Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EARLY SIGNS OF SHOCK ABSORBER FAILURE ON STI?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 12:39 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EARLY SIGNS OF SHOCK ABSORBER FAILURE ON STI?

I tried posting this in the suspension forum however have not had the answers I was looking for, bearing in mind that this is a common topic, so here goes on this one............:

Please see my car details opposite.

My car was in for its 20k service a couple of weeks ago at the Subaru Dealers. Since then, I have noticed a few strange symptoms whch I consider may be down to the rear shock absorbers failing which I understand is a common complaint on these cars.

At first, I thought one of my rear brakes was sticking slightly as it felt something like that when I was pulling away/ stopping. I monitored the brake dust/ temperature of the discs and then discounted this theory as all seemed well. The symptom was almost like driving with a heavy and loose weight in the backseat???????????? If you know what I mean.......Latterly, I have noticed a light click/ knocking noise from the rear. I understand from the previous owner that the rear shock absorbers have not yet been replaced under warranty which I also understand is quite unusual.

So what do you guys think? I will be taking it down to the dealers shortly and so will get it sorted (hopefuly under warranty - even although it has Prodrive springs, a rear strut brace and 18" PFF7's) however I just wanted to monitor it first and hopefuly correctly diagnose exactly what the problem is. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Stephen Pope; 12 April 2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12 April 2006, 12:42 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

exactly same situation as me back in feb.

they replace both stuts, no questions asked...
Old 12 April 2006, 12:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

when the shocks on the rear of my classic went they went soft, mudflaps were catching at rear when i dropped off speed bumps etc

sounds like your doing the right thing getting it checked out.
Old 12 April 2006, 12:46 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the newage, make sure the dealer gets the modified units as replacements from IM.
Old 12 April 2006, 12:49 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
when the shocks on the rear of my classic went they went soft, mudflaps were catching at rear when i dropped off speed bumps etc

sounds like your doing the right thing getting it checked out.
If anything, it is almosty like they are sticking.

BTW, it is far better to post here than the suspension forum. I only got 1 reply there compared with all these already in minutes!!! Cheers!!! Do you thing the modifications will scare the dealer away from a warranty repair? Should I remove the strut brace first, before going down to the dealer?
Old 12 April 2006, 12:55 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

The rears do stick.

Sometimes when you pull away (usually after its been sat for a while) there's a bit of a clunk and it feels as if the back drops slightly.

When they are stuck you can pull the back of the car up an inch and it will not drop back.

First strut on mine stuck at 8K, second at 10k, now at 21k and I think one is doing it again.

The strut brace would make no difference, but I would remove it just to make things easier.

Funny thing is, Both fronts failed as well, but they went loose.
Old 12 April 2006, 12:58 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, I mean, will the dealer be likely to try and get out of it because of the modification?
Old 12 April 2006, 01:01 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
Cheers mate, I mean, will the dealer be likely to try and get out of it because of the modification?
I would think the strut brace would not be an issue at all, as Subaru sell an equivalent item. However, for peace of mind, you could whip it off, but I doubt it would be necessary.
Old 12 April 2006, 01:13 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate!
Old 12 April 2006, 01:29 PM
zoney-WRX
Scooby Regular

ive had the same problem on my 05 sti started off with a slight knocking noise from the back end which just got louder took it to the dealership the head service guy jumped in the car moved it back 2 foot and said thats enough will order you 2 new rear shockers and that it was a common fault the new shocks came with in 3 days and were fitted with in 2 hrs
Old 12 April 2006, 01:43 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Ditto on My 2003 STi PPP
Old 12 April 2006, 03:14 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate

Crazyman just had to have the o/s rear done after he bought mine, apparently all covered under warranty!!!! from what he described it sounds as if you have the same problem with knocking / dipping when pulling away.

I had the n/s strut and mount done before crazyman bought it back in oct / nov last year - again no questions asked. I know that the struts and mounts are very common probs so get it booked in, I doubt the squealer will even realise it is a TSL333 - best bet is keep quiet and I' sure they won't notice.

Regards

Paul
Old 12 April 2006, 03:15 PM
StiDoc
Scooby Regular

Same here ( MY04 Sti with prodrive springs ). Just waiting for the shocks and struts to come in before having them fitted. In the meantime trundling around sounding like a wreck.
Old 12 April 2006, 03:28 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

My 03 STI is still ok, but warranty is kaput in September. Worrying me now !
Old 12 April 2006, 04:35 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

dealer replaced mine with no questions, and i have eibach springs, different front and rear anti-roll bars and droplinks
Old 12 April 2006, 05:37 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
Same as me except warranty dies in June. I do get an occasional noise from the N/S rear over certain types of uneven surface, but not enough to bother with. Hasn't got any worse since I first noticed it.
JohnD
Old 26 April 2006, 12:37 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Called S&S Services in Ayr last week, dropped it off on Monday evening and picked it back up this morning (although it was ready yesterday afternoon.) No questions asked, very professional and friendly service as usual and all under warranty. They replaced the n/s/r strut and strut top and I have to say what a difference!!!

