Sponsored by:

WR1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2006, 09:06 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 questions

i'm currently looking for scoob with a budget of around 23k.found a black sti with ppp at a local dealer(Quenby's anyone dealt with them?)but they've sold it but they do have a mint WR1 for 25k.
now the questions,
is this about the right price(it has around 3k of extra's on it and 7500 miles)
are they that much better than a sti with ppp
is it worth the extra servicing cost's
any known probs with them

help me out peeps please
Old 09 May 2006, 09:12 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

WR1 probably holds its value slightly better than an STi although it was higher initial purchase price £30K
Wr1 has 316bhp (ish) compared to 305 on sti ppp. In reality not alot in them on the roads I shouldn't think.

Check out the for sale area on here, probably loads of deals much better than the one you are being offered at the moment.

ps ...extra's count for nothing ......

Gary
Old 09 May 2006, 09:13 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

www.wr1oc.co.uk
Old 09 May 2006, 09:15 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by treehack
i'm currently looking for scoob with a budget of around 23k.found a black sti with ppp at a local dealer(Quenby's anyone dealt with them?)but they've sold it but they do have a mint WR1 for 25k.
now the questions,

help me out peeps please
Check out Litchfield imports. Iain has got some great cars in for that sort of money (way better than a WR1)
I think there might even be a type 25 somewhere near your budget.
Old 09 May 2006, 09:20 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Personal choice. In my opinion, the WR1 is a beautiful car - that colour alone is briliant. It is also that bit more exclusive.

As I understand it, the additional serving comprises of more regular oil and filter changes every 3k miles (which most enthusiasts will do anyway.)

Of course, it would be worth the extra cost as it will keep the FSSH.
Old 09 May 2006, 09:22 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

You can have mine for £21500 .No mods and 11600 miles,fsh etc etc.
You will pay that (25 k )from a dealer but they still have a years warranty on them so why give the dealer extra ?

Fine car and lots of stares driving down the street .But I am not getting into arguments with the usual cheesewipes who say this OR THAT is better than WR1 .

Test drive the dealers and come back to me.!
Old 09 May 2006, 09:23 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Check out Litchfield imports. Iain has got some great cars in for that sort of money (way better than a WR1)
I think there might even be a type 25 somewhere near your budget.
i'm with martin on this
Old 09 May 2006, 09:25 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

had a look at litchfields site,they have a few cars i agree but they are much higher milages.looking to buy as new a poss,the wr1 is 18 months old so still has 18months warrenty
arghh the more i look the more i get confused.
do you think this car is over priced.look at it at www.quenbys.com
Old 09 May 2006, 09:27 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
Personal choice. In my opinion, the WR1 is a beautiful car - that colour alone is briliant. It is also that bit more exclusive.

As I understand it, the additional serving comprises of more regular oil and filter changes every 3k miles (which most enthusiasts will do anyway.)

Of course, it would be worth the extra cost as it will keep the FSSH.

Service is every six months as normal ,unless you wish to do every three thou .
Old 09 May 2006, 09:32 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Service is every six months as normal ,unless you wish to do every three thou .
Woops, I stand corrected!!!

Try and avoid dealers - they will rip you off with high mileage crap
Old 09 May 2006, 09:41 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

You got that right !!!
Old 09 May 2006, 10:13 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

niether car is high milage crap.the sti had 1700 miles on it when i drove it and thw WR1 ha 7500 miles.both are/were absoluteley mint.25k is pushing the budget as nice as it is
Old 09 May 2006, 10:43 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have just got myself a WR1 bought it private so save a few grand on dealer prices. Went straight to my local dealer who I know quite well and they checked the car out. They looked at the boost pipes as they said there was a recall on the WR1 as the boost pipes were made from wrong material and they change them free of charge, mine was ok so think they had already been done. The dealer logged me on the computer and its just as if I bought the car from them.
The main differances that I can see are the colour, and the prodrive suspension other touches like the wheels, gear ****, tax disc and small things like this just add a certain touch.
I would recommend you look at njkmrs motor as thats about the price I paid for mine also 11500 on the clock. I was lucky as I managed to get a PX with the WR1 owner for my imported scoob otherwise I think I would be stuck with the import forever. Good luck in finding a scoob of your choice be it a WR1 or STI PPP.
Old 09 May 2006, 10:45 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

had a look at litchfields site,they have a few cars i agree but they are much higher milages.looking to buy as new a poss,the wr1 is 18 months old so still has 18months warrenty
nice car................. but as others have said have a look at private sellers cars, they will still have warranty and alot less cash.
Old 09 May 2006, 10:59 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

High mileage??

