Sponsored by:

Urgent STI 8 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2006, 01:24 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urgent STI 8 Questions

I am going to see / purchase an STI 8 on an 03 plate tommrow.

I need an answer to the following:
  • At what mileage is the Cambelt changed?
  • The car has 40K on the clock, are there any major services that are comming up?
  • How many services should the car already have had?
  • This STI has the low level spoiler...is there any reason for this? i have seen afew STI's advertised like this...??
Thanks
--Sam
Old 14 May 2006, 01:33 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the cambelt etc.. services every 10k

but other things to watch out for on an 03 is the clonking rear struts,tracker draining the battery and a re-call on oil gallery pipes.
Old 14 May 2006, 01:38 AM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

cambelt 60k, check rear shockers as they almost always stick and clonk! Apart from that make sure its PPP!!! Or JDM. UK STIs can be embarrassed by seemingly lesser cars unless kept 'on the boil!!'
Old 14 May 2006, 01:45 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

no ppp, but will be either ppp or tsl 333 after i get the car...

how much is the 60K service...rough price...

any thoughts on the spoiler?

Also the dealer selling it does not want to give me a warranty on the car, he said something like: i cant give you a warranty on a car like this...i tink he mean turbo'd sports cars maybe, as if drivent he wrong way they could go pop....no?
Old 14 May 2006, 02:18 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

the dealers website states all cars sold will be given with a free 28 day warranty cover....so i guess he will have no choice...as it does not mention any exclusions....

never been to a dealer to buy a car before....is there anything i should be vary off? should i be expecting the to be resprayed in places and in a state as it possibly may be if it was a private sale?
Old 14 May 2006, 02:18 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cambelt is at 50k, just booked my 03 WRX PPP in Main dealer IRO £450, independent IRO £280, I got it for £210

40k is just an oil change and check-over.

Car should have had 1k oil change, 10,20,30 & 40k. A sensible owner would have also changed the oil & filter at the interim 5k's.

02 STi's came with the low level ironing board spoiler unless Prodrive Style. All 03's came with STi high level spoiler, which has probably been sold on before PX (or by the dealer to a mate). Check if the bootlid flies up quickly indicating it still has the springs for the much heavier wing, and confirm by checking the bootlid sticker to see if the VIN no. matches the rest of the car and docs. Also consider that a genuine STi wing will set you back almost £1k from a main dealer, and £350+ for a replica, which is why it may have been swapped over

If you're paying dealer prices then a warranty is a must. If they're just a 2nd hand car dealer then I understand them not offering one, but could you get a similar car with a 1-2 year extended from a main dealer If you TSL it the warranty will be shot anyway though.

Lots out there in mint condition with all the toys so don't jump in if there is even the slightest doubt that it isn't what you want
Old 14 May 2006, 02:34 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

A sticker on the boot lid:
Will i find this as i open the lid on the inside?

Well the car is costing £12k, which i though was quite good with two owners. It has 18 Wheels ad tinted windows.

Last question is the scoop...Have all the STI's come with the larger bonet scoop as i think the small ones are ont he wrx's? i think this has a small though i can not clarify untill tommrow??
Old 14 May 2006, 02:54 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The 28 day warranty is statutory; he doesnt have any choice. Id turn down Elmers offer though; as I wouldnt touch the car with a ****ty stick! The dealer sounds like a ****; you know itll end in tears..... Subarus depreciate hugely so Im sure that youll be able to find a warranted car for reasonable money. Remember too, that theres no such thing as a cheap Impreza!

Simon
Old 14 May 2006, 02:56 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

All STI '03s have a noticably larger and uglier intercooler scoop. Low level spoiler + small scoop (dealer says f*ck-all warranty Pal) = keep on walking!
Old 14 May 2006, 02:58 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
re-call on oil gallery pipes.
What recall ?

Not had anything on my 53 plate STi i've had from new.
Old 14 May 2006, 03:28 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If it has the small scoop and low level spoiler it is almost definately a WRX, NOT an STi. Look at the brakes, they should be Brembo's, it shouldn't have front foglights, rather covers with STi badging. The covers pop off easily, so have a look behind if it has them, if there are light behind it is a WRX masquerading as an STi. The side sills should be profiled, WRX ones are quite plain. The front bumper should have aero splitter extensions which sweep around the front of the bumper at the bottom. The exhaust pipe should be embossed STi. The alloys should be of a double 5 spoke pattern with spokes which splay out slightly and have 2 indents between each large gap, and be fitted with 225/45/17 tyres. WRX wheels have double 5 spokes but the pairs of spokes are parallel and the tyres would be 215/45/17. There should be an alloy surround around the 6 speed gear lever, the WRX is 5sp without the surround. The seats and dorr trims will have blue alcantara inserts where WRX are all black. An STi will have a rev shift light and buzzer, and the dials will have STi on them, as well as the steering wheel. The WRX dials have "IMPREZA" on them and the wheel is a Momo. Under the bonnet the intercooler will be bigger and have STi written on it in red and a pink "Type UK" badge, and the inlet manifolds will be red. There should be an STi badge on the front grille and another on the rear with "Type UK" beneath it.

