Sponsored by:

Driving impressions of new Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2000, 02:26 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I see from Top Gear that 'driving impressions' of the new Scoob are embargoed until Sunday.

What interested me more is that the first person to be able to publish these views in the UK and the first published UK drive is our own V B-H!

Any coincidence, or further proof that Subaru/IM/Prodrive read this board and understand the love and lust that is ever running here for our Vicki

R

PS I thought it looked rather good on TG last night, love the colour - I want to get one - her indoors wants to get a Boxster (way too dull)
Old 20 October 2000, 02:33 PM
NickP
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rannoch:
PS I thought it looked rather good on TG last night, love the colour - I want to get one[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, are you talking about the car or VBH here?

Nick

Old 20 October 2000, 02:43 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

That's for me to know and her indoors not to find out

R
Old 20 October 2000, 02:45 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Porsche Boxter dull?! Only one of the sweetest handling rwd cars on the PLANET!
Old 20 October 2000, 03:20 PM
JohnS

I've already heard a review of the new car (20 min phone conversation), from an SIDC member who was lucky enough to drive it yesterday

This being a public forum though, I'm not allowed to say anythying about it!
Old 20 October 2000, 03:26 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

I'll volunteer to review VBH.....

Doh? Did I really say that? I'll get me coat....

[This message has been edited by Airmiles (edited 20 October 2000).]
Old 20 October 2000, 03:53 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mike,

how's things - long time no speak - need to get the Scoob up to Santa Pod now that I have the ECU sorted.

My comment about the Boxster being dull was not about the car not being a great car, 'ultimately'. I suspect that on open sweeping moorland A roads, or on track, it would be superb.

Driving it around the lanes tho (this was a 2.7) it seemed just like a posh Golf (sorry Porsche). There were glimpses of brilliant steering, brakes and handling, but they were brief and distant.

By comparison the STi always feels alive and urgent, even at slow speeds and to put it in real context, I also drove an Exige yesterday - a true drive by thought car. Unbelievable steering response and chassis - it must be one of the greatest road set-ups ever.

Totally impractical tho' - very noisy.

So, IMHO, the Boxster is dull unless really extended - then it shows glimpses of greatness - BUT it is simply NOT a car to create a visceral response at less than insane speeds (just like the last M3 and BMW 325i Coupe which I used to have).

R

PS With a post like that I could write for Autocar

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 20 October 2000).]
Old 20 October 2000, 07:49 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

Boxster is unbeatable for roof down motoring in dry weather. It doesn't have to be sunny to enjoy it as the heater is great. You just get strange looks from other people when it is freezing cold.

It's also fine in the wet as a normal car, but no fun if you want to go quickly. T-junctions in particular are very weak. You have to creep away before applying any power. The wet is the only time that I find myself thinking about the value of the thing....

Some of the car mags say that the wet handling is great too - by which they mean that you can balance it on the throttle..... relevance to road driving: nil.

High point of the Boxster has to be the noise it makes between 6000 and 7000 revs. Blood curdling. Even better than a scoobysport exhaust noise when driving through a tunnel.

Tim
98 Green 4dr turbo
00 Boxster 2.7
Old 20 October 2000, 10:15 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

JohnS

Yep.... and I've spoken to the same guy and can't say that I was too impressed with some of the comments. For a full report see EVO next month I believe. Though not sure that it would stop me ordering one (it's that or an S3 within the next couple of months for me). Mind you... Autocar full road test next week. Though I do agree with the comment about any possible face lift within a short period of time hitting the first cars sold very hard! We shall see....