Sponsored by:

Giving 'advice'

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2006, 01:51 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Giving 'advice'

Why do some people insist on replying to technical questions with half baked, inaccurate guess work? If you're lucky the replies begin with something like: 'i'm not really sure, but' 'don't quote me on this' 'I've heard' or 'I reckon' - this alerts you to the posters lack of confidence at least, but so often people make statements which one would imagine were factual. Only when challenged does the imposteur reveal himself with the line 'I was only trying to help'. Well, charlatan, it doesn't help - it muddies the waters and spreads misinformation to other like minded quacks. Next time, resist the urge to click post reply, do not thump your moronic assistance into the keyboard, simply wait for someone who actually knows the answer to post it up.

Rant over.
Old 21 April 2006, 01:54 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Bit harsh. Thankfully, most human beings' reaction to a cry for help is to offer what assistance they can. At least it keeps the thread at the top where someone who actually can give a definitive answer might see it.

Do you have a particular instance in mind that has been downright misleading or dangerous?
Old 21 April 2006, 01:58 PM
The Knives are out
Scooby Regular

Location: They may be out, but work "mates" keep thrusting them back in :o(

Im not sure but aren't you just grumpy
Old 21 April 2006, 01:59 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Why do some people insist on replying to technical questions with half baked, inaccurate guess work? If you're lucky the replies begin with something like: 'i'm not really sure, but' 'don't quote me on this' 'I've heard' or 'I reckon' - this alerts you to the posters lack of confidence at least, but so often people make statements which one would imagine were factual. Only when challenged does the imposteur reveal himself with the line 'I was only trying to help'. Well, charlatan, it doesn't help - it muddies the waters and spreads misinformation to other like minded quacks. Next time, resist the urge to click post reply, do not thump your moronic assistance into the keyboard, simply wait for someone who actually knows the answer to post it up.

Rant over.
Anyone who takes anything on this forum seriously wants their bumps feeling. Don't expect 100% accurate answers from the vast majority on here with the exception of Mike Wood who knows his onions. Post, read the responses and take a formative decision. Don't blame others when you do something wrong based upon misinterpretation of facts
Old 21 April 2006, 02:02 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Rant over.
Hear Hear!

Also, a quick piece of advice to women on this forum, if a bloke come's knocking at your door and asks to see you t1ts, *don't* show them to him. It's a known scam.

Aythankyow.
Old 21 April 2006, 02:05 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Rant over.
Having a bad day??
Old 21 April 2006, 02:05 PM
New_scooby_04

At the end of the day I have no problem with people giving whatever advice they like, providing they don't misrepresent their knowledge or present opinion as fact.

If someone dispenses advice, but starts of with the qualification "I'm not an expert", or "I could be wrong" and you take their word at face value without consulting someone who is an expert, that's your fault. They've given you the information you need to reach a decision about the weight of their contribution and have been open and honest. That's all you can ask for. There are plenty of people on here who are anything but experts, but who have first hand experience of products/services etc that may be of great benefit.

If only experts were allowed to post on here about technical issues, SN would be VERY quiet!!

Ns04

Trending Topics

Old 21 April 2006, 02:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Knives are out
Im not sure but aren't you just grumpy
Not had a ciggy yet today .

I've not actually been a victim, but it still winds me up (clearly). It's what mothers in playgrounds do (although not always Subaru related).

Off for a ciggy and then maybe I'll realise that people who are 'just trying to help' are OK really
Old 21 April 2006, 02:20 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po

Do you have a particular instance in mind that has been downright misleading or dangerous?
"You won't get addicted"

Paul Carter 1990
Old 21 April 2006, 02:23 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Old 21 April 2006, 02:31 PM
Spankathon
Scooby Regular

Rant over.
I know one thing for a fact.... you need to rub one out and chill out !!
Old 21 April 2006, 03:43 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i think lol

i know its quite amusing and more often than not, the true answer is generaly weedeled out in the end. Its also a lesson to others to read to see what not to do, and hopefuly, why not to do it.

Its an education.

But, if your that desperate to know, you may as well ring up someone who knows!

john
Old 21 April 2006, 03:47 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

The problem is that there are too many questions in a day and not enough experts with the definitive answer.

People feel they have to chip in when a thread is about to slip off the scope unanswered. In many cases this prolongs the thread long enough for it to be picked up by someone who knows what they are talking about!
Old 21 April 2006, 03:48 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

If you ask me, he ought not to have posted this thread.
Old 21 April 2006, 04:17 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
People feel they have to chip in when a thread is about to slip off the scope unanswered. In many cases this prolongs the thread long enough for it to be picked up by someone who knows what they are talking about!
Dead right !
If we all had the manuals digested to the brain we'd all spout the same info,
what would we all talk or ARGUE about
Old 21 April 2006, 04:55 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some sympathy with JTaylor.
When i first 'found' Snet it was clear there was a lot of half right info.
So, I asked the same question to several and found the common denominator, and took that as the reasonable answer.
You also eventually find the real masters, the AndyF's of this world, and the suppliers who are open and honest, API/Powerstation.

I stop there because these are the people I have personal experience of.

The best 'clue' to watch for is 'IMHO'.....and take what you read as you think is reasonable.

Someone who can demonstrate their knowledge is invaluable above all else.

I am one of the people who express an opinion about several things Impreza, because of what I've learnt and what I have experience of. Some questions have common sense answers too.
Am I an expert? How does ANYBODY evaluate that, other than by making their own mind up.

All IMHO of course.

