Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No threads about Scooby v Vectra V EVO

In evo magazine this month?
Old 28 February 2006, 10:32 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Worst Fears

Yes, read it just confirmed my worst fears, IM have lost the plot, and we've got a spec that has none of the things that made for that special driving experience
Old 28 February 2006, 10:33 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Have read some of it,the scooby and the evo 320 posted the same time on the lap which can't be to bad
Old 28 February 2006, 11:23 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Only subscribers have got the latest edition so far, the shops'll have it in a day or two...

It's in W H Smiths and all the usual outlets - it's a quality mag!

Steve
Old 01 March 2006, 07:04 PM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by disrupta
Ive looked everywere but can't find a copy of evo in my local newsagents, shops or any of the garages, which shops do you lot buy it from, and does the mag have a website i could order it from

cheers
If you still haven't found one checkout Tescos, got one last night from the local superstore
Old 01 March 2006, 07:25 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

so how does the vectra do?

surely not in the same ball park?

john
Old 02 March 2006, 07:58 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

john
Have a read and find out
Old 02 March 2006, 08:11 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by disrupta
Ive looked everywere but can't find a copy of evo in my local newsagents, shops or any of the garages, which shops do you lot buy it from, and does the mag have a website i could order it from

cheers
Subscribe. 3 trial issues too + gift...

https://secure.widearea.co.uk/dennis...1/Opening.html
Old 02 March 2006, 08:22 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

JGRIFF

Can I point out to you that IM (Subaru UK) DO NOT set the spec of the cars that come here. The constantly lobby very hard to get the best spec of cars that they can for their customers, but if Subaru in Japan either don't do it or can't get it homologated, it doesn't happen. It's not a conspiracy............

Mike
Old 02 March 2006, 08:23 AM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Only read it last night, seems to show that the gap betwen the rally bread performance special, and the everyday performance version of a family car has closed.

However from reading the posts on scoobynet over the last few years, that doesn't come as any great shock, wonder if Ford will respond with a properly quick Mondeo ??
Old 02 March 2006, 11:20 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Sport160
Only read it last night, seems to show that the gap between the rally bread performance special, and the everyday performance version of a family car has closed.
I consider all the cars tested to be souped up family cars.

And yes I've owned two Imprezas in the past and viewed them as souped up family transport (even though one of them had two doors )

I've not read it yet, but the depreciation of the Vectra would put me off buying one new.

Steve
Old 02 March 2006, 11:24 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
I've not read it yet, but the depreciation of the Vectra would put me off buying one new.

Steve
And the depreciation of a new scoob doesn't? It's horrifying the amount people have lost on new scoobs recently...
Old 02 March 2006, 11:35 AM
finnie
Scooby Regular

Didn't read in any detail yet but looks like a good article. The scoob is a fast car alright but its not that much faster in real life. There are so many cars with huge torque out there now. I had a long (250 mile) drive a few months ago along some of the best a roads in the country. Behind me the whole way was a diesel passat. Everytime I overtook this passat was right with me! I had a MY99 impreza running about 240 bhp. Even full boost moves going to 6000rpm he was right behind me. Only once when clearing roadworks did I manage to put some space between us, even then he was back on my tail in 30 seconds.

Ok I wasn't going crazy at the wheel and scaring myself but I doubt he was either. I'm sure if I gritted my teeth I would have lost him.

My point is that cars these days are so easy to drive quickly, so many nannying features, wider tyres and stiffer suspension allow many many cars to keep up with the scoobs in most day to day situations where we are not driving like a loon and reaching and passing limits!

Not that EVO magazine drive like that
Old 02 March 2006, 11:35 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

john
Oh deary deary me
Old 02 March 2006, 11:48 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by finnie
Didn't read in any detail yet but looks like a good article. The scoob is a fast car alright but its not that much faster in real life. There are so many cars with huge torque out there now. I had a long (250 mile) drive a few months ago along some of the best a roads in the country. Behind me the whole way was a diesel passat. Everytime I overtook this passat was right with me! I had a MY99 impreza running about 240 bhp. Even full boost moves going to 6000rpm he was right behind me. Only once when clearing roadworks did I manage to put some space between us, even then he was back on my tail in 30 seconds.

Ok I wasn't going crazy at the wheel and scaring myself but I doubt he was either. I'm sure if I gritted my teeth I would have lost him.

My point is that cars these days are so easy to drive quickly, so many nannying features, wider tyres and stiffer suspension allow many many cars to keep up with the scoobs in most day to day situations where we are not driving like a loon and reaching and passing limits!

Not that EVO magazine drive like that
Yep, they pretty much what they said:if you were really trying, the scooby and evo could pull away from the pack, but when you're not, there's not much in it. I don't think they tested them in the wet though, where the AWD cars would have had an advantage.

Interesting that the scoob posted the same laptime as the FQ320 though, despite being over 40bhp down, and seemed to be the prefered engine in the test, even if the lack of a decent soundtrack was rightly lamented.

