Sponsored by:

The free air box mod

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2006, 11:01 PM
m.marshall
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The free air box mod

Is anyone else running ther car with this mod and if so what did use 2 fill the the hole left over!
Old 30 March 2006, 05:10 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've been running this for 2 years now. I blanked the hole with good old-fashioned duct tape Sealed around the holes in the wing and airbox with it too to ensure no hot, dirty engine bay air can creep in.
Old 30 March 2006, 12:11 PM
m.marshall
Scooby Newbie

Ive been using duct but just wanted to kno if any had come across anything to make it look alot more tidy to look at
Old 30 March 2006, 12:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I believe there is a black plastic blanking plate you can buy. I've seen one on one of the US cars, but aren't sure who'd supply it over here
Old 30 March 2006, 01:01 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

What mod is this?
Old 30 March 2006, 01:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Removal of the ram-air scoop and intake resonator. The standard air intake sucks air from the hot, dirty engine bay through a restrictive resonator situated in the O/S wing, the only purpose of which is to quieten down the induction. If you look along the front edge of the bonnet where it meets the grille and headlight there are 3 separate rubber sealing strips, making it extremely difficult for air to get into the (so-called) ram-air scoop which leads to the resonator. These two items can be easily removed to allow the cool, clean, plentiful air in the O/S wing to be induced instead. Seal up the holes in the wing and seal around the inlet of the air-box to the wing with duct tape. On 03+ WRX's I remove the foglight trim and drill out an area in the plastic light mounting to allow air through the decorative little vents into the wing. DO NOT however be tempted to fit ducting from the front of the car, especially from low down, directly into the airbox as this can result in MAF contamination as your car will suck up water, dirt, oil and God knows what else and feed it directly into the induction piping. Leave it as it is and any crud that makes its way into the wing will stay down low, and the airbox will pull its clean air from the top of the wing.
Old 30 March 2006, 02:59 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy - I recently done this mod on my bugeye.... left a 100mm hose behind the fog light (just about 4 inches off the floor) and i was wondering if you think this will cause a problem......

I'm planning to clean my green filter every 3 months or so, at which point i may give my maf a quick clean with a carb cleaner or something...

Surely the chances of water making it up through that route is pretty slim and as for debris that will get picked up in the filter before the maf?
Old 30 March 2006, 03:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

CLICKY The pics from this link must have been removed, but flick down to "austenwrx" comments on post 28. They are all discussing ducting directly to the airbox and for austen it didn't work out.