Sponsored by:

What do they do all day?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2006, 11:49 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What do they do all day?

I very nearly got run over on a pedestrian crossing last Friday, a girl in her twenties drove her Polo through a red light laughing to her passengers as she went. If I hadn't looked around the bus in the nearest lane (Bond St in Bristol, three lanes and a central divider), she would have hit me. All other traffic was stopped and she had clearly accelerated instead of braking. I was really pi**ed off, so I took her number and phoned the law. They took the details, but told me I'd have to report it in person at a station if I "wanted them to take it further".

So, after work, I went to the station in the centre of bristol, which amazingly is no longer open to the public (a helpful note on the door suggests you might want to try a station two miles either side if you're getting stabbed or something)!

So I got off the bus a stop early on the way home and called in at my local station, but it shuts for a very long lunch, bless.

The next day (Saturday), I went to another local station, but I made the mistake of turning up at the ungodly hour of 10AM, the station doesn't open until 11AM!

So I went back to my local nick, but they only open Monday to Friday. Lazy public-dodging b@st@rds.

Still, thank **** criminals only operate during office hours nowadays, eh?
Old 16 March 2006, 11:56 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

drink coffee and eat do-nuts

there hopeless, never there when you want them, but you can bet your life that when you hit the 33mph in a 30 they will be there and they will be only to pleased to talk to you then....

Theres an idea
Old 17 March 2006, 08:16 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Lazy Barstewards, I suppose their excuse is the amount of paperwork they have to complete and Bristol can't have enough crime to justify a public facing cop can it?

Unless the car nearly ran them or thier family over, they wouldn't be interested mate. Don't bother taking it further unless you have another independant witness they will tell you to forget the incident and f*ck off.....

And I had respect for the police when I was younger, before I realised that they were arrogant, useless etc etc.......

Any comments from the excellent police people that frequent this forum?!
Old 17 March 2006, 08:26 AM
Slow_Ste
Scooby Newbie

They do the most difficult job in the world so give them a break.

They deal with stupid ****s who think they're all ****s. (see above)

Im pretty sure they dont choose what time there police stations open, that is responsibility of the councils and goverment. So if you have a problem with the opening times, send them letters and call them lazy arrogant ****s living in carebear land (which tbh most goverment officials are)
Old 17 March 2006, 08:39 AM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slow_Ste
They do the most difficult job in the world so give them a break.

They deal with stupid ****s who think they're all ****s. (see above)

Im pretty sure they dont choose what time there police stations open, that is responsibility of the councils and goverment. So if you have a problem with the opening times, send them letters and call them lazy arrogant ****s living in carebear land (which tbh most goverment officials are)
Fair point, but it's still frustrating as they always seem to be there when you don't need/want em.
Old 17 March 2006, 08:47 AM
r5 gtt
Scooby Regular

Yep the police in bristol are a total waste of space, i actually had a letter from some copper the other week because i had been to a car club meet then after ended up parked in a car park where all the boyracers go. The letter basically said we don't mind you going there and cant do anything about you being there but dont drop litter and dont do wheelspins and drive dangerosly..well i'm glad they've got the time and money to waste sending such crap letters out to people!! Go catch some real criminals like all the car thiefs etc....
Old 17 March 2006, 11:03 AM
paulquest
Scooby Regular

So glad I'm a rail cop.

A lot of you guys really don't like us do you.

There is a lot of negative thought aimed toward the police on this forum.
A lot of you slag us off saying that we are never there, blaming the paperwork, lack of resources etc, etc.
I't's not the bobby on the streets fault. You need to be looking at the managment and goverment for this.
There are not enought police, there is to much paperwork and we don't all eat kebabs making us fat bloater unable to catch anyone. I like the odd curry now and again between gym sessions.

Why don't some of you try this and see how many police actually take part.

www.toughguy.co.uk

Might even see some of you there.

Anyway rant over. (due to the last 3 threads I read slagging the plod off.)
Old 17 March 2006, 02:33 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Arrow

As above really. If you had an insight into what they actually do, but you never see, you might be a little less narrow minded!
The problem actually lies with local councils and the court system. The law catch all the little *****, but the courts let them go! "Ah, is he a drug addict, we had better go soft on him".

Please, no hate directed my way for respecting the over worked, under resourced law!
Old 17 March 2006, 03:00 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by BonzWRX
As above really. If you had an insight into what they actually do, but you never see, you might be a little less narrow minded!
The problem actually lies with local councils and the court system. The law catch all the little *****, but the courts let them go! "Ah, is he a drug addict, we had better go soft on him".

Please, no hate directed my way for respecting the over worked, under resourced law!
I certainly didn't have hate in mind when I started this post, just pi**ed off that I tried four times to visit a station and couldn't even get in.
Old 17 March 2006, 03:26 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

I have never had a problem with the police themselves, I have not come into contact with them that often but every time I have, I have found them to be courteous, polite and helpful, even when I had clearly been a bit naughty.
What you are complaining about is not the police per se but the way the police are run, to very different things.

I generally find being polite, courteous and treating them with respect from the outset puts both parties in the right frame of mind. I am sure at times I have been let off with a 'don't do that again' lecture purely because I was not lippy or rude, btw always call them officer or sir, they love that!!!

My neighbour was recently car jacked at knife point on his door step and frankly when something serious like happens the police do respond, they were at his doorstep in under two minutes, two uniformed and two CID, and again they were nothing but regular nice guys.

As for the middle management types who are closing police stations down etc and frankly causing the problem you have just experienced, yes that does makes my blood boil...
Old 17 March 2006, 04:12 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

my problem with them is totaly justified and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Not wanting to go into it at. but, every one i have dealt with has had a serious attitude problem, im certain there are some out there that dont, but as of yet, im still to meet one. Yes they deal with alot of bad things, deaths and so on, but so do other rescue services and they tend to do it with out the intention of "who is to blame"

But i guess dealing with crims all day everyday, its bound to rub off on them sooner or later....
Old 17 March 2006, 04:23 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Nice to see that you "looked" as you were crossing.

How many pedestrians do you see step out onto a crossing without looking ??

As a pedestrian you should always look before you cross, and as you you are crossing, for the reasons you mentioned in your post.

Cheers,
Graeme.
Old 17 March 2006, 04:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by graeme.
How many pedestrians do you see step out onto a crossing without looking ??.
If I recall the statistics correctly, 80% of pedestrian injuries and fatalities are proven to be due to the ped stepping out into moving traffic, and 86% of ped accidents after 10pm involve alcohol limits above the driving legal maximum. Very difficult to legislate and police 67m pedestrians who don't have numbers on their forheads and ***** though
Old 17 March 2006, 04:30 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
my problem with them is totaly justified and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Not wanting to go into it at. but, every one i have dealt with has had a serious attitude problem, im certain there are some out there that dont, but as of yet, im still to meet one. Yes they deal with alot of bad things, deaths and so on, but so do other rescue services and they tend to do it with out the intention of "who is to blame"

But i guess dealing with crims all day everyday, its bound to rub off on them sooner or later....
fair comments I suppose you will always get the occasional one on a 'power trip' or a jobsworth type. perhaps I have just been lucky!
Old 17 March 2006, 04:57 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CAT2
Fair point, but it's still frustrating as they always seem to be there when you don't need/want em.
You mean whan you're breaking the law?
Easy to solve...