Sponsored by:

Right hand drive Impreza purity

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2000, 04:50 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here’s one for ya.

We all hear that whichever way a car is designed from scratch is the most pure version of that car.

For instance buying an M3 or M5 or Porsche in left hand form is the way the car was originally built so, the logic goes, it will be the way the car handles and performs best compared to compromises when the steering wheel and pedals and dash are swapped over for the RHD market.

So the Impreza is designed from scratch as a RHD car, does that mean that LHD models are inherently inferior and lack a certain something in the actual ride?
Old 21 October 2000, 05:16 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Like the rally cars, you mean?
Old 21 October 2000, 05:17 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

If that is the case then why Prodrive always built LHD rally cars for it's works operation?
Old 21 October 2000, 05:31 PM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

There's a question that almost smells of P1 WR, you've been reading the muppet thread too much!!!
Old 21 October 2000, 05:34 PM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

There's a question that almost smells of P1 WR, you've been reading the muppet thread too much!!!
Old 21 October 2000, 08:55 PM
Boost
Scooby Regular

Angry

The Impreza handbook seems to suggest that if I'd have bought a left hand drive I'd be able to independently shut off flow from the different air vents. This makes it far superior in my opinion as girlfriend and I have very diferent temperature comforts.
IMHO this is even more inexplicable than the bright button.
Old 21 October 2000, 09:26 PM
Mr555
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by clarence:
<B>If that is the case then why Prodrive always built LHD rally cars for it's works operation?[/quote]

Why are top rally cars LHD? Think about it, besides Australia and UK, they spend most of their time on LHD roads, and spend a hell of a lot of time on road sections, arguably where being on the "correct" side offers the greatest benefit (e.g. how would you fancy doing some of the crazy public road overtaking they do on road sections sitting on the wrong side of the car?).

Mind you, all of the daft overtaking I've seen has admittedly been at the Rally GB, and it was actually quite safe as the other road traffic was either trying to get tto the stage too, and was only too pleased to let one of the WRC guys come past them, or was local traffic coming the other way, well used to Rally GB and its effect on road congestion.

Hey, I stand by my point!

Old 22 October 2000, 12:07 PM
ANDY Mc
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Well i have a 95MY LHD turbo & i can tell u
that the handling seems in no way inferior to the right hand drive cars, I have driven right hand drive impreza's & in my opinion there is no difference in the handling at all If the impreza was originaly conceived as a rally car then in line with your thery the LHD cars must be th pure cars & the rhd the inferior cars? but maybe there are no inferior impreza's?
Old 22 October 2000, 12:29 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

I recall looking at a WRC shell which the Fire Brigade had a practice on,apart from the missing roof it was basically the same as a right hand drive car ie all the holes were in the bulkhead to make it RHD or LHD.Not sure whether it was Prodrive thing or not due to all the lovely welding (it was an ex Safari car)

Regards

Steve

P.S All LHD/RHD cars are designed for each individual market as far as I know(so far as Subs are concerned)
Old 22 October 2000, 05:32 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Mr555,
The question is whether LHD GC8s are inferior to RHD GC8s. I posed the question asking if it's inferior then why all works WRC cars are LHD. I know it's because most of the rallies are held in LHD areas, so they build LHD WRC cars. I'm sure if RHD is really superior then works teams will build their machines using RHD shells regardless of what.
The reason why some BMWs are better in LHD form is because the way the engine comparment layout is-it affects the placement of components such as brake master cylinders etc.
Old 23 October 2000, 10:03 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Nice to have a clutch foot-rest with LHD. Also quite practical when driving in Switzerland

Richard