Sponsored by:

Got det?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2006, 09:46 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Got det?

Well I have been tinkering on the Scooby. I just cant seem to help myself. I while back I got the WRX mapped @ 17.5 psi. Problem is, WRX had to run my wastegate actuator so damn tight (only a 8psi spring!) to get the APS S/R30 Garret GT BB based turbo to perform, its been spiking to over 22psi now that its cold. Since the car was only mapped for 17.5 psi, I have been getting some mild detonation. After APS sold me another $150 actuator because they "had a problem with the early ones" I figured my boost/det problem was solved. Well I was wrong they sent me another 8psi actuator so I am right back in the same situation. My brand new GReddy Profec B cant alter the boost since the actuator has to be run so tight. After speaking with several APS turbo owners, a 13psi or higher actuator fixes the problem every time. and APS knows this! Well I figured what the hell, I have to either run 12psi of boost and deal with 5.5k worth of lag, or fix the det problem. Needless to say, I'll be getting another actuator tomorrow if I can find one locally or from the states. At this point, I will never buy another APS part.

Enter Steve @ SMC Enterprises. http://www.smcenterprises.com/subaru.htm
I called Steve up and told him about my det problems. He encouraged me to sort the boost first and then see if I still wanted the alcohol injection. I said, I wanted the alcy kit regardless just in case the base takes away my fuel coupons and I would be stuck running base 90 Octane fuel (95ron).
At the same time I saw a post on here about a Spec C 12L trunk mounted reservoir. I just had to have it since it would allow me to carry 2 gallons extra of alcy so there would be much less fill ups and less of a chance of running out during a day at the track... if I ever go! LOL

So why alcy injection? Well its like running race gas when ever the system activates! Depending on my mixture 50% denatured alcy/50% distilled water is about 108 octane! Add the fact that I am always running the TESCO 99 Octane as well I figure I am setting on about 110 octane total! I should never ever ever have det problems!

Install, 3 hours, basic hand tools and its ready. Really, I have had harder luck trying to install radios than this kit. Its so simple and really thought out.

SMC took delivery of my Spec C tank and has modified it to work with my alcy kit. He was very thoughtful and also included 16ft of pre-wired wired harness and 16ft of nomex covered braided steel line. I need no other parts to retrofit the bigger tank! Thanks Steve! Anytime I have had a question or concern, Steve has always been available to take my calls. Guys, I can not say enough good things about SMC. Once we had the mix right (I started out with Isoproply aka rubbing alcohol but switched to Denatured), my car is an absolute BEAST! The car pops and bangs on the over run like a WRC car. I usually get a nice flame on the full throttle up shift... WOW! Only one draw back... it stinks! All my buddies know when the system is active when they are behind me! Oops If I ever get pulled the cop may give me a sobriety test!

Guys, if you want that added bit of headroom for very aggressive mapping this is the ticket! If you just want the added safety of ZERO det and piece of mind, I cant recommend some form of alcy injection enough. Honestly once you get it, you wont understand how you ever lived w/o it! HONESTLY!

Now for the good news, since I am going to receive the SPec C tank with new harness, pump, gauge etc I wont need the other parts already installed. I called Steve and he will send me the parts to make up another kit or I can keep it as spares. If anyone is interested and you'd be crazy not to, I will sell you the spare kit for 300 quid! I'll even help you install it here on the base at the fully equipped DIY garage. You bring the alcohol! For the car silly, I dont drink!

Sorry if I seem incoherent, I just had dental surgery and the drugs are gooood!

Kit (Spec C tank not pictured)

Progressive controller mounted in original ash try location

Nozzle mounted in FMIC pipes

Under the bonnet
Old 09 April 2006, 09:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BVM
Sorry if I seem incoherent, I just had dental surgery and the drugs are gooood!
I've got some very bad news for you ...... while you were under the influence of drugs you have done some REALLY terrible things to your car!!

It now has all the reliability of a 10 year old Rover, a new TVR and a Lotus of any age!!

It's unsaleable and - worse - it's cost you money to destroy it!!

Take your dentist to court and get your wasted money back!!

I also have to report that you have some GAY PINK things around your top mounts!!

