Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Scoobynet gone to the dogs???

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 06:37 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Has Scoobynet gone to the dogs???

There has been much talk within this forum about the type of people who post on here. Some say it is full of idiots others question non Subaru owners trawling the site. Unlike Gary's thread this is not a poll I just want the general opinions of people who have been on here since the beginning and newbies alike. Have the threads changed over the years or is it a case of the same things being discussed. Apologies if this has been done before but I want people's current opinions.

Maz
Old 11 April 2006, 06:43 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imho its gone to the dogs
Old 11 April 2006, 06:45 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Have the threads changed over the years or is it a case of the same things being discussed
Same things being discussed.....just like this thread
Old 11 April 2006, 06:56 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Yes. As I said earlier: never come across a car forum where so many criticise the very reason the forum exists - the Impreza. A very strange place indeed and one that I'll get sick of (again) soon. Six months reading and I usually give it a rest for 18 months or so.

Cheers
Old 11 April 2006, 07:01 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Imagine how boring this place would be without the people who criticise and made controvertial comments.

My Poll thread has run to 7 or 8 pages in one day. I have given you all something to talk about..... 3000 people have looked at it, 200 have acted on the poll ...... and god knows how many have replied .......

As a side note I dont dislike scoobs ......

ps, Scoobynet doesnt appear to have changed in the time i've been here, you just see scoob owners come along, change to different cars and then post different kinds of comment.
Old 11 April 2006, 07:05 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say ........

It may be called Scoobynet but its way bigger than just a Subaru forum now. You only have to look at the number of people who post in.....say the photography section and no-where else, or the computer section, or the DIY section ....

Fair play to Shaun or whatever his name is for keeping it going
Old 11 April 2006, 07:12 PM
white
Scooby Regular

As I'm new here I can't really comment on this as I have no reference as to what is was like in it's early days, but this does often happen to forums - they become a victim of their own success and as such attract 'unwanted' attention of certain people.

As a current CTR owner (only until the STI arrives ) I can say this has most definitely happened with one of the CTR forums out there. It's now full of chavs and dick heads who just keep posting the same questions when only a few posts down the page is there an exact same post as theirs answering the question they are posing or someone looking for an arguement and posting real abusive rubbish.

There is a new CTR forum that has taken off in the past few months and being relatively new it has only attracted the genuine people out there, but in time who knows, this may go down the pan also.

As for Scoobynet, as I've said, I'm new here so I do quite enjoy this forum, along with SIDC also.

But, is it time to for another Scooby forum in order to start afresh??

Last edited by white; 11 April 2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11 April 2006, 07:14 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

When I joined up there were members who had been on ages and then got disillusioned and sold up/left, its natural progression, 2002's newbies become 2006's old disillusioned farts, this current crop of newbies will be 2010's old farts etc
Im sure others said it about me when I first joined up (probably still do!) but I do wish the search function was utilised a bit more by new members, Im sure they want an answer specific to their car but the archive is full of information/knowledge imparted down and often the answer lies therein.

Finally it has become a far more commercial site, all this google adding for STD's, sponsor this forum, sponsor that forum which is fine, but it means that the site has so many more members a lot of whom have no interest in the impreza, it was frustrating for me back in 2003 or so when I asked what they were doing here but since then my "scooby-blinkers" have been taken off and I understand now that the whole world doesnt think my car is the greatest thing since sliced white loaves or have an in built desire to envy me for having it
Old 11 April 2006, 07:16 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I don't think it's gone to the dogs at all.
I really enjoy being on here. It's very informative as well as a bloody good laugh.
Keep up the good work folks
Old 11 April 2006, 07:16 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

It's a good site allowing access to some good information. It's only let down by the general attitudes of a very vocal minority who feel the need to have a go at everyone and everything - just because they can hide behide their keyboards without any real threat of reprisal. The likes of PSLewis or whatever he's currently calling himself put more effort into causing controversy than actually contributing anything worthwhile.

I enjoy reading the technical articles on here and contributing to the odd thread such as this one, but spend more time over on sidc which is a much friendlier, happier place.
Old 11 April 2006, 07:22 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

read the tech section and have a look at general when you are bored. Tech is what Sn should be like throughout... mostly populated by people who give a damn about Scoobys and want to give people sound advice and not talk about cocklinks (r u listening pissy Lewis)
Old 11 April 2006, 07:24 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by briforbes
It's a good site allowing access to some good information. It's only let down by the general attitudes of a very vocal minority who feel the need to have a go at everyone and everything - just because they can hide behide their keyboards without any real threat of reprisal.
What he said.

Only been on here roughly a year and a half but there seem to be a lot more bellends - whose only goal seems to be to wind up and irritate other users - than there were when I first joined. Its mainly that reason that I spend more time on midland-scoobies.com than this place now
Old 11 April 2006, 07:26 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

People are aloud to view their opinions and sometimes it can be fun having a little arguement on here, but I do feel there isn't much usefull info on here any more (if there ever was), the only subjects that get much responce on here are either to do with Chavs, dump valves or graphics etc . I have posted a couple of threads asking for help sourcing something etc.. and had only a couple of replies, I also find the attitude of some of the members to be quite shocking, I have never come across a group of car owners willing to slate people so much for what they do to their car, constructive critisisum is fine but some people are down right rude and that is not on.
I also dont understand why so many people post on here that dont even own a Subaru, to me its just sad, fair one if you are gonna get one , but if you have sold it, move on and get a life and stop informing us of the decline of Subaru's image.

