 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

Yeah but if i decat it wont i run the risk of overboost?? Dont wanna go messing with the engine, wanna keep it pretty stock, would just like a nicer a bit louder burble!
Old 24 May 2006, 12:34 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrMagoo
Yeah but if i decat it wont i run the risk of overboost?? Dont wanna go messing with the engine, wanna keep it pretty stock, would just like a nicer a bit louder burble!
Time for a different backbox it sounds like. I think the resonator only helps cabin noise. It stops the drone.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Don't spend a fortune on an entire 3 inch system if you don't need it mate (and if I understand it correctly you won't unless you're going for more than 350bhp) Go for either a Revolution or magnex oval backbox, both of which are much quieter than the Ninja. The backbox is the villian of the peace when it comes to noise and -as you've found out- what can sound ok when you've just got a different backbox can be rendered unsuitable when you've changed the rest of the system.

I have a H&S sports cat DP, resonated decat centre, and original scooby design backbox and I'd argue that's about as loud as you'd want to go if you're senstive to the noise issue. Sounds great though!!!

Ns04
Old 24 May 2006, 01:51 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Revolution 3"