Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First scooby, but which one do i buy??

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2006, 04:49 PM
Glen843
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First scooby, but which one do i buy??

Hi everyone,
First time on the site and i'm already asking questions! I've driven (and still own, Fiat coupe Turbo) italian cars for a few years now but i'm absolutley fed up with them breaking down so i have decided that Subaru's are the way ahead. I've got around £10k and want to get on the ladder. I've been out for a few test drives in 04/05 wrx's but not yet a bug-eye. Not overly bothered which model for the looks but am very interested to see what you have to say about the different specs. I'm thinkin that maybe the STI Prodrive might cost too much to run as i do about 1500 miles a month commuting to work. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I've seen a couple of UK300 for sale as well but don't know a lot about that model??
Cheers all,
Glen
Old 06 March 2006, 05:13 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

the difference in running costs between a wrx and sti are minimal in the grand scheme of things. It depends on what you want from a car, the wrx is a great all round car, where as the sti is more focused and a better base for modifying if you can put up with the 6spd and stiffer chassis. I'd imagine if you drove an sti and a wrx things would turn clear and your money will be on the STI

For 10k you should be able to get a reasonable bug eye sti, try the for sale section for an enthusiats owned model
Old 06 March 2006, 05:47 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I agree with alloy. Test drive both to find out which one you prefer. But for £10k you're firmly in BugEye territory. There's a modded one in the For Sale section at the minute (£9,500) i believe.

Personally i'd save a few more grand and get a blob eye. I couldn't live with the BugEye front end

(runs and hides)
Old 06 March 2006, 05:59 PM
TypeUK_STi
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
. I couldn't live with the BugEye front end

(runs and hides)

There not all bad,,,,
Old 06 March 2006, 07:25 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen843
I've driven (and still own, Fiat coupe Turbo) italian cars for a few years now but i'm absolutley fed up with them breaking down so i have decided that Subaru's are the way ahead.
LOL don't be so sure that Subarus are that reliable. Everyone thinks that until they buy one and come on Scoobynet. I made that mistake coming from French cars.
Old 06 March 2006, 07:28 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10k gets you this..... http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...198post5556198 ........
plus lots of change
Old 08 March 2006, 11:00 AM
Glen843
Scooby Newbie

Question

Cheers to you all for getting back to me on this one and v5 man that is one tidy car, is it sold now??
What are the servicing intervals for the WRX and STI and if i find a prodrive wrx will that mean that it needs more regular servicing. Are UK300's a good buy and are they considered to be similar WRX or STI's when it comes to insuring them?
Cheers once again, Glen.
Old 08 March 2006, 11:06 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Cheers to you all for getting back to me on this one and v5 man that is one tidy car, is it sold now??
What are the servicing intervals for the WRX and STI and if i find a prodrive wrx will that mean that it needs more regular servicing. Are UK300's a good buy and are they considered to be similar WRX or STI's when it comes to insuring them?
Cheers once again, Glen.
Generally every 10k miles. People change the oil around every 5, but it's not essential. If you find a WRX PPP, it wont need extra servicing, but will cost obviously extra on insurance. The PPP can range from £50 to £200 extra, as i've found out.

lOOk to A-Plan (see insurance section) for your insurance. They're one of the lowest quotes you'll find, plus they're very modification friendly.
Old 08 March 2006, 12:26 PM
Glen843
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that Gaz i'll be calling A-Plan to get a few quotes. PPP does sound like a good bet on a wrx, but on paper it seems as though the preformance would be very similar to that of an STI?!?
The hunt begins!!
Old 08 March 2006, 12:31 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Gaz i'll be calling A-Plan to get a few quotes. PPP does sound like a good bet on a wrx, but on paper it seems as though the preformance would be very similar to that of an STI?!?
The hunt begins!!

Speak to Keith Michaels insurance co and speak to Gary Moulson, hes very hard to beat!
Old 08 March 2006, 01:19 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
LOL don't be so sure that Subarus are that reliable. Everyone thinks that until they buy one and come on Scoobynet. I made that mistake coming from French cars.
I put my money on a scoob before any french car!

Yes, there will be the odd frenchie which will run like a dream but on the whole (and assuming you don't go over the top in modding the car!) the Scoob should see you proud!