Last edited by Jdub; 11 April 2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11 April 2006, 07:27 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Intersting thread guys this was done a few months back to a varied respnose

Would be good to see the opinion now
Old 11 April 2006, 07:28 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
read the tech section and have a look at general when you are bored. Tech is what Sn should be like throughout... mostly populated by people who give a damn about Scoobys and want to give people sound advice and not talk about cocklinks (r u listening pissy Lewis)
There are more than enough sections on here to keep everyone amused. The title at the top of GENERAL say 'general community discussion' It doesnt say only come on here if you want to talk about what mod to put on your car next, or what happens if your steering fails, or we all love scoobs ....

You will also notice pslewis giving newbies good advice, not yeah buy it coz it makes your car do 200mph mate .....

Varboy ...... the solution is easy, dont post on here stick to the techy sections
Old 11 April 2006, 07:55 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Always seems to get a bit quieter in here when summer gets near, seems some of us have lives after all
Old 11 April 2006, 07:55 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

There are quite a few threads nowadays that you would not have seen 5 yrs ago. The tone of the place has become more aggressive in certain instances such as personal attacks that go too far.
Used to be lighter hearted and more amusing with excellent technical posts.
Far too many egos who think their voice is the only one worth listening to.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:03 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It's only those users that can barely communicate above the level of a grunt that really get my goat. I'm not talking about a bit of poor spelling - we can't all be good at it - but the 60-I.Q ers that come on going "Hep wiv Dmup vavle plz????????"
Old 11 April 2006, 08:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have been here for 6 years and when I was alone with my thoughts way back when, it was great!!!

Now, I just get abuse from those who have only been here for a nats whisker

There is no respect these days for the elders of the board

Pete
Old 11 April 2006, 08:29 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I have been here over 4 years not many posts but alot of reading.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:32 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Since owning my first scooby in 2002 i have had numerous cars and floated from bbs to bbs but always back to scoobynet at the end of the day.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:32 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
There are more than enough sections on here to keep everyone amused. The title at the top of GENERAL say 'general community discussion' It doesnt say only come on here if you want to talk about what mod to put on your car next, or what happens if your steering fails, or we all love scoobs ....

You will also notice pslewis giving newbies good advice, not yeah buy it coz it makes your car do 200mph mate .....

Varboy ...... the solution is easy, dont post on here stick to the techy sections
the question asked whether the site had gone to the dogs, tbh I cannot comment with a massive amount of knowledge as firstly I don't bother to read a lot of the drawl on here and secondly I have not been a member for years and so have not been able to observe a decline.

I must say though that the number of posts concerning 'my car is faster than a 306GTi' and 'my car got beaten by a 306 GTi' 'oh and by the way 306 GTis are really crap' is starting to grate . Yes these posts are the kind of fodder that you would expect in the 'general' section , but the problem is (and I have never seen this as much as I do in other boards) they degrade to childish slagging with atrocious spelling. Then there are the super trolls such as PS Lewis hooking multiple maggots on multiple lines and other folk yapping on about how the scoob is slow compared to 99.99% of the cars on the roads at the moment. Yawn Yawn

Gutmann: I have read a number of your posts and they are very informative but why o why do you get involved in some of the crap on here?
Old 11 April 2006, 08:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Gutmann: I have read a number of your posts and they are very informative but why o why do you get involved in some of the crap on here?
Because it's FUN .... you boring fart!!

Remind me NOT to invite YOU to one of my candlelight suppers!!! I take it you are over 60 years old with an attitude to suit??

Pete
Old 11 April 2006, 08:39 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Varboy ----- Its easy to answer your question ----- I'm a normal guy with a normal sense of humour, I help people where I can and I have a giggle when I fancy it. It isnt real life, thats worth remembering.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Because it's FUN .... you boring fart!!

Pete
Quicker than me AGAIN ..... Just like my school reports used to say, ''must try harder''
Old 11 April 2006, 08:42 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Gone to the Dogs

The Essex Scooby Crew went to Walthamstow Dog Track quite recently was a great night and we will be

going to the dogs agiain soon
Old 11 April 2006, 08:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
It isnt real life, thats worth remembering.
The brilliant thing about SN is those who actually believe it IS real life ..... the SAME people who send wedding cards to Eastenders and Corrie when someone gets married!!

Pete
Old 11 April 2006, 08:43 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Gone to the Dogs

The Essex Scooby Crew went to Walthamstow Dog Track quite recently was a great night and we will be

going to the dogs agiain soon
Bet you all had ya silly jackets on
Old 11 April 2006, 08:47 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Shirts FFS PINK SHIRTS

Old 11 April 2006, 08:49 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Still got your real car Phil?

Quick Reply: Has Scoobynet gone to the dogs???