Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobiliser Certificate

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2000, 12:48 AM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The two imprezas (MY96 & MY98) I've owned only came with Cat 2 immobiliser as standard. Based on this, I've always added a full extra Cat 1 system. IIRC the immobiliser on the MY99 isnt even cat 2 as the engine will start momentarily. I believe the OEM systems (Cobra?) are fitted at the docks or at IM, not by the dealers.
Old 23 October 2000, 12:50 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

What happens when you change car / insurance company? do you get the certificate back? as Direct Line insist on having the original.

Old 23 October 2000, 10:27 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

I have just insure my UK MY99 with DirectLine, but they are asking for a Certificate to prove that the car has got a Thatcham 1 alarm/immob fitted. As this is std on the car, where can I get this? I called the supplying dealer (Vale in Wincanton) who said that the alarm isn't dealer-fitted.
Has anybody else had this problem, and how did you sort it out?
Old 23 October 2000, 10:34 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

You should definitely have got the certificate for the alarm/immobiliser when you bought the car. I found mine in the black folder inside the glovebox (Good idea to remove it from there as it won't be a lot of use if it gets taken with the car!).

I think the dealer is talking rubbish (surprise, surprise)as the date on the certificate I have would lead me to believe that the alarm IS fitted by the dealer.
Old 23 October 2000, 10:48 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have looked in the glove box folder, and there is the instruction booklet for the alarm, which has sticker in the back, but alas no certificate.
I will try IM customer services.
Old 23 October 2000, 11:34 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Regarding the CAT1 alarms that are standard fit.. they are fitted at the factory, not at the dealer, but the dealer fills in the certificate at time of purchase before handing you the keys... NOTE though, that I had a problem where the dealer needed to be reminded to do this, as they sometimes take the certificate and loose it or 'filed' it as they prefer to say.

I never had to produce the certificate to privilege, but the new owner of my MY00 does, however he cant find it in the black folder in the glovebox, and I dont have it as I never took it out of said folder, plus the dealer isnt being very helpful apparently. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Alex

PS. the situation with it getting lost was with the second car I bought from them, my P1.
Old 23 October 2000, 11:50 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with a standard ford immobliser on my fiesta. After contacting the dealer I got no joy, so just popped round to my local ICE/Alarm installer and they checked it and filled out the cerfificate for about £15 I think!
Old 23 October 2000, 01:09 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

On my MY00 UK turbo, the Sigma alarm was fitted by Subaru UK, then the certificate was filled in at time of purchase by the dealer (or so I seem to remember). The same was done with my P1 (although they lost it for a while, the certificate that is! ).

And yes, the insurance company should return it at the end of your policy..

Rgds, Alex
Old 23 October 2000, 03:32 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

The certificate was returned with my new policy, about a month later.
Old 23 October 2000, 06:11 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I had to get mine 'Re-certificated' by a Thatcham registered installer. It costs about £20.

The 'Certificate of Intallation' is the same as you would get for a new installation and is in three parts (carbon). They are also embossed like MOT's - so that is why the insurance companies need to <B>see</B> them.

The certificating dealer keeps a copy, the Insurance company should get one copy and you keep the other - don't know what happens if you then change companies on renewal - but with all this modern data flow between companies they could surely pass it on to the new company... ?????

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 23 October 2000, 06:24 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies.
I phoned IM - they are writing a letter stating that vehicle XXX XXX has a Sigma M30, etc.
Direct Line have said this will be okay.
Nobody in IM or the dealer seems to know anything about the certificate...