Sponsored by:

MY06 Advice - ECU problem

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2006, 10:34 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 Advice - ECU problem

You may have seen my other thread, but to sum up a relay problem caused the ABS motor to run while the ignition was turned off which flattened the battery. In turn something (probably an attempted jumpstart) has fried the ECU, Clocks and Immobiliser Control Unit.

This is on a new MY06 STI that I am yet to collect.

I am really after any technical advice on whether to accept this car or not. I have read one of Mike Woods posts saying that the 2.5 ECU is new (drive by wire throttle etc) and I am concerned that it is a very complex system and that I could be letting myself in for a list of endless and hard to trace problems.

Or would they just replace the ECU and everything will be fine?
Old 25 April 2006, 10:46 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Dont except it, i had a alternator/battery failure (boiled because of alternator) and the ecu etc were replaced, but for the next year different things kept failing (fuel sender, rev counter, rear demister etc) - this was not a scooby it was a relitavly simple renault.

Im going to take a guess at what they may or maynot have done (this is what 'old' mechanics may have done in the 60's / 70's etc)

Start the car on a 'new' battery, then try to change the battery 'live' to the orgigonal to charge it, unfortunatly this will 'definatly' bugger anything electronic, the current is completly unregulated and unsmoothed, of cause the battery may have been faulty (boiled like mine) and done the same thing

reject it, or knock another 2k off it.

Simon

Last edited by BlueSimon; 25 April 2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 25 April 2006, 01:11 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

sorry to hear this is becoming a nightmare

in an ideal world you would be better off if you got a different car, the ABS pump should not have a live feed without the ignition and a failed relay causing it to run without fluid pressure will possibly have damaged the ABS modulator and pump anyway, also it doesnt seem a very clever fail safe, so i would question what caused the initial relay failure first, with regards to the other failed parts, thats what fuses are for, if it has frazzled electrics it has taken an unusual path to get there, so i would expect other failures too, plus they will have to remove all manner of trim and other parts to replace bits, this is likely to cause rattles and creaks plus inevitable damage too,

if possible can you walk away, as you will always have it in your mind is this car going to break, you will never trust it now

sorry

Ray