new Impreza owner

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 03:02 AM
moveover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Impreza owner

Hiya everyone,

Just signed up so thought I would say ello.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an Impreza for some time now , so yesterday (Mon) I test drove a 52 plate sport wagon at my local dealer totally standard apart from some cosmetics and a TOW BAR.

31,000 miles, FSH, £12,000, 12 months warrenty.

Everything seemed fine except for when changing gear and putting the power back on, the car would judder quite bad which sort of felt like a rapid misfire just for a couple of seconds (UTSE and I wouldn't of said it was clutch judder although can't say for deffo) Seemed worse when cold.

One other thing, when lifting off I got a slight judder which I can only describe as if there was wear in the drive train. Is it possible if it has been towing, serious wear at that mileage could of occured or is it likely to be owt or nowt? Could the 2 faults be connected? Is this a known problem?

It looks a beltin car and is just what I am after. Sorry it's a long post but would like to be sure before I commit to this purchase.
Old 07 March 2006, 08:17 AM
island991
Scooby Regular

Hi welcome!

Im no expert and im sure some will be along! what i can say is that i bought my first scooby (a MY2000 wagon) about 6 weeks ago, and had the same knock/judder when changing and getting back on the gas. I was worried about it at first but it seemed to be all in the gear change. I slowed my gear changing right down and learnt to shift all over again. but it worked! only very rarely now do i get it (probably when im not thinking and slip back into lesser (old) car mode!!)

The feeling i was getting was always judder at the back of the car, probably because of wagon so more sound/vibrations coming in from rear of car?

Cant offer anything about lifting off judder. anyone else?!
Old 07 March 2006, 08:28 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moveover
Hiya everyone,

One other thing, when lifting off I got a slight judder which I can only describe as if there was wear in the drive train. Is it possible if it has been towing, serious wear at that mileage could of occured or is it likely to be owt or nowt? Could the 2 faults be connected? Is this a known problem?.
Put 2 and 2 together.. Its got a TOW BAR so its probably been used to tow and more than likely the clutch is f**ked, or even one of the UJ's.

If your really like it; Personally I'd check the warranty is worth the paper its written on then haggle on the price if the rest of it seems ok. Also make sure they dont put a note on the receipt that you noticed some "judder" during the test drive.
Old 07 March 2006, 10:16 AM
moveover
Scooby Regular

got me thinking now. On the test drive I mentioned it and he said he will check for clutch judder. Having second thoughts now.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:29 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moveover
got me thinking now. On the test drive I mentioned it and he said he will check for clutch judder. Having second thoughts now.
Clutch judder is quite normal on a scoob, don't know about when lifting off the gas. Spoke to Subaru dealer about mine, he said its normal. Had the car serviced, found nothing wrong.
Old 09 March 2006, 12:11 PM
moveover
Scooby Regular

well managed to contact the previous keeper yesterday, he has had it for 2 years and said it is spot on, never missed a beat. Got rid because he has another kid now. Seems the dealer has put 2000 miles on since they had it aswell.

spoke to the dealer again and he has assured me it will be spot on. will test drive again before I sign for it and if its not right just wont accept it.