Good luck!!

Pete
Old 09 April 2006, 09:55 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Leave him alone, Pete! Some people choose to waste their hard-earned on Heritage Illustrated Plate Collections by Internationally-Renowned Artists - BOV has chosen to squander it upon his car.

Live and let live

It wouldn't do for us all to be 't'same

Each to their o.....
Old 09 April 2006, 09:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Pete
Old 09 April 2006, 09:59 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

What the hell are you guys talking about? I know you brits do things differently but have you all not learned the major advantages of alcohol injection?

LOL on the strut braces, they seem to be getting pinker by the day... off to the powder coater for a manly coat of semi gloss black! Why Subaru decided to use pink is beyond me.
Old 09 April 2006, 10:02 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

p.s. nothing is worse than a 10 year old Rover... I saw this show on the discovery channel where this magistrate would make people drive them as a horrible form of punishment!
Old 09 April 2006, 10:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BVM
Why Subaru decided to use pink is beyond me.
Because only Gay men feel the need to own a STi???

Pete

Trending Topics

Old 09 April 2006, 10:03 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting the turbo setup properly and the mapping tweaked appropriatly should have been the first thing on your list.

The actuator is adjustable, in terms of preload, and it's very important the preload is correctly set in order for the actuator and boost control to work properly. Your boost controller will need to be setup correctly for the altered actuator.

I would strongly recommend the mapping is sorted, in conjunction with the use of the water/alk injection for best results.

Paul
Old 09 April 2006, 10:06 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pavlo
Getting the turbo setup properly and the mapping tweaked appropriatly should have been the first thing on your list.

The actuator is adjustable, in terms of preload, and it's very important the preload is correctly set in order for the actuator and boost control to work properly. Your boost controller will need to be setup correctly for the altered actuator.

I would strongly recommend the mapping is sorted, in conjunction with the use of the water/alk injection for best results.

Paul
Thanks Paul but I am well aware of that and once I get the correct actuator the car will be heading back down to have the map adjusted to get the full benefit of the alcy injection. I think I mentioned that in my original post.
Old 09 April 2006, 10:11 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Pete, i own an Sti and it would be news to me and my wife and kids if i was a bandit.
I do agree that pink is probably not the best choice of colour, who knows what our little friends from the east were thinking

Originally Posted by pslewis
Because only Gay men feel the need to own a STi???

Pete
Old 09 April 2006, 10:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Pete, i own an Sti and it would be news to me and my wife and kids if i was a bandit.
I do agree that pink is probably not the best choice of colour, who knows what our little friends from the east were thinking
Plenty of bandits have a wife and kids

Proves nowt

Pete
Old 09 April 2006, 10:25 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Agreed but the people you refer to are usually MP's, judges or vicars.
I am non of the above

Originally Posted by pslewis
Plenty of bandits have a wife and kids

Proves nowt

Pete
Old 09 April 2006, 11:33 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BVM
Thanks Paul but I am well aware of that and once I get the correct actuator the car will be heading back down to have the map adjusted to get the full benefit of the alcy injection. I think I mentioned that in my original post.
Good. I am surprised you had so much of an issue with the SR30. I have found them to be really quite nice, certainly better than 3/4 of an SR40!
Old 09 April 2006, 11:38 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pavlo
Good. I am surprised you had so much of an issue with the SR30. I have found them to be really quite nice, certainly better than 3/4 of an SR40!
Yeah me to, its not like I am dealing with some junk homemade turbo. Its just the stupid actuator. Why they only supply it with an 8psi spring is beyond me. Other than that, when its working properly, its an amazing turbo. Too bad APS is killing it off.
Old 10 April 2006, 12:24 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

good to see the cars comming on

remember to lets us all know how it goes when all setup

on a side note how do you find the car handles all the extra power, just got mine back Saturday evening and finding it a bit of a handfull on the wet roads

Rich
Old 10 April 2006, 12:37 AM
BVM
Scooby Regular

Yeah they can get a bit scary! My car doesnt get driven all that much. I might only put about 20 miles on it a week. If the weather is bad, I usually drive the wife's Legacy.