Rear-ended!

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2006, 09:04 PM
digitaria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear-ended!

Watched my MY04 WRX wagon being rear-ended in Welwyn GC today

My wife was picking me up at the station and as she stopped outside, a taxi driver pulled out from the rank, looking behind him - and BANG. I was 30 feet away. No injuries, thankfully, but the car will need a new back bumper at least. The taxi driver, twit that he is, was decent enough - we got all his details and those of a witness - and the taxi driver accepts responsibility. Wants to sort it out without insurance companies, unless the damage turns out to be worse than expected.

So I need to get an estimate. Is it reasonable to take care of this without insurance companies? Any recommended body shops in Herts. or around? Do any of the Scoob dealers around here have an on-site body shop?

TIA
Old 26 April 2006, 09:12 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Word of advice from someone sho has been there done that.

Just go through the insurance, you will have no end of hassle trust me.

There is NO dispute as to who is to blame so you probably will not even have to pay excess
Old 26 April 2006, 09:12 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Also to add, hire car will be delivered to your door etc.
Old 26 April 2006, 09:14 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that - glad to hear your wife is alright though.

Taxi driver - get straight on the blower to your insurance company - Would nt trust a a taxi driver with a barge pole - unless he was driving a scooby!!!

(Even then it would probably be a classic - bring out the firesuit!!!)

Hope you get it sorted.

(I like classics - only kidding on!!!)
Old 26 April 2006, 10:43 PM
RedRexWRX
Scooby Regular

TBH its upto you. I once had to swerve onto the wrong side of the road to avoid shunting someone up the jacksy but then i had to swerve left to avoid the oncoming vehicle. In the end i`d put a dent in the driver door of the car that had been in front. I told the chap i`d prefer to do it without insurance because my excess is £400 it wasnt worth me losing out on my clean license. The chap was happy for me to do this.. Bearing in mind i gave him all my details so we could arrange to get the problem sorted. He took it to his choice of a local garage and i paid the bill £125... Not bad if you ask me.. So this talk of not trusting a taxi driver with a barge pole talk is nonsence because he could just give you fake details anyway, regarding his insurance. Hes probably only trying to look after his license, after all we know what its like on the roads these days with cameras everywhere..

What happened to trusting someone..... Trust your instints you were there..
Old 27 April 2006, 12:58 AM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

I would go through the insurance with out doubt or guilt.If you heard it from 40 ft away or so, damage will be more than a bumper as these tend to spring in creasing panels and then the bumper reforms so damage tends to look minimal at first.
Old 27 April 2006, 01:06 AM
yodajedimaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedRexWRX
TBH its upto you. I once had to swerve onto the wrong side of the road to avoid shunting someone up the jacksy but then i had to swerve left to avoid the oncoming vehicle. In the end i`d put a dent in the driver door of the car that had been in front. I told the chap i`d prefer to do it without insurance because my excess is £400 it wasnt worth me losing out on my clean license. The chap was happy for me to do this.. Bearing in mind i gave him all my details so we could arrange to get the problem sorted. He took it to his choice of a local garage and i paid the bill £125... Not bad if you ask me.. So this talk of not trusting a taxi driver with a barge pole talk is nonsence because he could just give you fake details anyway, regarding his insurance. Hes probably only trying to look after his license, after all we know what its like on the roads these days with cameras everywhere..

What happened to trusting someone..... Trust your instints you were there..
Totally agree. The guys only trying to make sure that he keeps his already high insurance down. Give him the benefit of the doubt and get a couple of quotes, give him a ring and see which quote he wants to take. Either get cash off him for the repair or give the garage his details for payment.

Robert.
Old 27 April 2006, 07:44 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If tyhe guy is so concerned about his insurance, go through the insurance as per usual, he can then re-imburse the insurance company. Everyone happy and no claims kept in tact