Sponsored by:

Will you always buy a Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2000, 02:26 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering about this.

As everyone gets older and family or financial commitments impinge would everyone keep getting a Subaru after owning Impreza Turbos. Would you move on to something more sensible like a Forester turbo or the Legacy 3 litre?

Or would you switch to a totally different marque altogether?
Old 18 October 2000, 02:31 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

BMW next (flame suit on)...... a few years of Scooby ownership left in me yet...

Jase
Old 18 October 2000, 02:35 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Porsche 911 Turbo, of course!!!
Old 18 October 2000, 02:36 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Cool

If I stay with 4wd and abroad, Nissan Skyline R34 with 500bhp.
Its looking more and more like an M3 for me though. Can't "drive" cars in the uk anymore.
Old 18 October 2000, 02:37 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I've got 2 imprezas at the moment and I was thinking the exactly same thing yesterday - I reckon I may well get a Legacy twin turbo (hopefully Subaru UK will start importing them) for the family car next year. But may move onto something else for 2nd car - just depends how good the future scoobies are.
Old 18 October 2000, 02:40 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I love my Impreza, but I'm not 'locked in' to Subaru ownership.

I bought the Scoob in April this year, so it'll probably be a few years before I look at a new car and then I'd like to try out a variety. (ooer - I sort of feel guilty saying that!)

Rich
Old 18 October 2000, 02:43 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Nah, don't think I would buy another Subaru next (not as my next car anyway). Don't get me wrong, I love the Impreza, but I hate the MY01 Impreza. They look hideous and none of the other Subarus appeals to me in the slightest. Mind you, I'd be hard pressed to think of what I would like next. Another VW maybe, really have no idea, and anyway, it's several years away as my Scooby is only three weeks old.
Old 18 October 2000, 02:46 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Cool

I might just put an M3 badge on one of these ...
Old 18 October 2000, 02:49 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Talking

I dont know whats next.

All depends on what happens in the next few years.
I plan on keeping the WRX for a couple of more years maybe even 4.

By then this stupid country will probably be covered in spy cameras for speeding cars, petrol will be Ł20 a gallon and murder will only carry a warning instead a short jail term.

Personaly I'm leaning towards somewhere else, english speaking, with summers and winters, [I used to like the 4 different seasons when I was a kid] that is car and driver friendly, and crime & criminal strict.

But what ever I do I still have a hankering for a big block V8 in an old 1950's Ford Pop, its me drag racing blood you see.

Old 18 October 2000, 02:51 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Probably the EVO VII for me next year. If not then a second hand R34

Although I must admit a Cavalier with Koni suspension is rather tempting

Rich.
Old 18 October 2000, 03:04 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

NO, my loyalty lies to speed not to a bdage
Old 18 October 2000, 03:15 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Comes down to what is the best car that I can afford at that period of time, at the moment it is the Scooby, so that is what I own.
I agree with Barge on his country selection criteria, if only there was such a place.
Old 18 October 2000, 04:15 PM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

I'd have to think hard about that one. I love the Impreza, it's a great car, it's just that the driving environment we have to use it in, the good old Blighty roads, are no longer suitable on the whole. You either have to watch your mirrors all the time for the plod and look out for the Gatsos or your crawling along in heavy traffic. Ok there are good quiet roads and tracks to goto but most of us have to travel a fair distance to them and as such only get a chance at the odd weekend. The rest of the time the Impreza could really be any average car as your normally just pootling around. I suppose it depends on how much you value the few moments you get to really 'drive' the car anywhere near it's limits without the thought of being locked up for it. Having said that I've always loved the 911 and would consider a used one (possibly LHD) as these have great character and look superb, even when crawling in traffic with the plod behind you and a speed camera watching your every move
Old 18 October 2000, 04:36 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Will consider anything thats 4x4, 3dr, Has a turbo and has a bit of rally pedigree...oh and isn't italian! and with a price tag of no more than 20K.....

Previous car.....Integrale EVO
Current car......Celica GT4
Next Car........V5 Type R

After that who knows!!!
Old 18 October 2000, 04:45 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I would (I think), but I'm going to have to see if I get used to the MY01's boss-eyed looks (and I'll need a test drive?)
Moss=

I'm going to order a new Legacy Outback S6 to replace the wifes MY97 2.5GX - she is totally smitten with Subarus!
Wife=
Old 18 October 2000, 04:57 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Well, I got my first scoob in Jan, added lots to it, and wanted to sell it and get a P1 but I reckon I'd be just throwing money away - lashing out Ł10k to trade-in, with the market the way it is.

Used to want an M3 EVO but I'm so addicted to the Scoob's AWD system, I'm not sure I could go back to RWD or FWD.