HTH.

STi............................................... .........................................WRX

Last edited by corradoboy; 14 May 2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 14 May 2006, 09:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front fogs were an optional extra
As stated though, red top engine, STi intercooler, Brembo brakes, 6 speed gearbox, STi logo's on most things in the interior.
Keep on looking

Tony
Old 14 May 2006, 09:47 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

stick up a link/and or pics of the car matey
To me it sounds like you are about to buy a wrx in sti clothing
Old 14 May 2006, 09:56 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Inside the car the seats should have sti logos, sti logo on wheel, rev counter in middle of display, 6 speed box and ic water spray button.
Car should have high level spoiler. Intercooler should have sti written on it.
These items are in addition to those already mentioned.
If in any doubt simply walk away, its not as if these cars a rare
If it is a sheep in a wolfs clothing, the log book should reveal all.
Nik.
Old 14 May 2006, 10:37 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Dealer Website is: http://www.breezemotorco.com/ The car is in Auto trader without a pic for £11995!

2003 SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX STi
4 Doors, Manual 6 speed, Saloon, Petrol, 40,000 miles, Metallic Blue, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Body kit, CD, Central locking, Colour coding - Body, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Immobiliser, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Tinted glass. 18" gold wheels the car in mint no test pilots please £11,995.
Tel: 01642 611606
Distance: 214 miles
Price: £11,995

Not sure how to post a link to the autotrader site....

Afew things that have concerned me are:
  • He is not willing to offer me any or even the standard warranty offered with there cars.
  • Low level spoiler
  • Low level bonet scoop
Apart from this he is i cant justify a 600 mile trip up north for a car that i will have to furthure spend to get it looking right! and its too car to walk away if any doubts....as i am having them already....

The dealer assures me that this STI is standard and nothing has been changed..

Guys...thanks for all the input, i am just glad i decided to post up the questions last night...think i will be giving this car a miss!
Old 14 May 2006, 10:50 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I know that garage - they must have changed their name recently, as I think they were called something else last year... You'd think they could have spelt 'guarantees' correctly on their home page

When I was looking for my car, I came across an STI that had had the spoiler and scoop changed for WRX ones. The dealer said that the person who'd bought it new had specified them as he preferred the look to the STI ones

Have you asked them to confirm that it's a UK car? If it's the garage I'm thinking of they normally have import Imprezas rather than UK models, which would account for the cheaper price...

Last edited by lordretsudo; 14 May 2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Dont even bother with it. Guy sounds like a real tit.
Like the headrest bit in the description bearing in mind the type of seats these cars have. Dont know about anybody else but my seats are one piece
I cant see why it would have a small scoob unless the original was replaced ie for accident damage.
Keep looking as there are plent fine examples around.
Nik

Originally Posted by SamUK
Dealer Website is: http://www.breezemotorco.com/ The car is in Auto trader without a pic for £11995!

4 Doors, Manual 6 speed, Saloon, Petrol, 40,000 miles, Metallic Blue, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Body kit, CD, Central locking, Colour coding - Body, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Immobiliser, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Tinted glass. 18" gold wheels the car in mint no test pilots please £11,995.

• He is not willing to offer me any or even the standard warranty offered with there cars.
  • Low level spoiler
  • Low level bonet scoop
Apart from this he is i cant justify a 600 mile trip up north for a car that i will have to furthure spend to get it looking right! and its too car to walk away if any doubts....as i am having them already....

Guys...thanks for all the input, i am just glad i decided to post up the questions last night...think i will be giving this car a miss!
Old 14 May 2006, 02:15 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Might be just me but i cannot see the car on his website, sounds as fishy as a bag of mackeral.

Mac
Old 14 May 2006, 03:38 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

yhpm
Old 14 May 2006, 06:06 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

sounds like a right load of tosh to me.
you will know when its right.......you wont have to ask anyone elses opinion
Old 14 May 2006, 09:09 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

The STI 8 has more fixing holes on the bootlid for the larger spoiler compared with the WRX one. Therefore, it is not just a case of swapping the spoilers - the bootlid with spoilers need to be changed.

Before I bought mine, I looked at one with a small bootlid spoiler. The reason was the guy did not like the big spoiler at all and so got the dealer to swap the spoiler with a WRX from the showroom.

This I can just understand however bearing in mind the function of the intercooler intake on the bonnet, I could not see a dealer swapping them over as it may be harmful to the engine.........

In hindsight, I suppose swapping the rear spoilers must be a bit daft as the sales brochure said the larger rear wing provided additional downforce at highre speeds so it could be argued that by changing to a smaller wing, you could be harming the cars handling.

Finally, if you are buying from a dealers (and paying the additional premium for this) you may as well go to a Subaru dealers - they put each car through a proven test which identifies and rectifies any defects which is peace of mind - the normal trader will not do this.

