Sponsored by:

please help - info needed

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 03:48 PM
turbodan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help - info needed

Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before but I cant get an answer through the search. Im looking at getting a WRX-STI-PPP Impreza newer than 3 years. At what point did A-DCCD become a std feature and is it worth having? My current motor is an fq300 but im considering a scooby. Would an STI 3 years old have DCCD? Dont see it advertised on many cars.

Can anyone help?
Old 22 May 2006, 04:01 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbodan
Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before but I cant get an answer through the search. Im looking at getting a WRX-STI-PPP Impreza newer than 3 years. At what point did A-DCCD become a std feature and is it worth having? My current motor is an fq300 but im considering a scooby. Would an STI 3 years old have DCCD? Dont see it advertised on many cars.

Can anyone help?
I could be wrong, but I think it was late 04 cars onwards with dccd unless they were jap imports in which case I think MY53 cars had DCCD.

Sorry I could be wrong but I'm sure somebody with loads more knowledge of which model had what and when will be along soon.

GB
Old 22 May 2006, 04:18 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Remember, that the DCCD-A is not as advanced as the combination of AYC and ACD in the EVO. The DCCD can only shift torque front to back, the AYC/ACD can shift torque front/back and side to side.

BUT, I loved my EVO, but my STi has more character and seems to reward good driving better than the EVO (which was just so capable that you could take more liberties).
Old 22 May 2006, 04:29 PM
turbodan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
Remember, that the DCCD-A is not as advanced as the combination of AYC and ACD in the EVO. The DCCD can only shift torque front to back, the AYC/ACD can shift torque front/back and side to side.

BUT, I loved my EVO, but my STi has more character and seems to reward good driving better than the EVO (which was just so capable that you could take more liberties).
Im going to test drive one tomorrow I think. Problem is with Evos is the depreciation - ive lost 5K in less than a year (I bought from a dealer...).

1 point though - AYC is only shifts torque side to side, not front to back. ACD is simply the time delay of locking the diffs. Im not saying DCCD is better or worse than AYC though. AYC is has to be said is terrific though when it works.
Old 22 May 2006, 04:48 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbodan
Im going to test drive one tomorrow I think. Problem is with Evos is the depreciation - ive lost 5K in less than a year (I bought from a dealer...).

1 point though - AYC is only shifts torque side to side, not front to back. ACD is simply the time delay of locking the diffs. Im not saying DCCD is better or worse than AYC though. AYC is has to be said is terrific though when it works.
Yep AYC shifts torque side to side (at the rear only, I've got one in bits in the garage, fantastic design) and is completly different to DCCD. It actively controls the rear to control yaw rate and prevent it spinning while allowing a setup with NO understeer.

ACD does shift torque front to back sort of. The diff has a multi plate hydraulically operated clutch. Runs from fully open to fully locked under the control of an ECU controlled modulating valve.

Found this page on the design of the ACD (no experience of ACD personally, my EVO 5 did not have it).

http://www.btrprep.com/e7_qa.htm

Last edited by Gary C; 22 May 2006 at 05:00 PM.