Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Rally or not to rally...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2001, 02:57 AM
kotaro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, I know I'm kind of old to start now (I should have started before, but I didn't, so there's nothing I can do about it). The thing is the following:

I'm 16 right now and I think I'll try to get my rallying licence when I'm 18 (sept 2003) (18 is the minimum age requirement in chile to drive on public roads, so I guess it's the minimum for rallying. There's no "junior" or something like that category.).

My aim right now (it's probable that I'll want to do something completely different with my future as time goes on, but anyway) is to get into the WRC, I have some sort of a plan, and I'd like to hear what some of you think about it, and if you have any suggestions to add to my plan.

so here's what I'd like to do:

I live in chile, so I'll get first of all into the chilean rally campionship.
there's a good chilean rally site ( www.rallychileno.com ) , only in spanish. If you want to see pictures go to "fotos".

I'm thinking to get into the N1 N2 or N3 category in my (hopefully) first year, 2003-2004 (and go to argentina to the WRC event there in 2004).

Then I'd like to go up to the N4 (go, again to argentina to the WRC event there).

Then the argentinian rally championship.

Then the southamerican rally championship, or directly to the WRC in a N (N4 hopefully) group car.

then work my way up...onto the WRC

If I think about it with my mind, I know it is stupid and/or risky and/or unrealistic to go into somehting like that without experience, money, (I don't even know if I'm talented or not) etc.

But if I think about it with my soul/heart/guts, I have only one life, and I don't want to be 40 working in architecture asking myself "what if I tried...". I'd rather say to myself "well, at least I tried.".

so, what do you think?

At the moment I'm thinking about listening to my guts rather than to my mind. The mind is too reasonable sometimes...

Comments are greatly appreciated
Old 27 October 2001, 07:45 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kotaro, I won't give you any constructive/helpful tip/ comments, but I will say that if you don't go for it, you will regret it.

Life is for living, do everything you want to do and I wish you the bestest of luck in rallying, all I ask is that you keep us informed of your progress when you do get started.

Michelle
Little Miss WRX
Old 27 October 2001, 12:29 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I fully agree with Michelle.

I have left my competition debut until well past 40...although it`s not as exciting as rallying it`s superb. I`m even contemplating selling the Subaru to fund a better competition car...there`s absolutely no comparison to road use / track days than putting yourself against the clock / others - safely !

Good luck
Old 27 October 2001, 03:19 PM
kotaro
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks a lot for the replies, and I think I will just go for it.

I'll keep you informed when I start rallying.
(hopefullly the end of 2003)

Old 28 October 2001, 02:58 AM
kotaro
Scooby Regular

No one else wants to comment/advice?
Old 28 October 2001, 05:34 AM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Cool

Go for it!!

I think I may have left it a bit late as I'm a whole year older than you

Amanda
Old 29 October 2001, 09:57 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Have you done karting competitively? I know it is different to rallying, but you will learn a lot about driving and competing under pressure, plus it is cheaper.
Old 29 October 2001, 10:28 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

Matt is 100% right.

I karted competitively till the age of 17, when I was injured in a horrific accident. That, and lack of real funds put a stop to any real career, but I'm only 22, and wish I'd have pursued it.

I used to race against Jenson Button at Rye House Race Circuit in England when I was 14 - look where he is now!