Sponsored by:

IS MY S/S BACK BOX LEGAL? - JUST HAD NEIGHBOUR COMPLAINING

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2001, 08:34 PM
McCrash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Have just had the worst day possible and to top it all off I park the car at the side of our semi-detached and the neighbour (both husband and wife are police officers - he being a traffic cop)comes round to tell me that when I leave my engine running (to let the turbo cool as instructed by Subaru) it really gets on their nerves.

Never had any sort of problem before but they are obv. a bit nutty in that this 1 minute of mild noise annoys them. I didn't mention the racket they make coming home from shifts at 4 in the morning or other little annoyances because I'm normal.

This aside, is there anything they can do re. the legality of the S/S Back box or should I tell them to shove it in the nicest possible way? Opinions please.

Cheers.
Old 25 October 2001, 09:22 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

See if you can get hold of a TVR for a week and let that Idle every evening. Then go back to your scoob .... I think they will get the point
Old 25 October 2001, 09:26 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Wink

Get hold of a dB meter to check the idle 'noise'.
I'm sure someone here knows what the average SS back box should produce.....

What about parking with the exhaust pointing away from their house ?
Perhaps its the green eyed monster they have living with them

Pete
Old 25 October 2001, 09:29 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

The worst that can happen is that they will phone the local council who will tell them to keep a diary of the alledged noise disturbances and then forward it to them.Then maybe you might get a visit from the environmental dept and be told to keep it down.If it was me I would mention their little noises and tell them to get a life.....

Mog
Old 25 October 2001, 09:42 PM
supercarkiller
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Ever thought of motech ecu with anti lag, and full grp A exhaust system , now thats illegall.
Arent they just jealous to**ers?
I wouldnt give an ounce of worry
Old 25 October 2001, 10:15 PM
ChrisB

Reversing mog's suggestion - start keeping a diary of their noisy spells just in case they get arsey.
Old 25 October 2001, 10:22 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Smile

What i do to stop this problem is to drive sedately off boost for about 5 mins away from home,this lets the car wind down naturally and enables me to switch off with no adverse effects.

A scooby with s/s exhuast sounds amazing idling, never mind at full chat.(in fact a record of this could be a potential christmas no.1)mmmmmm.....!

Old 25 October 2001, 10:37 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Got a feeling the noise level well exceeds the EU regulations for vehicle noise emmisions. I know how annoying the drone of an idling Scoob, or any such car can be. My son Chris would allow his Cossie to idle for a good 2 minutes and when you are indoors it really can be annoying. Dont run away with the idea that I`m a miserable old b*****d, I have a similarly equiped Scoob and my last bit of any journey involves slow running which is perfectly fine for bringing the turbo temp to a "switch off" level. So unless you live on top of the motorway there is little extra benefit in idling any longer than it takes to wind the windows up, turn off the lights and kiss it goodnight. Keep the neighbours sweet, you never can tell when you might need their co-operation!
If you live near Havering pop round - I`ve got a dB meter!
JohnD
Old 25 October 2001, 10:46 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

If im arriving home i'll sit round the corner at the childrens playground and let it cool down fully before chugging slowly around the corner into my drive.
Old 25 October 2001, 11:17 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Personally Much prefer the driving gently off boost for the last few miles technique. I reckon its got to be a better way to let the temps gently come down whilw theres still a few revs to keep the oil pumping around strongly and some air flow through the radiator. I have to say on the few occasions the wife drives mine (SS Backbox) it does sound surprisingly loud.

Not everybody appreciates the gorgeous flat four burble
Old 25 October 2001, 11:26 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey McCrash,

tell them to go and **** themselves. And I remember the Nova post when you used to have *****! Coppers are all just bullies. My neighbours don't complain... but they are all deaf now!

MB
Old 25 October 2001, 11:28 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Where do you live ?

I think a group meet outside your house is in order..........I'll get my coat
Old 25 October 2001, 11:34 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

How loud are buses? Lorries? just a thought.
A back box on its own isnt that loud. IMHO.
Old 26 October 2001, 12:02 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Bloody coppers, tell them to get fooked
Old 26 October 2001, 12:30 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

I live at the **** end of a little 30mph village, so the first and last coupla mins odd are fairly sedate anyway. It's just that last quick 90degree right then left before the long straight into the village (60) that sometimes catch me unawares, you can't help giving it boost sometimes
Old 26 October 2001, 01:22 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

If you drive for 3 or 4 mins without using the turbo, this will let the engine cool down enough. Try this, and switch off say 15s after you stop the car. Then complain like a b*stard every time they make the slightest noise after 11pm
Old 26 October 2001, 08:24 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

You have absolutely no upside in aggravating them have you? Having bad relationship with the neighbors can be hell, if they are cops, doubly so. As suggested above just make sure your last 5 minutes of the journey are off-boost, pull up and switch off, job done
They may even start acting like normal people in appreciation of your courtesy, nice to have freinds in the police
Chuck
Old 26 October 2001, 08:26 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'll see if my brother can get hold of a works spec Puma 1600 for the weekend and lend it you that will give them an idea of how lucky they are to have a neighbour like yourself living near them with such a nice quite car. (LOL)

P.S: Ask them to move near Adge when he gets the 22B out and has to move the MY00 with the SS back box and then fires the 22B up with the even length manifolds and 4" pipe on it. (LOL)

Daz.