Here's to the PPP version!
Old 02 March 2006, 12:22 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

When Subaru make an Impreza that actually handles, then they'll beat the Evo. Until then, not a hope in hell. I'll take the 330i thanks.
Old 02 March 2006, 12:30 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
I consider all the cars tested to be souped up family cars.

And yes I've owned two Imprezas in the past and viewed them as souped up family transport (even though one of them had two doors )

Steve
Steve, fair point, on consideration I agree. I think what I was trying to say was that in the early days of the classic there was a huge gap between an impreza and most hot/warm family cars that were available, now there isn't. The competion has moved on.
Old 02 March 2006, 12:30 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

VXR gets mullered @ Bedford tho' ....a 1.26.10 lap of the west circuit slots the EVO & STi inbetween a 996 Turbo & AM V8 Vantage!!!

Not surprised it can stay with them on 'normal' roads though ...you need a really big BHP/Ton difference there to make a difference
Old 02 March 2006, 01:06 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl 227
Oh deary deary me

simple enough question wasnt it? seems as no one has posted what kind of damn vectra they were using.........

still cant find the mag at my local, so im really sorry for living out in the sticks, i will buy it at the weekend, seems a better decision than to ask for info on here lol

john
Old 02 March 2006, 01:22 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

VXR vectra & it's quite good

STI on sticky tyres, 320 evo on road tyres = same lap time. Evo on sticky & then bye bye STI

Now were are those rose tinted scooby specs
Old 02 March 2006, 01:23 PM
New_scooby_04

simple enough question wasnt it? seems as no one has posted what kind of damn vectra they were using.........

still cant find the mag at my local, so im really sorry for living out in the sticks, i will buy it at the weekend, seems a better decision than to ask for info on here lol

john
It was the new Vectra VXR mate

http://www.grimshaws.co.uk/vxr_vauxhall_cars.html

Ns04
Old 02 March 2006, 01:26 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I thought the Vectra did very well ....... Would destroy a wrx for sure
Old 02 March 2006, 01:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I thought the Vectra did very well ....... Would destroy a wrx for sure
and a French clatterbox!

Ns04
Old 02 March 2006, 01:36 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I was hooning to work this morning as I do, when I stumbled across an 54plate WRX, he gives it the cocky look to the left and knowing smile as he goes for it, I give it foot to floor, bearing in mind this is from 45/50mph rolling start we are all but neck and neck at the roundabout 90mph at the three bar signage.

Im in my 2.0 16v mundano
Old 02 March 2006, 01:56 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Im in my 2.0 16v mundano [/quote]

Mundano? Is that a new super quick Ford then?
Old 02 March 2006, 01:58 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Cant get decent fuel in Pompey though peanuts and extremly warm (heat soak) he was also on his warm down lap (to work) and had a cracked brake disc .......

Good as the VXR is, I dont think I will be buying one ..... Mind you I wont be buying a scoob or EVO again either
Old 02 March 2006, 02:56 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I see my next car as being either a luxury executive saloon (2 years old so some other poor sap has the biggest hit on it!) or a cobra kit
Old 02 March 2006, 03:14 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
VXR vectra & it's quite good

STI on sticky tyres, 320 evo on road tyres = same lap time. Evo on sticky & then bye bye STI

Now were are those rose tinted scooby specs

STI with PPP and then mods to make total cost of cars the same then bye bye EVO. 280 v's 320 not a fair comparison really.
Old 02 March 2006, 06:01 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sgcooby

STI with PPP and then mods to make total cost of cars the same then bye bye EVO. 280 v's 320 not a fair comparison really.
For comparison the EVO 260 goes round in 1.31.05 on a damp track
Old 02 March 2006, 06:54 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a fair article evo magazine have always been on the money for me.

The best quote is from the article 'both the Evo and Impreza have an extra level of point to point speed that you can access if you are prepared to throw caution to the wind. However you have to be extremely brutal to pull out much of a gap over the VXR...The BMW is never far behind either...'

And in my experience that is true on normal roads. For example on Scooby runs, fairly standard WRX's are never far behind lightly modded STi's and even the really hardcore stuff is only a few car lengths ahead.

On track its a different story - over 4 seconds quicker than the BMW and more than 5 over the VXR and that's in a 1.8 mile circuit. The Evo IX MR340 with the track biased tyres managed 1.24.55 (Just 1.55 seconds quicker than the STi/Evo MR320) on the same circuit in last month's Evo so hardly bye bye STi given the ŁK difference. I would like to see the time for a new 2.5 STi or JDM car with Powerstation Type 20 Spec and the track biased tyres, let alone a similar Spec C maybe that would be bye bye Evo?? Oh and the Evo is the 5th fastest car around Evo's track of choice and those above cost moon money or mean you have to get flies in your teeth and I doubt you could get a weeks shopping in all of them either :-)

The people I know who have driven the new 2.5 STi UK express the same disappointment as the article but there is no doubting its quick. Just proof there are many ways to go quickly now, you pay your money and take your choice!!

Quick Reply: No threads about Scooby v Vectra V EVO