Sponsored by:

Well, I tried ..........

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2006, 01:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Well, I tried ..........

For 6 years now I have tried to stand up for the average Subaru Owner, I have brought my considerable Engineering expertise down on the ***** who would scare the **** out of you ..... they don't like it at all (which is a bonus )

I'm getting tired of it all as there are those who have vested interests in making the Impreza out to be the most unreliable car of all time ... unless, of course, you buy their product or service - in which case it becomes a 500BHP snarling tarmac eating beast of a machine with a lifespan measured in Hours!

6 Years of experience around Subarus, Subaru Dealers, Subaru Owners, Subaru Tuners and Subaru Fans in general has taught me a few salient points ... this is probably the only list a newbie will need to save himself a pot of money.

1. Subarus ARE extremely reliable in standard form

2. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive Oils

3. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive fuels

4. Modifying a Subaru makes it less reliable

5. You do NOT need a CockLink - why buy something that you actually adjust until it doesn't scare you anymore? Just don't buy it in the first place!

6. You do NOT need a re-map if you buy fuel from a garage that happens to display a different LOGO on the forecourt ... the fuels all come from the same refineries

7. Modify your Subaru and reduce its re-sale value massively

8. Rolling Roads are a great get together, but please don't think they are accurate

9. Owning an Impreza Turbo and driving sensible is actually a clever thing to do .... you do not have to drive like a **** whilst holding a Wheel with MOMO on it!

10. Imports are more trouble and less saleable than UK cars

11. Some Subaru Main Dealers actually know what they are doing, shock horror!

12. There is ABSOLUTELY no need to carry out the **** Oil Change Procedure, your engine will NOT blow up if you do as the normal people do

13. Subarus are simple normal cars with simple normal requirements, ok the engine is a boxer engine ... but that makes no difference whatsoever to its maintenance - you do not have to be an **** to look after it correctly

14. The Subaru Impreza is probably one of the greatest cars of all time ... don't let the scaremongerers make you think otherwise!!

Pete

Last edited by pslewis; 18 March 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 18 March 2006, 01:38 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Old 18 March 2006, 01:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Was going well until I read this:

The Subaru Impreza is probably one of the greatest cars of all time

Don't kid yourself, I suspect that ***** with their "subaru conquers all" attitude might be getting through to you afterall
Old 18 March 2006, 01:47 PM
Bram
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owww errr I see more borg replying to this.
Old 18 March 2006, 01:55 PM
TypeUK_STi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pslewis

Totally agree..... thats why i left it
Old 18 March 2006, 01:57 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

A very good post imo.

Well said that man.
Old 18 March 2006, 01:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I sense a change in ScoobyNet ..... a victory for common sense is within our grasp!!!

The ***** and Scaremongerers need to be cast to the margins ... as they are in society as a whole!!

Hail Common Sense .... intelligence reigns supreme

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 02:18 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I sense a change in ScoobyNet ..... a victory for common sense is within our grasp!!!

The ***** and Scaremongerers need to be cast to the margins ... as they are in society as a whole!!

Hail Common Sense .... intelligence reigns supreme

Pete
Don't worry i'm sure it will all change soon
Old 18 March 2006, 02:23 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby
Don't worry i'm sure it will all change soon
*buys neons and a purge kit*
Old 18 March 2006, 03:35 PM
Scooby Regular

I think that the original post sums things up well.
It is a summary that applies to any car with a 'following' (as in my experience of my 20 years of 911 ownership), and will never change.

Owning as I do a modified Sti V3 all is applicable, but i have only found one good Impreza dealer (Andrew Burt Subaru) but he has now closed his doors. The Bug-eye (design) saw to that.

Some points are a sweeping generalisation imho, but I accept where he is coming from.

Graham.
Old 18 March 2006, 04:13 PM
New_scooby_04

Perhaps how one responds to this post could be used to determine wihether they are an SN **** Pete, for the record, here are my opinions.

1. Subarus ARE extremely reliable in standard form: Yes, you don't win JD power with unhappy customers.

2. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive Oils: No, what Subaru recomend is fine, but it won't hurt to use one of the more expensive proper fully synths (they're only about £14 more each month, anyway) At the very worst, you can say you paid £14 for a 'name' at the best, they'll protect your engine better.

3. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive fuels. (Assuming UK car) No, you don't need expensive fuel, but you'll most likely want it) Like any car with active knock control, a scooby will advance/retard ignition timing to account for the octane of the fuel in use. Use crap fuel, the car won't run as well. Simple as that.

4. Modifying a Subaru makes it less reliable. Can do, but not necessarily, sympathetic and intelligently researched mods are fine, go overboard, or install cheap and nasty stuff and prepare to pay!!

5. You do NOT need a CockLink - why buy something that you actually adjust until it doesn't scare you anymore? Just don't buy it in the first place!

Unnecessary in std cars, although can be useful to spot a failing sensor. Wise precaution in a tuned car. Do agree on the adjustment issue, there is little point in having a sensor if you're just going to ignore/modify what it says to meet your own expectations! At the very least, the Girls at Mc D's love em.