Graham

Last edited by 911; 21 April 2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 21 April 2006, 07:57 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Rant over.
I think this guy is pissed off because he has replaced like 50 MAF sensors and still has the same problem with his car
Old 21 April 2006, 08:21 PM
stewby2202
Scooby Regular

ive had to post threads regardin problems with the scoob and ive had no reply,s,
Is it because im a northener or am i just not asking the right Q,s.
Even if people gave their half soaked suggestions at least they.re showing that they wanna help.
Have a strong coffee with ciggy
Old 21 April 2006, 08:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Does the original poster have a know-nowt know-it-all gob-****e troll in mind?
Old 21 April 2006, 08:40 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
I have some sympathy with JTaylor.
When i first 'found' Snet it was clear there was a lot of half right info.
So, I asked the same question to several and found the common denominator, and took that as the reasonable answer.
You also eventually find the real masters, the AndyF's of this world, and the suppliers who are open and honest, API/Powerstation.

I stop there because these are the people I have personal experience of.

The best 'clue' to watch for is 'IMHO'.....and take what you read as you think is reasonable.

Someone who can demonstrate their knowledge is invaluable above all else.

I am one of the people who express an opinion about several things Impreza, because of what I've learnt and what I have experience of. Some questions have common sense answers too.
Am I an expert? How does ANYBODY evaluate that, other than by making their own mind up.

All IMHO of course.

Graham
Basically sums up what I said
Old 21 April 2006, 10:17 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Rant over.
have a chat with ps lewis then you will wish you never asked
Old 21 April 2006, 11:14 PM
MrReee
Scooby Regular

That Mr Lewis chap is a top, level headed, imparter of Engineering Knowledge - what he doesn't know about Engineering really isn't worth knowing ....... have you any idea what he does for a living?? You don't get to that level without being the dogs danglies when it comes to knowing a thing or two about how stuff of the higest order works ......... the rest are, sadly, just the also rans - IMHO of course!

MrReee
Old 22 April 2006, 03:04 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are already!
Graham
Old 22 April 2006, 03:10 PM
buckybri
Scooby Regular

well with that ,any one have a guess how to tell if my exhaust on my ma 02 is standard
Old 22 April 2006, 03:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the problem lays both sides...

You cannot properly diagnose and fix a car by proxy. (i.e over the internet). It just simply is impossible to accurately diagnose any problem.

By that I mean one mans description of his cars "funny noise" or "hesitation" could be interpreted totally differently by the reader - now matter how good his/her level of automotive knowledge.

An accurate detail of any problem is critical. Also one symptom may be caused by several problems, or vica versa....A MAF is not the cause of every single engine running problem under the sun!

I give help and advice based on my automotive experience an only to those who clearly define their problems and what car it is (many people just don't help themselve by not giveing the year, or model/spec/mods - and then expect you to be able to help them! ). I am trained and have hands on experienced and I do have dealing in this trade sector, as does half of my family. I try to help on what I do know, if I don't know or the symptoms aren't specific enough, I just shut up. What I do give is advice and suggestion, NOT a strict diagnosis - it's down to the owner to find that him/herself or get somone who knows what they are doing to physically inspect the car and its problems. I, or anyone else who tries to help are not a charity. I understand people come here to ask question to see if they can save a few quid by not going to a garage, but that is why it costs nothing to get advice from here - because what advice you get may not be the answer to your problem - through no fault of the person giving the advice.

Yes, it appears there are poeple here who give advice without sound knowledge of what they are talking about. Or just repeating tripe they "read" or heard from somewhere else. If you don't know, shut up. Even the SIDC faq has some slightly dodgy reasoning behind some of its advice. But that is the internet it cannot be trusted 100% - it is not a workshop "how to fix anything" manual.

You can NEVER be 100% accurate with ANY diagnosis based on what someone types as their symptoms over BBS forum - cars just don't work like that - one fault doesn't mean there is one cure...or the same cure for every car with the same/simliar symptoms. There are just too many components that can cause the same symptoms. And no internet based diagnosis will be able to acurately define that, it can only be used as rough a guide - no matter what expert is replying to your post.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 April 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 22 April 2006, 04:30 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Internet forum in 'less than 100% accurate information' shock horror!

Jeez, who'd of thought that a free forum would provide anything less than people's opinions etc.

Old 22 April 2006, 10:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You wouldn't believe what rubbish I've heard people quote off the net and claim it as gospel.

Right, who's up for dry cranking their engine after an oil change?
Old 23 April 2006, 06:44 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Right, who's up for dry cranking their engine after an oil change?
It really makes me laugh when that one crops back up, usually after someone has just blown their engine!
Old 23 April 2006, 10:39 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrReee
That Mr Lewis chap is a top, level headed, imparter of Engineering Knowledge - what he doesn't know about Engineering really isn't worth knowing ....... have you any idea what he does for a living?? You don't get to that level without being the dogs danglies when it comes to knowing a thing or two about how stuff of the higest order works ......... the rest are, sadly, just the also rans - IMHO of course!

MrReee
Is this an alias?

Stephen Hawking knows pretty much all there is to know about everything but I don't think he would be my first choice in fixing my Scoob.

Being a highly specialised engineer in one area does not necessarily impart expertise in another.

I know a very highly qualified electrical engineer who uses his expertise to 'prove' that it is impossible for an amplifier of the same power to sound different to another - which is clearly bollocks - all IMHO of course

PS I agree with JT even as I know I have been as guilty as any in the past
Old 23 April 2006, 11:44 AM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Is this an alias?
Of course it is