Most of his cars have done very few miles... I reckon you could get a year old Spec C for £25k with very low miles on it..give Iain a call he wont BS you.

And to be honest a Spec C is in a different league to a WR1
Old 10 May 2006, 12:08 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob
I have just got myself a WR1 bought it private so save a few grand on dealer prices. Went straight to my local dealer who I know quite well and they checked the car out. They looked at the boost pipes as they said there was a recall on the WR1 as the boost pipes were made from wrong material and they change them free of charge, mine was ok so think they had already been done. The dealer logged me on the computer and its just as if I bought the car from them.
The main differances that I can see are the colour, and the prodrive suspension other touches like the wheels, gear ****, tax disc and small things like this just add a certain touch.
I would recommend you look at njkmrs motor as thats about the price I paid for mine also 11500 on the clock. I was lucky as I managed to get a PX with the WR1 owner for my imported scoob otherwise I think I would be stuck with the import forever. Good luck in finding a scoob of your choice be it a WR1 or STI PPP.
Thanks Bob.Hope you are enjoying your motor
Old 10 May 2006, 12:56 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Service is every six months as normal ,unless you wish to do every three
thou

Close but actually service on a WR1 is not every 6 months, not every 3,000 miles nor is it as usual.

STi is a service every 10,000 miles or 12 months if it comes up first.

The WR1 is the same for the major services, 10,000 miles or 12 months, but with an additional oil change only service (about 100 quid from a dealer) every 5,000 miles. Logic would say this would be after 6 months if that comes up before the 5,000 miles but the service book doesn't say that.

So assuming you do 10,000 miles a year it's going to cost you another £100 a year in servicing for a WR1 over an STi. A bargain for the extra 15bhp, which is actually very noticeable, having owned both. But as said some people choose to do an intermediate oil change anyway in which case no extra cost.
Old 10 May 2006, 01:23 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
> Service is every six months as normal ,unless you wish to do every three
thou

Close but actually service on a WR1 is not every 6 months, not every 3,000 miles nor is it as usual.

STi is a service every 10,000 miles or 12 months if it comes up first.

The WR1 is the same for the major services, 10,000 miles or 12 months, but with an additional oil change only service (about 100 quid from a dealer) every 5,000 miles. Logic would say this would be after 6 months if that comes up before the 5,000 miles but the service book doesn't say that.

So assuming you do 10,000 miles a year it's going to cost you another £100 a year in servicing for a WR1 over an STi. A bargain for the extra 15bhp, which is actually very noticeable, having owned both. But as said some people choose to do an intermediate oil change anyway in which case no extra cost.
I stand corrected.My car has done 11600 miles, so has needed a service every 6 months over the last two years .But yes, if you do BIG miles then it will require these extra oil changes in between.
Old 10 May 2006, 02:42 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Not just big miles, small miles are as bad. Mine did 17k miles in 6 months then 5k in the next 18 months and then another 5k in a month. I had no idea what services I needed. Nightmare.

Miles are easy but the equivalent 12 or 6 month ones confused me totally.

Think I'll just keep doing the miles then no worries.
Old 10 May 2006, 07:41 AM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Service every 5000 or 6 months. Whichever arrives first. Big service is 30K. Otherwise £100 every 6 months, £2-300 every 12.

Cars were "recalled" for the hose change. Letter sent out centrally from Subaru (not from Dealer). Done FOC.

Plenty of faster cars around. Some with warranties. Type 25 et al, Spec C will all show a clean pair of heels to "The One" when driven by people who know how to drive

WR1 defo has exclusivety. Dealers treat you as you would expect driving their most powerful flagship car. Colour and other visual touches attracts second glances lots more, so if that's you bag...

Has DCCD (Centre diff control), lowered, basically a PPP with a cherry on top in terms of power. You would find it near identical to an STI PPP except if you floored it from standstill (not recommended for the sake of clutch, tyres etc) and it pulls stronger in the mid-range. Basically, at 80+MPH its quicker and you can see it. 18" wheels, unique colour, dark coloured seats (not that blue "suede").

