Sponsored by:

Decated a classic, remap??

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2006, 10:14 PM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decated a classic, remap??

ive just ordered a decat downpipe for my00, i was under the impression that i wouldnt need to remap, but while searching the forum for fitting advice i came across a few threads suggesting very little power is gained without a remap. Apologies if this has been done to death but would like a few opinions on this matter .

The car is pretty much standard uk turbo, just a scoobyworld vortex back box, panel filter and a blow off dump valve.

What cost am i looking at for a remap?
Old 04 March 2006, 10:21 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have a look here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=492944&page=4

Should answer all your qs

I have a MY00, and had mine remapped today - £499+vat.

I changed to decat downpipe and JR panel filter and achieved 15bhp more before remap (Ninja Sports Cat downpipe, already had Magnex cat back).

Remap freed up 42bhp more.

Now 272bhp - with loads of torque, feels plenty quick enough now
Old 04 March 2006, 10:58 PM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
Have a look here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=492944&page=4

Should answer all your qs

I have a MY00, and had mine remapped today - £499+vat.

I changed to decat downpipe and JR panel filter and achieved 15bhp more before remap (Ninja Sports Cat downpipe, already had Magnex cat back).

Remap freed up 42bhp more.

Now 272bhp - with loads of torque, feels plenty quick enough now
was hoping for more than 15bhp without a remap
Old 04 March 2006, 11:15 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

many years ago I owned a UK96 car and with just a full de-cat pipe,that old bone showed 264bhp on powerstations rollers

so whether your new de-cat pipe makes 15 or even 50 extra horseses'es

The difference in your cars driveability and throttle response will have been well worth it
Old 04 March 2006, 11:34 PM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
many years ago I owned a UK96 car and with just a full de-cat pipe,that old bone showed 264bhp on powerstations rollers

so whether your new de-cat pipe makes 15 or even 50 extra horseses'es

The difference in your cars driveability and throttle response will have been well worth it
thats good to know, thanks

when you say a full decat pipe, do you mean just the dowpipe or...?
Old 04 March 2006, 11:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by sharpydoo
ive just ordered a decat downpipe for my00, i was under the impression that i wouldnt need to remap, but while searching the forum for fitting advice i came across a few threads suggesting very little power is gained without a remap. Apologies if this has been done to death but would like a few opinions on this matter .

The car is pretty much standard uk turbo, just a scoobyworld vortex back box, panel filter and a blow off dump valve.

What cost am i looking at for a remap?
Cars respond differently. It's often difficult to tell how much a decat alone will yield as quite frequently owners don't have baseline figures to compare the decat figures too- they assume that their car was making stock power when -in reality- it may have been producing less or more; this can give misleading impressions as to the impact of a decat. The gains of a decat -especially the DP- you can expect a lower spool up point on the turbo and it'll also spool up quicker- this translates to improved drivability, especially at low revs. The car's top end will also be improved. As for outright power, I wouldn't expect much more than 15-20bhp from the decat alone. It maybe more, it maybe less, but probably less I'd suggest.

What is certain, however, is that any gains you get with a Decat will be significantly greater after a remap. You should also consider getting a knocklink fitted if you intend running a decat for any length of time without a remap; it'll warn you if the car starts to run lean, which occassionally happens.

Ns04
Old 05 March 2006, 12:30 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Cars respond differently. It's often difficult to tell how much a decat alone will yield as quite frequently owners don't have baseline figures to compare the decat figures too- they assume that their car was making stock power when -in reality- it may have been producing less or more; this can give misleading impressions as to the impact of a decat. The gains of a decat -especially the DP- you can expect a lower spool up point on the turbo and it'll also spool up quicker- this translates to improved drivability, especially at low revs. The car's top end will also be improved. As for outright power, I wouldn't expect much more than 15-20bhp from the decat alone. It maybe more, it maybe less, but probably less I'd suggest.

