Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temptation is getting the better of me...

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2006, 01:15 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temptation is getting the better of me...

well having owned my MY99 wagon for about 8 months I am beginning to feel the need to do some gently mechanical upgrading, what would you guys recommend to get a bit more power say 240/250ish without compromising reliability and driveability...also find the ride fairly bad, I have heard that putting 17s helps the ride, a la RB5...
Old 10 March 2006, 01:34 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Is it the feel of the ride (e.g. vibration) or the actual ride that is bad. I had noisekiller fitted to my car for making the sound inside the car better but the improvement it made on the feel of the ride was amazing (for c£200) vibration from the road reduced a lot.
Old 10 March 2006, 02:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by chippy17
well having owned my MY99 wagon for about 8 months I am beginning to feel the need to do some gently mechanical upgrading, what would you guys recommend to get a bit more power say 240/250ish without compromising reliability and driveability...also find the ride fairly bad, I have heard that putting 17s helps the ride, a la RB5...
Sports cat/decat exhaust and an ECUTEK remap from a reputable expert should see you to a safe 260-270bhp and similar torque- the car would be significantly improved in the drivability stakes.

Fitting larger diameter wheels is the wrong way to go if you want to improve the ride; it generally gets worse with larger wheels- it's the handling that can benefit. TBH I think you'd be better off looking at your shocks and springs...they might be tired, how many miles has the car done?

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 10 March 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10 March 2006, 02:09 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
Is it the feel of the ride (e.g. vibration) or the actual ride that is bad. I had noisekiller fitted to my car for making the sound inside the car better but the improvement it made on the feel of the ride was amazing (for c£200) vibration from the road reduced a lot.

wow I have never heard of anything like this, what on earth is a 'noisekiller'?

it's more the ride ie jiggly/hard, but I do get excessive wind noise at m'way speeds...

Last edited by chippy17; 10 March 2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10 March 2006, 02:12 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Sports cat/decat exhaust and an ECUTEK remap from a reputable expert should see you to a safe 260-270bhp and similar torque- the car would be significantly improved in the drivability stakes.

Fitting larger diameter wheels is the wrong way to go if you want to improve the ride; it generally gets worse with larger wheels- it's the handling that can benefit. TBH I think you'd be better off looking at your shocks and springs...they might be tired, how many miles has the car done?

Ns04
thanks, and you think this would be reliable, as the car is used for family trips as well? How much would those two mods cost roughly?

fair comment re wheels, good point about suspension, the car has done 57k so it could be the dampers making it worse...
Old 10 March 2006, 02:36 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

also who would you recommend down south to do such a job?
Old 10 March 2006, 02:56 PM
New_scooby_04

thanks, and you think this would be reliable, as the car is used for family trips as well? How much would those two mods cost roughly?

fair comment re wheels, good point about suspension, the car has done 57k so it could be the dampers making it worse...
If it's done by an expert, the car should have every bit as good as safety margin as std- always a good idea to get a knocklink to be safe though.

Costs.

Sports cat DP (required if you want to keep the car MOT friendly from Scoobyworld) £299. You could just get a remap with the std DP in place, but you won't get as big a gains in power, torque and drivability.
Decat centre with resonator (to keep it friendly for the family) about £140
Decent bacbox, either H&S original design or Magnex (once again to keep it family friendly) £220ish.
Uprated Samco pipework for the turbo (the intercooler hose tends to split under increased boost pressure) around £90
Ecutek remap around £550
Knocklink around £200 pounds fitted.

Better gains than the PPP for significantly less!

In the south, you could go for Bob Rawle (BR Developments) Pavlo (Zen performance) Simon (posts on here as Jolly Green Monster) Pat Hereborne (maps for Xtreme and API) Do a search and see which one you're most comfortable with.

There you go!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 10 March 2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10 March 2006, 03:02 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

If it's done by an expert, the car should have every bit as good as safety margin as std- always a good idea to get a knocklink to be safe though.

Costs.

Sports cat DP (required if you want to keep the car MOT friendly from Scoobyworld) £299. You could just get a remap with the std DP in place, but you won't get as big a gains in power, torque and drivability.
Decat centre with resonator (to keep it friendly for the family) about £140
Decent bacbox, either H&S original design or Maxnex (once again to keep it family friendly) £220ish.
Uprated Samco pipework for the turbo (the intercooler hose tends to split under increased boost pressure) around £90
Ecutek remap around £550
Knocklink around £200 pounds fitted.

Better gains than the PPP for significantly less!

There you go!

Ns04
superb info, many many thanks, lead me not into temptation...and as long as my wife is none the wiser
Old 10 March 2006, 03:06 PM
New_scooby_04

superb info, many many thanks, lead me not into temptation...and as long as my wife is none the wiser
You're welcome..... I suspect you are about to sin!

Ns04
Old 10 March 2006, 03:23 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

You're welcome..... I suspect you are about to sin!

Ns04
lol I am finding it difficult to resist, I have a sneaky car fund that she has yet to find!!!!!!!! Also about to buy an E21 323i Baur convertible as a project, she said she would divorce me if I bought another car...here's hoping
Old 10 March 2006, 03:26 PM
New_scooby_04

lol I am finding it difficult to resist, I have a sneaky car fund that she has yet to find!!!!!!!! Also about to buy an E21 323i Baur convertible as a project, she said she would divorce me if I bought another car...here's hoping
Ah, another happily married SN member!

Ns04
Old 10 March 2006, 03:36 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Ah, another happily married SN member!

Ns04
well quite
Old 10 March 2006, 03:55 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

I have had the spring upgrade and it makes the handling better but still 'felt' the road (vibration) do a google search for noisekiller plus they advertise on this site. Basically they install sound proofing but the vibration from road was also reduced a lot so the ride is less harsh.
Old 10 March 2006, 04:19 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
I have had the spring upgrade and it makes the handling better but still 'felt' the road (vibration) do a google search for noisekiller plus they advertise on this site. Basically they install sound proofing but the vibration from road was also reduced a lot so the ride is less harsh.
thanks for the info...I will search for it.
Old 10 March 2006, 11:31 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

For my MY99 Wagon
I bought a K & N panel filter, Samco hoses, Magnex Zorst (mid section and back box) and a 2nd hand Prodrive ECU off the ole Scoobynet.
All in it cost £700
250bhp & 242lb/ft (still has downpipe cat)