Sponsored by:

Cleaning your car..... without water?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2000, 04:27 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

An alternative to the Wax Wizards of this world?...

I had a flyer stuck under my wiper blade from "The Waterless Valeting Company". As the name implies, they clean your car without using water (some fancy cleaning/polishing agent). Anyone heard of them, know if this waterless system is any good?

Check more info out at
Old 13 October 2000, 04:57 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Wink

I am having a panic attack at the mere thought of washing my DBM car WITHOUT water!! What happens to all the grit and crap on the paintwork if you can't rinse it away, does it just get ground into the paintwork??

As anyone with a DBM car knows, if you even look at the paintwork wrong it will scratch!! I use a pressure washer first to get off all the loose grime, a sponge with LOTS of clean water, a different sponge for the really dirty bits and it is still almost impossible to avoid scratches.
Old 13 October 2000, 05:04 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hmm.. I think I will give this a miss!

Any comments Mark!?
Old 13 October 2000, 05:05 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wheres the Wizard of Wax when you need him??? ...

No doubt he will comment on the matter as soon as he sees this post - personally unless he says otherwise I'll stick to Marks products *S*

C U Rum
Old 13 October 2000, 06:22 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Umm!! yes I have heard of it and I've actually got some.

TW (TurtleWax) make a similar product (Minute Wax and Quick Wax) all silicone based now virtually withdrawn from sale due to VERY HIGH NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS RE SCRATCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The above and Waterless Valet rely on cleaning yer car without water! One spray some preparation that is viscous and has a high content of misible silicone to clean and "wax" yer car. Quite frankly anyone has to be a right plonker not to wash the car to remove dirt, dust etc etc etc etc.

If u want to try be my guest but done blame me if u get scratches and tons and tons of swirls.

Cant imagine anyone wishing to grind around dust and general dirt whilst waxing in the same operation. The only thing you'll achieve is TROUBLE and then back to me asking for remedial help and I'll know what my answer will be TOLD YA SO.
Old 14 October 2000, 01:08 AM
330sapp
Scooby Regular

i saw a rep for this wonder water less cleaning product at donnington a couple of years ago. I asked them what happened to the bits of grit and dirt and was told that the product had a special chemical composition that 'surrounded' the dirt particles to stop them scratching your car. Needless to say i walked away shaking my head!!!

bren
Old 14 October 2000, 07:57 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I beleive these products use a process called microencapsulation where agents in the polish bend themslf to all foreign objects to stop them coming into direct contact with the surface ebing cleaned.

I'm very dubious myself as I first say this type of thing on QVC and thiught if its so good how come everyone isn't using it. Not convinced and sticking with WW stuff as I know it works.

AllanB
Old 15 October 2000, 01:19 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

It sounds impressive but I wouldn't risk my paintwork personally. All it takes is a couple of pieces of grit that haven't been 'surrounded' by the wonder-stuff and .... uh oh
Old 15 October 2000, 02:43 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

You might as well rub down a DBM car with a sheet of 80 grit wet & dry instead - probably do less damage!!

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 15 October 2000).]
Old 15 October 2000, 05:06 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

Question

OK Im confused.

Yes this product coats particles in silicon to stop them from scratching your paint, but then what happens?? Where do these particles then go??

When I wash my car it is usually covered in all sorts of ****e. It takes long enough to clean it with water. I can't belive the dirt will disappear onto a cloth.

Or do you polish your car through the dirt. Giving it that still not washed look!!!!
Old 15 October 2000, 05:41 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have a look at the URL on the initial post of this thread, and have a look at the 'technology' section for an explanation of how the technology works (or does in theory anyway).
Old 15 October 2000, 06:32 PM
PT
Scooby Regular

My question would be WHY? What's wrong with water? It is cheap and (in this country anyway) plentiful, does the job and we all KNOW it works (low risk).

Just washed my (2 week old) scoob today using guess what - WATER. Looked great, gave it a wipe with a chamois and then applied some Merlin wax (from the wizard) - now it looks bloody superb! Enough said I think!

Pete

Old 15 October 2000, 06:39 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pete

I guess the idea is that you can use the non-water system anywhere - no need to go to a place with a tap, hose, etc.

Personally I'm quite happy with the old fashioned water system - but each to their own...
Old 16 October 2000, 01:34 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi All

Im testing some stuff at the moment, it does'nt need water, you need no cloths and the product is very cheap (£0.00). Only one problem ive noticed so far cars a right mess

Si
Old 16 October 2000, 08:43 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Hi folks,

Looks like my original posting on this topic caused quite a stir! Like the rest of you I'm a bit skeptical of a waterless system. The technology sounds all very well, but does it really work in practice?... I'd be surprised if it did. Frankly I'm more than happy to stick with water plus a good dose of wax and elbow grease.

- ColinU.