What is certain, however, is that any gains you get with a Decat will be significantly greater after a remap. You should also consider getting a knocklink fitted if you intend running a decat for any length of time without a remap; it'll warn you if the car starts to run lean, which occassionally happens.

Ns04

I know figures as when I bought car it had a printout showing 215.5bhp.

Changed downpipe and filter - 230bhp.

But - different rollers so hard to tell.

Remap changed it all to 272bhp - well worth the 600notes, Powerstation Group Buy still running also.

As New Scooby says - when I changed dp spooled up 500rpm earlier, responded more easily - good mod defo. esp. as I have no need to fart about with changing dp due to Sports Cat.

£299 for Ninja - bargain

Last edited by StiX; 05 March 2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05 March 2006, 09:44 AM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Agree with comments above. Also had full decat on MY00ppp pickup is much more responsive as suggested and comes in some 500rpm earlier.
Also has louder audible sound from the turbo aswell.

Not had remap done as yet toying with the idea of TD04H from Andy F

Old 05 March 2006, 11:55 AM
shippy
Scooby Regular

Put a full de cat on my 99 scoob with normal panel filter and never had a remap or been on rolling road, but it felt plenty quicker than it did when i first drove it, sounded tons better also
Old 05 March 2006, 12:09 PM
New_scooby_04

£299 for Ninja - bargain
Good isn't it?? Scoobyworld came up trumps with that one! I also got the H&S straight through section in the H&S group buy: quality exhaust on the cheap.

How does the car drive now with the remap?

Ns04
Old 05 March 2006, 01:03 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Good isn't it?? Scoobyworld came up trumps with that one! I also got the H&S straight through section in the H&S group buy: quality exhaust on the cheap.

How does the car drive now with the remap?

Ns04
Massively better all round. It just feels ready to go in every gear - 40bhp more is nice obviously, but its the mid-range I use and thats fantastic now. Between 2.5and 5k rpm is what I use (and probably most others too), and that is way better. Also previously it felt a bit hesistant under boost, changed the MAF sensor and that helped, but the remap has really smoothed it out.

Can't praise Rich @ Powerstation enough
Old 05 March 2006, 01:10 PM
New_scooby_04

Massively better all round. It just feels ready to go in every gear - 40bhp more is nice obviously, but its the mid-range I use and thats fantastic now. Between 2.5and 5k rpm is what I use (and probably most others too), and that is way better. Also previously it felt a bit hesistant under boost, changed the MAF sensor and that helped, but the remap has really smoothed it out.

Can't praise Rich @ Powerstation enough
Glad you're happy with the results. Did you get an uprated fuel pump?
Is the Tdo4 capable for giving you much more of a shove in the back when remapped, or is the delivery similar, just more of the same..if that makes sense!

Ns04
Old 05 March 2006, 03:58 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to Power engineering last week and had my car on the rollers and it recorded 259bhp with just the middle section and back box done.
I said to people can this be right and they said different scoobs get different results, it depends on how the cars been looked after.

James
Old 05 March 2006, 04:25 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Glad you're happy with the results. Did you get an uprated fuel pump?
Is the Tdo4 capable for giving you much more of a shove in the back when remapped, or is the delivery similar, just more of the same..if that makes sense!

Ns04
Didn't need a better fuel pump with the standard TD04. I think its only needed 320/340+ bhp, can't remember which.

Its giving a fair bit more shove now, boost has been raised from 0.9 (I think thats standard?) to 1.25. Delivery is similar yes - I know what you mean! Acceleration stronger, and much smoother thanks to remap.

I'm happy with 272, I think the most you can get out of the TD04 is 300, but I don't want to start having to worry about gearboxes, fuel pumps, injectors etc. etc.

I used to have a 95 WRX running about 270, so I'm happy now I have same amount of go as that.

Since I have had it (about a month), I have:

de-tangoed
new MAF
had Ninja Sports cat fitted and changed oil/filter
clutch changed to exedy STi one
changed HU
fitted JR panel filter
remapped

in that order, so thats it for a good while