Advice for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2006, 08:57 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a newbie

Hi Guys,

Name is Liam, just signed up to this forum and look forward to using it and gaining some knowledge from you guys.

I currently own a CTR but have just ordered a brand new white '06 STi.

With the CTR's I've owned previously (on my third now) I have revved the guts out of them from new.

I don't plan on doing this with the Scoob as I'm well aware that FI engines are different to NA engines in how they need to be bedded in, plus I want to look after the diffs too.

What I'm looking for is just sound, basic advice from knowledgeable people like yourselves in how I should go about running the car in.

I plan on having the car serviced by Litchfield/Powerstation as they are about 80 miles away from me (I'm in South Wales) and seem very reputable.

They also offer a 330bhp upgrade as well. Is this worth going for or could I get more bang for buck elsewhere??

I'm a firm believer in sorting the handling too so any advice there on mods would be welcome.

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions but I want to get it right first time and have truly enjoyable Subaru ownership experience.
Old 31 March 2006, 09:29 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

elo mate . welcome home . im new to owning a scooby so cant help you that much. sorry. but im sure there are plenty of people on SN who can.
Old 31 March 2006, 09:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

On running in (1st 1k miles) treat her gently, never exceeding 4k revs and try to vary revs, speed and gear (so don't just go for a long hike on the m-way). After the 1k service when the p!ssy running-in oil is replaced (with a good semi) spend the next 2-3k miles slowly building (use the rev shift beep/light to good effect) from 4.5k upwards.

Even when run in, it isn't advisable to rev like you would in the CTR. With FI the peak torque will be IRO 6k, and thereafter you are in diminishing power, so it's better to change up at 6k and be around 4k in the next gear and in rising power. If you hang on 'til 7k you will have been in diminishing power for 1k and be at 5k in the next gear, limiting growing power. I hope that makes sense

As for the 1st mod, I'd spend a couple of months getting used to the car (& running in) and then speak to PS about the T20/25 suspension package (AST's & Whiteline goodies) as these will make your car much faster on the road than the extra power, and make it much better when you eventually do add the extra power. The PS Milltek/remap package is very respected, as is the TSL333 and WRC Technologies 350/360 packs.

HTH, and welcome to SNet
Old 31 March 2006, 09:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Don't know if it's much help, but I will be ordering an 06 STI very shortly from Litchfields and was planning on fitting the Prodrive springs (and anti-roll bars etc) which is approx £700.

Had heard it makes a big difference, better handling and ride.

I would get it serviced there to so was thinking about getting their upgrade rather than the PPP, but need more details to be sure.
Old 31 March 2006, 09:43 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

I love white!!!
Old 31 March 2006, 09:44 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Greeting and salutation ( and warm welcome!)

Before buying my WRX300 was seriously considering a CTR (which i found to be awesome) . . .WRX away, and never looked back!

Enjoy yr car!

(Sorry not much to offer by way of advise, as intend to keep my car original)

Old 31 March 2006, 09:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
was planning on fitting the Prodrive springs (and anti-roll bars etc) which is approx £700..
If you can afford the extra, get the T20/25 kit
Old 01 April 2006, 07:30 AM
white
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the welcome guys.

The advice is much appreciated too

Will definitely be taking my time running it in and concentrate on adjusting my driving style to suit the car. With the CTR your always working the box to keep it in the VTEC and always running it to the redline, but, as it's been pointed out running the STi this way will offer no gains at all.

Think I'll go the handling route first and get used to extra power and torque that the STi will offer over my CTR.

Just gotta wait for the car to arrive now!
Old 01 April 2006, 07:48 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Bet you cant wait! Every hour feels like a day!! I know the feeling, I'm far too impatient
Old 01 April 2006, 08:24 AM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nathanb
Bet you cant wait! Every hour feels like a day!! I know the feeling, I'm far too impatient
Tell me about it mate.

Been told it'll take around 6-8 weeks coz I want a white one.
Old 01 April 2006, 10:40 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

If you check the wales section out, there is a meet on the 12th in Cardiff, why don't you come along and get to know everyone before you get your car?
Old 01 April 2006, 07:06 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboDean
If you check the wales section out, there is a meet on the 12th in Cardiff, why don't you come along and get to know everyone before you get your car?
Thanks for the kind offer mate but I'll I'm college on that day (completing my HNC). I will definitely be coming along to some future meets and getting to know everybody.