TRAFFIC OFFICER PATROL VEHICLES

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2006, 10:20 AM
Jolly Green Giant
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAFFIC OFFICER PATROL VEHICLES

Hi guys

My first ever thread so be patient with me guys.

Obviously everyone driving on the motorway has noticed the Traffic Officer Motorway Patrol vehicles driving round in yellow and black 4x4's and assisting with incidents on the motorway.

Everyone follows these vehicles with caution and if they are pulled over to the side of the road all traffic slows right down, just like a speed trap.

Does anyone know if these guys can stop you for speeding? or dangerous driving? or are they purely there to assist with incidents?

I personally have not been caught or think Im in trouble (before any of those posts start) I am just purely curious and hoping to help my fellow Scooby drivers.

Thanks
Old 05 April 2006, 10:30 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I don't see the word POLICE on them so they get the same courtesy and respect as other motorway users. I'm sure they have some special powers such as a walkie talkie or mobile phone that they can use once they have pulled over in a safe manner and report somebody.
Old 05 April 2006, 11:47 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

In the mtorway services it says its an offence not to follow their directions. I think that means as they clear traffic from a crash site, not to pull you over. The police are there to do that.
Old 05 April 2006, 11:50 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Topic been covered before.

Here's some finer details.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/601.aspx
Old 05 April 2006, 12:26 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I have a relative who is a traffic officer in hertfordshire, they undergo special medical training and are seen as the first onsite in a accident.

on the downside supposedly they have very little emotional support for the physcological aspects of being first onsite.

they have no powers of arrest, but do have methods of communicating with the police.
Old 05 April 2006, 02:07 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Arrow

They have no powers and are glorified road sweepers!
They are there to assist with accidents, monitor traffic etc, but have no powers in law to stop vehicles etc. Their markings/livery are designed to look like the Police, so people will slow down etc.
Privatising certain Police duties, as it is finacially cheaper
Old 05 April 2006, 02:20 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BonzWRX
Their markings/livery are designed to look like the Police, so people will slow down etc.
Privatising certain Police duties, as it is finacially cheaper
No they're not, they are marked like that so that we're highly visible and to help prevent us being crashed in to while we're on the hard shoulder.

And how is it privatisation when the Highways Agency is a part of a governmebt department?
Old 05 April 2006, 02:24 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
In the mtorway services it says its an offence not to follow their directions. I think that means as they clear traffic from a crash site, not to pull you over. The police are there to do that.
Just to introduce myself, I'm a Traffic Officer.

Basically the only powers we have are to stop and direct traffic, this does not include pulling people over for speeding or other offences.

We attend breakdowns to make sure that people have got recovery on the way and are safe etc, we also remove debris, attend crashes and other inicdents to assist the police.

Basically we deal with the stuff that traffic police don't really need to, so that they can deal with the more important stuff.
Old 05 April 2006, 03:55 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I was stuck in a queue of traffic creeping past one of these on the M4 the other day. It was in line 3 doing 70mph with lanes 1 and 2 clear.
Old 05 April 2006, 03:58 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
Basically we deal with the stuff that traffic police don't really need to, so that they can deal with the more important stuff.
You mean you deal with the stuff the traffic police used to deal with because you are cheaper to employ.

They should be increasing the number of traffic police not employing lesser trained individuals to do the job. It's a disgrace.
Old 05 April 2006, 04:03 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
You mean you deal with the stuff the traffic police used to deal with because you are cheaper to employ.

They should be increasing the number of traffic police not employing lesser trained individuals to do the job. It's a disgrace.
No i mean "we deal with the stuff that traffic police don't really need to"
yes we are cheaper to employ, but what's the point in paying traffic police £30k+ a year if they're wasting their time attending breakdowns all day?
Old 05 April 2006, 04:14 PM
Rabid
BANNED

No i mean "we deal with the stuff that traffic police don't really need to"
yes we are cheaper to employ, but what's the point in paying traffic police £30k+ a year if they're wasting their time attending breakdowns all day?
.....because on the way to deal with these type of incidents they can be providing all the other benefits of highly trained traffic officers.

I believe employing lesser trained individuals is just a money saving exercise, similar to the muppets who work in "street crime" patrols.
Old 05 April 2006, 04:18 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
.....because on the way to deal with these type of incidents they can be providing all the other benefits of highly trained traffic officers.

I believe employing lesser trained individuals is just a money saving exercise, similar to the muppets who work in "street crime" patrols.
But there still just as many traffic police on the roads, they just don't have their time tied up by the less productive jobs now
Old 05 April 2006, 04:26 PM
Rabid
BANNED

But there still just as many traffic police on the roads, they just don't have their time tied up by the less productive jobs now
uh-huh...and the money used on motorway patrols could be used to employ more traffic officers rather than on lesser trained individuals.
Old 05 April 2006, 04:30 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No they're not, they are marked like that so that we're highly visible and to help prevent us being crashed in to while we're on the hard shoulder.

Doesn't work: at least one person has already been killed when a vehicle drove onto the hard shoulder at speed and rammed into the back of a stationary HATO van. The two men in the van were fine, but it was shunted into the vehicle it had stopped to assist, and the woman driver of that vehicle was caught between the two and killed.

M
Old 05 April 2006, 04:35 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Doesn't work: at least one person has already been killed when a vehicle drove onto the hard shoulder at speed and rammed into the back of a stationary HATO van. The two men in the van were fine, but it was shunted into the vehicle it had stopped to assist, and the woman driver of that vehicle was caught between the two and killed.

M
Well when the lorry driver is pissed *alledgedly* it doesn't matter how many stickers or flashiong lights you've got on i suppose.
And for the record they weren't "fine", they both ended up in intensive care
Old 05 April 2006, 04:39 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

M42 is covered with them.........big braking down to 70, then of we go again when I see the black checks on the side

Ought to charge them for my new pads.........
Old 05 April 2006, 05:03 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

If it gets the motorways cleared sooner then F'in great. It's bad enough driving down from North Scotland without getting stuck behind slow moving traffic after an accident and the insuing clean-up.