Best of both worlds would be a 911 4x4 I suppose, but I'm not sure how good a write up they get.

The Scoob has had a MAJOR impact on the way I'll choose my cars in future.

PS: Anyone want to buy my MY99 JAN UK Turbo with PPP, Full SS Exhaust, ProDrive Handling Pack and 17" Gold Prodrive wheels ? Anyone hazard a guess at how much its worth ?

DV
Old 18 October 2000, 05:18 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm taking the wife to the Jaguar stand at the car show tomorrow just in case the F-Type is there, she can then see where my bonus for the next 3 years is going if they bring it into production

Downside is she will drag me over to the Mercedes stand and drool longingly at the SL/SLK models...she'll probably offer me many favours if I buy one of those in the mean time....decisions decisions

Yex - happy with RB5 WR, but always looking for a car that is a bit different
Old 18 October 2000, 07:03 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

3 litre turbo Impreza next please. No the new car is far better in the flesh with the Provide kits on than any pcitures have shown. Not sure if I'm sold on it as the spoiler is ugly and needs to one off the new WRC car.

I really like the driving experience of Subaru and the dealers are top notch and not giving a stuff about image but liking the individuality of a Subaru , I'd either need so find something amazing or have far more money to consider anything else.

Unless Mazda do make that 626 MPS that it

AllanB
Old 18 October 2000, 07:24 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Daz, depending on mileage and condition, I guess, ooooh, Ł18,000 private, Ł16,500 friendly dealer against new scoob, Ł15,750 not so friendly dealer, Ł15,000 trading against another marque.
Old 18 October 2000, 07:50 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

A new WRX for me, with a headlight conversion, probably somthing like the new WRC car.
I love the character (AWD, boxer engine) and reliabilty.
Old 18 October 2000, 08:01 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Very unlikely,

Can't 'drive' performance cars on the road anymore. I've also found I can't drive the Impreza on the limit (well near to) as the cornering speeds are too high. There's very few roads where you can actually see round the corner to check if you can commit 100%

I could get a far better track car for far less money. Scoobs a compromise.

I'll be getting a diesel summat and something interesting for the track (Poss Westie / Turbo'd MX5 / Cobra replica / Rusty old BMW) something cheap and RWD.

Gary
Old 18 October 2000, 08:44 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sadly no.

Love the car to bits. Absolutely sickened by IM's attitudes.

Tossers.

Still BMW/Audi's gain.

Ho, hum.
Old 18 October 2000, 10:33 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Jye - thanks man, although very depressing. You sure those prices are right ? I only bought the car new in Jan2000! Must've put on Ł4k of extras on her. Sheesh!
Old 19 October 2000, 09:19 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Well I am getting older, and I chose my Scoob because the family was starting to leave the nest and so there was no longer quite the requirement for space provided by previous Volvo Estates and Range Rovers.

Thought about a BMW or Merc but chose the Scoob and have absolutely not regretted it for one second.

When I was young I had no money and an ex wife to pay for, but always fancied a decent motor. Well now I've got one

What's for Afters? - dunno but have to say I fancy Porker Boxter, perhaps P2

JD

[This message has been edited by JayDee (edited 19 October 2000).]
Old 19 October 2000, 10:03 AM
ScoobyBird
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I have to say i quite like the new Lotus Elise - very sexy car...i know it's a little underpowered compared to the scooby but it ooozes style.

I have to admit i don't actually own a scooby but for the first time last night my man let me drive his...brave i know!! and i have to say they are very sexy cars.

I'm sure anytime now he'll be posting complements about my driving capabilities and how all men should let their girlfriends drive their pride and joy!!!

ScoobyBird
Old 19 October 2000, 11:06 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Might buy another Impreza, might not. Doubt I'll ever buy any of their other models.
Old 19 October 2000, 11:09 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

I wouldnt let my girlfriend drive my scoob...hell the wife drives it enough lol Hate the new Impreza, but I reckon Im going to stay loyal by getting a Legacy.... unless I win the lottery that is then its skyline central for me
Stu
Old 19 October 2000, 12:05 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'd keep ma Scoob! It's a sensible family car, 4 door, roomy inside with plenty of head room, nice boot, good handling and fast (therefore safe) and it doubles as a wicked sports car for the weekends.

Scotty.
Old 19 October 2000, 02:53 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Very interesting. The majority of you seem to be moving on from Subaru with your next car.

Is this because you’re all Scoobied out or is it just natural progression onto something better and faster?
Old 19 October 2000, 02:59 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

I will never limit myself to just one type of car. If its a decent car - it'll get my attention.

I do have a hankerin' for a 911 turbo or Skyline....

DOH! Financial troubles ahead...

Quick Reply: Will you always buy a Subaru?