BTW - I can recommend the TSL 333!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.
Old 15 May 2006, 10:47 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i reckon it will be an 02 bugeye non prodrive style car avoid and buy from subaru dealer or there will be tears if you buy this one,plenty more around and get tsl 333 with chargecooler
martin
Old 15 May 2006, 11:07 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Okay guys, as i have now decided on an STI 8...my wifes cousion lives in Japan and imports cars to the UK for a living...and i have asked him to search for me. He recons he can get me a nice 03 Plate STI with near 15K on the clock delivered to my door for near £11K.

Apparantly in Japan Every Thursday they have an auction with 10,000 odd cars...

Failing all i was thinking of flying out for £400 to check it out...and have a holiday and find the right car... but thats all a BIG maybe...#

I have afew more cars to check out in the UK first...can someone please post up some pics of the interior of the STI 8...just so that for when i go see a car i can make sure all correct bits are infact on the car and not been changed....!

**Pics provided by Stephen on my previous post**

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...1052006021.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...1052006023.jpg
Old 15 May 2006, 01:27 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Okay guys, as i have now decided on an STI 8...my wifes cousion lives in Japan and imports cars to the UK for a living...and i have asked him to search for me. He recons he can get me a nice 03 Plate STI with near 15K on the clock delivered to my door for near £11K.

Apparantly in Japan Every Thursday they have an auction with 10,000 odd cars...

Failing all i was thinking of flying out for £400 to check it out...and have a holiday and find the right car... but thats all a BIG maybe...#

I have afew more cars to check out in the UK first...can someone please post up some pics of the interior of the STI 8...just so that for when i go see a car i can make sure all correct bits are infact on the car and not been changed....!

**Pics provided by Stephen on my previous post**

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...1052006021.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...1052006023.jpg
Mine has Prodrive springs, TSL 333, front & rear strut braces, 18" PFF7's, all of which are not standard, so bear that in mind before you use my car photos for comparison!!! Before some smart @ss makes the comment, I know you cannot see the strut braces from the photos (but I like to boeast I have them!!)

And if you are lucky:

If you need iany more information, let me know and I will take some more pictures (at work just now.)
Old 15 May 2006, 02:36 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

just sent you a pm....
Old 15 May 2006, 04:19 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Default Anotherone Bites the DUST!

Heres another one....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...DME:L:RTQ:UK:1

I was considering going to see this car tommrow, however i am having doubts again!! so have decided not to...

I can't understand how people can drive a STI and not know what the standard features of the car are! this car has had its steering wheel changed...i spoke to the guy and he claims that its original , he also claims the car is in very good condition...However he said he wants £11500 for the car...which makes you worry even moer as this is a UK car! His telephone manners were little poop though..

I am now waiting on the auction in Japan, hopefully get details on Thursday with pics and specs from my wifes cousion and make my decision then. He said i could possibly pick up on 03/04 plate with near 15K on the clock, or maybe even an EVO 8....Sooooo fingers crossed...
Old 15 May 2006, 06:52 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

• Low level spoiler
  • Low level bonet scoop

I would have ripped the ******* heart out if i had driven up to see this car! i sent the guy pictures to make sure it is the newer shape and he confirmed it all...and guess what....its NOT! he has finally got pics up on his Autotrader add..

Dealers....will do anything to waste your time.!

Its an X reg as from the pics....but the add says 2003 STI, but has the round lights! can this be? Still not on his site, but is on Autotrader..

Last edited by SamUK; 15 May 2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 15 May 2006, 07:10 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Sam,

I returned your PM.

Did anyone else see the roof scoop on the Ebay advert? What is this - a cheap stick on one or it this potentially a Type C???

In response to the question on the X plate bugeye - again I am unsure but this does seem strange.

If you want my opinion, here it is:

1. Do not buy an expensive car off Ebay

2. Shop around for a better car - I would suggest a UK car for reasons such as petrol, insuance, service history etc

3. It is a buyers market - shop around

4. Do not buy from a dealer

5. If you do buy from a dealer, go to a Subaru one

6. Don't do anything rash

7. Try and look for one on here from an enthusiast - you will end up getting a far better deal and you wil get sh!tloads of history (you can read previous owners previous posts)
Old 15 May 2006, 08:12 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
Sam,

I returned your PM.

Did anyone else see the roof scoop on the Ebay advert? What is this - a cheap stick on one or it this potentially a Type C???

In response to the question on the X plate bugeye - again I am unsure but this does seem strange.

If you want my opinion, here it is:

1. Do not buy an expensive car off Ebay

2. Shop around for a better car - I would suggest a UK car for reasons such as petrol, insuance, service history etc

3. It is a buyers market - shop around

4. Do not buy from a dealer

5. If you do buy from a dealer, go to a Subaru one

6. Don't do anything rash

7. Try and look for one on here from an enthusiast - you will end up getting a far better deal and you wil get sh!tloads of history (you can read previous owners previous posts)

Stephen,

That is no Spec C scoop,looks like a plastic add on, Sam, shop around mate and i reckon this site is the best place to buy and as Stephen says you can get some cracking reservations from others.

Good luck.

Mac
Old 15 May 2006, 09:04 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Have you tried piston heads or Autotrader?

Heres one much nearer you and still under warranty. Plenty out there!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/77959.htm

Quick Reply: Urgent STI 8 Questions