Car is handling properly again!!!!!!!!!

A BIG THANKS TO S&S!!! GREAT AS USUAL!!!
Old 26 April 2006, 01:00 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
Get it done asap then, it's going to happen. The noise is comoing from both sides at the rear.

No questions asked you will get the new design top mounts and shocks with the modified bushes, on both rears.

Last edited by davedipster; 26 April 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 26 April 2006, 01:05 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by davedipster
Get it done asap then, it's going to happen. The noise is comoing from both sides at the rear.

No questions asked you will get the new design top mounts and shocks with the modified bushes, on both rears.
Agreed - mine just started and I got it nipped in the bud immediately!
Old 26 April 2006, 01:18 PM
Catmark
Scooby Newbie

I have noticed my ones have started to rattle again. I have had them replaced twice in less than a year so this will be the third time. Have Subaru actually developed a new part to overcome this yet. I am starting to get a little fed up with it. Those that have had them replaced did the dealer say that there was a new part and have you had any problems since?
Old 26 April 2006, 01:42 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Does this only effect STI's , only I get a rattle (sounds like the tailgate knocking ) on my 03 WRX wagon that I am trying to investigate , and I wonder if it could be a similar thing ?

Dave
Old 26 April 2006, 01:59 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Mine were replaced last year with the modified units from IM & all still good.

I beleive there is another problem on some of the wagons with something coming loose in the rear panel & needing fixing back.
Old 26 April 2006, 02:03 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Agreed - mine just started and I got it nipped in the bud immediately!
Is this at Ayr? As i know you bought it local to me. Because i wanted to get mine checked. I got the brakes sticking issue and thought it was because it was standing for a week, had the brakes checked at Eaglesham and they were ok. Would make life easier if taking to a garage who is aware of this.

But the rear struts are "clonking" when over bumps and wot-not, so want to see if i need new rear struts.
Old 26 April 2006, 05:22 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster

So is it a case of using my De Niroesque acting skills to convince them I have heard “noises”? It does sound like I’m virtually the only person not to have had them changed !
Old 26 April 2006, 05:49 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
Does this only effect STI's , only I get a rattle (sounds like the tailgate knocking ) on my 03 WRX wagon that I am trying to investigate , and I wonder if it could be a similar thing ?

Dave

No, its on the WRX'x as well mate, though not as common it would appear. I had mine replaced about 2k miles ago now, MY05 WRX

john
Old 26 April 2006, 06:43 PM
rooter75
Scooby Regular

had new rear shocks put on my wr1 a couple of months ago. car was dipping slightly when coming to a stop.
just noticed that when i pull away or change gear there is a small knock which can be heard coming from the rear?
do you think it will be the same problem?
sorry if i've hijacked this thread

rob
Old 26 April 2006, 07:07 PM
Paul .G
Scooby Regular

So the new parts that correct this problem are Uprated??
Currenlty running a JDM with this problem and I dont want to shell out for a new set just for it to come back next year??
Anyone know any part numbers or accurate details for these new shocks?

Paul
Old 26 April 2006, 08:42 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Is this at Ayr? As i know you bought it local to me. Because i wanted to get mine checked. I got the brakes sticking issue and thought it was because it was standing for a week, had the brakes checked at Eaglesham and they were ok. Would make life easier if taking to a garage who is aware of this.

But the rear struts are "clonking" when over bumps and wot-not, so want to see if i need new rear struts.
Yip, S&S in Ayr - excellent place - they offer SIDC discount to SIDC owners (£30 to join, 10% off servicing - you do the maths!!!)

I stopped using Eaglesham after my engine packed in (on my old MY98UK Turbo) 50 miles after it's 82,500 service there. I found them most unhelpfull.

Sounds like yours are gubbed - not much else can go wrong in that department.

The dealer will check your car prior to doing any work - I told them about the problem and they did not order in any parts until the car was with them and they had checked for themselves.

As I understand it, Subaru now replace the top strut mounts with a modified one that will prevent re-occurrence.
Old 26 April 2006, 11:25 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gary C
The rears do stick.

Sometimes when you pull away (usually after its been sat for a while) there's a bit of a clunk and it feels as if the back drops slightly.

When they are stuck you can pull the back of the car up an inch and it will not drop back.
Mine are doing the same now!! they only got replaces 10months ago
Old 27 April 2006, 05:19 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Catmark
I have noticed my ones have started to rattle again. I have had them replaced twice in less than a year so this will be the third time. Have Subaru actually developed a new part to overcome this yet. I am starting to get a little fed up with it. Those that have had them replaced did the dealer say that there was a new part and have you had any problems since?
The dealer should order in the modified top mounts and rear shocks.
I had a chat with the stores guy at my dealership about the knocking, he proceeded to get some paperwork out listing the modified parts (top mounts and shocks) and new part numbers, with drawings of the changes made.
Over a year now and still no knocking.

dipster

Last edited by davedipster; 27 April 2006 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: EARLY SIGNS OF SHOCK ABSORBER FAILURE ON STI?