6. You do NOT need a re-map if you buy fuel from a garage that happens to display a different LOGO on the forecourt ... the fuels all come from the same refineries Remaps only generally necessary for fueling reasons on imports. Of course if you perform mods on the car, you'll get more if you tell the ECU what's going on; it's designed to adjust parameters within the expected tolerances of a std car, when you modify you can go outside these tolerances.

7. Modify your Subaru and reduce its re-sale value massively: For a certain audience, not for others, it may increase the car's appeal, just don't expect your money back at sale time!

8. Rolling Roads are a great get together, but please don't think they are accurate: True to a certain extent, engine dyno is the most accurate way to measure things. Some RRs are good though, and they have their uses!

9. Owning an Impreza Turbo and driving sensible is actually a clever thing to do .... you do not have to drive like a **** whilst holding a Wheel with MOMO on it! True!!

10. Imports are more trouble and less saleable than UK cars. True for classics; they are -generally speaking- a significantly more risky proposition than UK cars. Not so true with the new age cars though.

11. Some Subaru Main Dealers actually know what they are doing, shock horror! Like any dealer franchise, there are good and bad, probably more bad than good. They are -first and formost- there to shift metal!

12. There is ABSOLUTELY no need to carry out the **** Oil Change Procedure, your engine will NOT blow up if you do as the normal people do
Servicing the car yourself will mean less stamps in the Maintenence book and have a deleterious effect on resale value.

13. Subarus are simple normal cars with simple normal requirements, ok the engine is a boxer engine ... but that makes no difference whatsoever to its maintenance - you do not have to be an **** to look after it correctly.

They are high performance cars developing over 100bhp per litre, they require prompt and diligent maintenence, not pampering. Like any car, it pays to have it taken care of by peole who Know the car, not greasy bob who may have seen one for an MOT 5 years back!

14. The Subaru Impreza is probably one of the greatest cars of all time ... don't let the scaremongerers make you think otherwise!!

Couldn't agree more and don't listen to anyone who tell you they're slow!

SN ***** aren't so unreasonable after all!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 18 March 2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 18 March 2006, 04:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm getting tired of it
You're getting tired of it
Old 18 March 2006, 04:41 PM
Bram
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Perhaps how one responds to this post could be used to determine wihether they are an SN **** Pete, for the record, here are my opinions.

1. Subarus ARE extremely reliable in standard form: Yes, you don't win JD power with unhappy customers.

2. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive Oils: No, what Subaru recomend is fine, but it won't hurt to use one of the more expensive proper fully synths (they're only about £14 more each month, anyway) At the very worst, you can say you paid £14 for a 'name' at the best, they'll protect your engine better.

3. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive fuels. (Assuming UK car) No, you don't need expensive fuel, but you'll most likely want it) Like any car with active knock control, a scooby will advance retard ignition timing to account for the octane of the fuel in use. Use crap feul, the car won't run as well. Simple as that.

4. Modifying a Subaru makes it less reliable. Can do, but not necessarily, sympathetic and intelligently researched mods are fine, go overboard, or install cheap and nasty stuff and prepare to pay!!

Unnecessary in std cars, although can be useful to spot a failing sensor. Wise precaution in a tuned car. Do agree on the adjustment issue, there is little point in having a sensor if you're just going to ignore/modify what it says to meet your own expectations! At the very least, the Girls at Mc D's love em.

6. You do NOT need a re-map if you buy fuel from a garage that happens to display a different LOGO on the forecourt ... the fuels all come from the same refineries Remaps only necessary for fueling reasons on imports

7. Modify your Subaru and reduce its re-sale value massively: For a certain audience, not for others, it may increase the car's appeal, just don't expect your money back at sale time!

8. Rolling Roads are a great get together, but please don't think they are accurate: True to a certain extent, engine dyno is the most accurate way to measure things. Some RRs are good though, and they have their uses!

9. Owning an Impreza Turbo and driving sensible is actually a clever thing to do .... you do not have to drive like a **** whilst holding a Wheel with MOMO on it! True!!

10. Imports are more trouble and less saleable than UK cars. True for classics; they are -generally speaking- a significantly more risky proposition than UK cars. Not so true with the new age cars though.

11. Some Subaru Main Dealers actually know what they are doing, shock horror! Like any dealer franchise, there are good and bad, probably more bad than good. They are -first and formost- there to shift metal!

Servicing the car yourself will mean less stamps in the Maintenence book and have a deleterious effect on resale value.

13. Subarus are simple normal cars with simple normal requirements, ok the engine is a boxer engine ... but that makes no difference whatsoever to its maintenance - you do not have to be an **** to look after it correctly.

They are high performance cars developing over 100bhp per litre, they require prompt and diligent maintenence, not pampering. Like any car, it pays to have it taken care of by peole who Know the car, not greasy bob who may have seen one for an MOT 5 years back!

Couldn't agree more and don't listen to anyone who tell you they're slow!