Michell could you arrange a meet at McCrashes house one weekend I'm sure we would get a turn out !!!!!
Old 26 October 2001, 08:46 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

LOL at vmax, ted et al.

Some of you may remember Dick Grimes, an instructor at Essex Police Driving School. Dick teaches the traffic cops how to drive.

When we first started making these, Dick did some noise tests for me and the Scoobysport back box is 100% legal. Dick has one on his Impreza.

I also live next door to a traffic cop and he loves the sound. I've let him drive the car a couple of times too and he thinks its the best sounding car on the road.

That said, his 1300cc bike must be twice as loud as my full Scoobysport system and the bike isn't a patch on a mate's TVR Grif'.

Good advice about cooling down before you get home, but I reckon your copper mate isn't getting any
Old 26 October 2001, 09:10 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

McCrash - Phone enviromental health yourself. Get them to check the noise level. It should be OK. I had a Ducati with Termi's once that my wife could hear from approx 1 mile from the house. This was tested by enviromental health and found to be well under the limit. Once you are sure you are OK tell your neighbour to ferk off. If it is over the limit, just cool down on the way home
Old 26 October 2001, 09:21 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Pete

I know/have heard that Griff - must be the red one!?
Old 26 October 2001, 09:21 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

LOL@the official ScoobySport response!

McCrash, print this off and put it through their letterbox with a banana flavoured condom!
Old 26 October 2001, 09:28 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tell them to poke it, sounds like their taking their jobs home!

David
Old 26 October 2001, 09:32 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Question

What are the noise restriction in the UK??
I think overhere in Switzerland it is 80 or 85 db.
Cheers,
Danny

BTW: I have to park mine (SS DP+BB) in another housing complex-garage, about 400 meters away from my house, No complains so far!!
Old 26 October 2001, 09:46 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Crash you have two options. Firstly you could behave like an obnoxious t055pot (as suggested by a few people) and go ahead making as much noise as possible, but be aware that coppers don't make good enemies! Might be satisfying but it could backfire in the long run.

Or you could use your head, try to see it from their point of view and maybe try to wind the car down over the last mile or so/round the corner etc. I'm as much a petrolhead as anyone (two bikes and a scoob) but when I'm sitting there with my beer, watching quality evening TV (!) I'm less than appreciative of the goon with twin DTM's on his golf who lives a stones throw away.

Personally, I'd try to be a little flexible and see if you can't get the copper on-side (friends in the force can come in quite useful at times ) At the end of the day he may still be ar5ey about it, at which point you know you've done everything possible and can then invite Adge round in his 22b.

Whip
Old 26 October 2001, 10:01 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Angry

If a neighbour said this to me I would have to leave the car idling at about 5000rpm
Old 26 October 2001, 10:12 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

McCrash,

I think that unfortunately it doesn't matter whether its legal or not, as far as the outcome is concerned.

I'm not for one minute saying they will, but your neighbours are in a position to make life very difficult if they so chose to do so, and there will be little you can do about it.

I'd have to say let it cool down before hand and shut of quickly at the house, rather than stuff a piece of paper in their faces that says "f*ck off" in a few more words.

It sucks, I know, and its a shame there are different sets of rules for some, but its not worth the grief

Once you've adopted a new approach, ask them if thats better. You'll probably get a much better response. Bear in mind if they are working shifts, your car idling may be waking them up.

D

Old 26 October 2001, 10:16 AM
Johnny Alpha
Scooby Regular

Angry

Rev the ***** off the car everytime you pull up.. if they question it just ask them why they're not so keen to do anything if your car was vandalised/etc...

Arrrggggghhhhhhhhh this makes me so maaaaaaaad! Why are people so pathetic over inconsequential matters...
Old 26 October 2001, 10:25 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

I will sit outside their house and let my car idle, the BPM exhaust I have got is very loud.....

It will rattle their ornimental plate off of the walls....

poofters

P
Old 26 October 2001, 10:27 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Forgot to Mention my neighbours always know when I coming home. Their two dogs can hear me a good half mile away coming into the village. They say they they always rush to the windows to wait for me to crawl through the village and park up.

Quick Reply: IS MY S/S BACK BOX LEGAL? - JUST HAD NEIGHBOUR COMPLAINING