Warranty can be extended in the 33rd month (at my dealer anyway - checked yesterday) for about £700 for two years.

Saw a private one that was mint go for £19K in Cheshire the other week...

If you intend to mod go elsewhere as you (imho) destroy the car but as an all round compromise of performance, reliability, exclusiveness you won't go far wrong.

As said, its not the fastest, nor the best handling when compared to other hardcore cars like the type 25, but its only a notch down from them and a few notches above everything else.

btw: I did look at selling mine recently and the prices had tumbled in the last few months so I decided to keep it. Now may be a good time to buy.

Oh and it sounds awesome!

hth

Steel
Old 10 May 2006, 10:30 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now the questions,

help me out peeps please
Hi
I've had a WR1 from new. The servicing is as per the STi, but with an additional "power service" every 5k miles. I bought the car instead of an STi as it had as standard, the regular extras I would generally buy (PPP, wheels, suspension). Adding the extra costs for these to the STI price came out nearly at the WR1 original RRP. The car is great to drive everyday & is better than an STi with PPP because of the Prodrive suspension & 18" wheels. Put a WR1 side by side with an STI with PPP + suspension + wheels & there's not really much in it. Anyone who has ever seen the car always loves the colour & I get positive comments from other car enthusiasts too. I believe that the WR1 will hold its value slightly better than the STi if only because the usual extras are standard with this car. There are no known problems with the car, although mine did not have the suspension set up by the dealer as it should have been & I had to have mine done by Powerstation.

You mentioned that the WR1 has some more extras, what are these?
Old 10 May 2006, 06:25 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Ah **** it .Think I will keep it .
It is a truly enjoyable car that still puts a smile on my face everytime i boot it .
Unless someone waves that money in front of me ,then I may be tempted
Old 10 May 2006, 07:19 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

There is one on Auto trader for £18995, don't think the miles are to high either.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...00618234174274
Ther you go.

Mac
Old 10 May 2006, 07:29 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Is the WR1 colour exclusive? As I have seen what I think is a WRX in Ice Blue with WRX Ironing board type lowered spoiler, 17" silver wheels in Ice Blue around to where I live. With just a WRX badge and no WR1 side stickers.
Old 10 May 2006, 07:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The colour is available on imports across the range.
Old 10 May 2006, 07:47 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Is the WR1 colour exclusive? As I have seen what I think is a WRX in Ice Blue with WRX Ironing board type lowered spoiler, 17" silver wheels in Ice Blue around to where I live. With just a WRX badge and no WR1 side stickers.
I think there are other Subarus in the same colour ,they just dont have the same spec as the WR1.
500 WR1,s only in the UK .
Old 10 May 2006, 08:27 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

the extra's are a set a 4 gauges(i presume boost,oil temp,etc)trouble is 3 are mounted in a binnicle on the centre of the dash and the other is in the right hand corner(look's a bit gash).pro-drive mudflaps and a 6 disc changer i think.
i do like it and am willing to pay a bit more than 23k for it but not 25k.it only has 7500 miles on it which is a big plus point for me and is only a mile from my house.

bad news is i found out today my house sale won't go through now till the 26th of may so it's gonna be a case of fingers crossed they don't sell it till then i think
Old 10 May 2006, 08:49 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i'm with martin on this
Me too... Iain's got my old car right now which might be right up your street. With 16k on the clock it's only just run in, and you're getting all the JDM toys (twin scroll turbo, DCCD-A etc) plus the full T25 handling pack, and well within your budget.

It's just been serviced and comes with a set of barely used wheels & tyres too. It'd be a shame not to at least take a look
Old 10 May 2006, 09:09 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Me too... Iain's got my old car right now which might be right up your street. With 16k on the clock it's only just run in, and you're getting all the JDM toys (twin scroll turbo, DCCD-A etc) plus the full T25 handling pack, and well within your budget.

It's just been serviced and comes with a set of barely used wheels & tyres too. It'd be a shame not to at least take a look
i look at litchfiels site quite abit but can never find these sort of cars.i look in the stock list.is this the right place to look or am i being thick
Old 11 May 2006, 07:46 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

It's there, in the stock list: http://www.litimports.co.uk/stocklist.asp?inc=82

Quick Reply: WR1 questions