SN ***** aren't so unreasonable after all!

Ns04
Pete right SN is getting better, good common sense post
Old 18 March 2006, 04:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

NS04 good reply .... by that reply you are only on the fringes of Analism

There is still time to pull back from the edge!!

I would take issue will a couple of your excellent points:-

The expensive oils do NOT protect your engine any better, what they do is allow to to extend the oil change or operate in extreme conditions ... if you drive your car sensibly then there is NO extra protection afforded.

Servicing the car DIY is fine, I think, after about 5 years .... the effect on value come re-sale is minimal at that time as condition takes over dictating the value.

Other than that there isn't a great deal between us

Corradoboy ..... good contribution

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 04:52 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Old 18 March 2006, 05:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds

Ha Ha Ha Ha typical ........ a Troll post from the master troll who has had his membership cancelled ... WITHOUT REFUND!! ... there is a village somewhere looking for an Idiot, please apply

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 05:04 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha Ha Ha typical ........ a Troll post from the master troll who has had his membership cancelled ... WITHOUT REFUND!! ... there is a village somewhere looking for an Idiot, please apply

Pete

Sorry, I know I shouldn't encourage him, but it did make me laugh.
Old 18 March 2006, 05:09 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ha Ha Ha Ha typical ........ a Troll post from the master troll who has had his membership canceled ... WITHOUT REFUND!! ... there is a village somewhere looking for an Idiot, please apply

Pete
i walked right into that one. although i am just a charlatan, a pretender to the throne. No one comes close to your troll like abilities.your ability to sniff out a newbie spouting crap, or an "**** "oil change thread a mile off is impresive.

Ps my membership has not been cancelled ,just modified
Old 18 March 2006, 05:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

i walked right into that one. although i am just a charlatan, a pretender to the throne. No one comes close to your troll like abilities.your ability to sniff out a newbie spouting crap, or an "**** "oil change thread a mile off is impresive.

Ps my membership has not been cancelled ,just modified
I told them to BAN you

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 05:18 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

I told them to BAN you

Pete
so did i but webby pm'd me declaring his undying love for me and now all is fine
Old 18 March 2006, 05:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

so did i but webby pm'd me declaring his undying love for me and now all is fine
How many thousand requests do you reckon webby has had to ban me??

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 05:51 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Daniel-S; 19 March 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 18 March 2006, 06:00 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 06:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
I never thought i'd say this but Petes post was quite truthful

But i think NS04s was better
HEY!!!!!!!!

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 06:26 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Boring
Old 18 March 2006, 06:39 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

For 6 years now I have tried to stand up for the average Subaru Owner, I have brought my considerable Engineering expertise down on the ***** who would scare the **** out of you ..... they don't like it at all (which is a bonus )

I'm getting tired of it all as there are those who have vested interests in making the Impreza out to be the most unreliable car of all time ... unless, of course, you buy their product or service - in which case it becomes a 500BHP snarling tarmac eating beast of a machine with a lifespan measured in Hours!

6 Years of experience around Subarus, Subaru Dealers, Subaru Owners, Subaru Tuners and Subaru Fans in general has taught me a few salient points ... this is probably the only list a newbie will need to save himself a pot of money.

1. Subarus ARE extremely reliable in standard form

2. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive Oils

3. Standard Subarus do NOT need special expensive fuels

4. Modifying a Subaru makes it less reliable

6. You do NOT need a re-map if you buy fuel from a garage that happens to display a different LOGO on the forecourt ... the fuels all come from the same refineries

8. Rolling Roads are a great get together, but please don't think they are accurate

9. Owning an Impreza Turbo and driving sensible is actually a clever thing to do .... you do not have to drive like a **** whilst holding a Wheel with MOMO on it!

10. Imports are more trouble and less saleable than UK cars

11. Some Subaru Main Dealers actually know what they are doing, shock horror!

13. Subarus are simple normal cars with simple normal requirements, ok the engine is a boxer engine ... but that makes no difference whatsoever to its maintenance - you do not have to be an **** to look after it correctly

Pete

So whats your point?
Old 18 March 2006, 06:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Helping out the Newbies is all ....... my posts should be made sticky as they are so valuable!!

Pete
Old 18 March 2006, 06:57 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have had a classic and a new age import with no bother and better than domestic residuals - damn where did I go wrong
Old 18 March 2006, 06:58 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

your posts should be banished to the pits of hell
Old 18 March 2006, 08:55 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally posted by the Worther muncher..!: 6 Years of experience around Subaru's, Subaru Dealers, Subaru Owners, Subaru Tuners and Subaru Fans in general has taught me a few salient points ... this is probably the only list a newbie will need to save himself a pot of money.
All that experience and you don't know;

a) the size of your fuel tank

b) what brake calipers are fitted to your car

and finally (hilarious)

c) what happens beyond 3000rpm..!

FFS Pete my 2 year old son knows more about scoobs than you..!

Just stick to the rocket science/nuclear weaponary (oh and your 'Magnum' lol )

Quick Reply: Well, I tried ..........