Sponsored by:

I need to learn to drive

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2006, 12:04 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I need to learn to drive

I do, really! I know it is not often that someone on Snet thinks that they can improve their already god like driving capability

What experiences have people had with track driving schools and what options are there? I am not interested in a three hour driving experience day in a Fiesta I am interested in people who have been to race school or similar.

It would be preferable that the training was Oop North - but for the right training I would travel further afield.

Of course some training that included the ability to drive my own car would be great.

I look forward to any recommendations

PS Edited to add that I am more interested in saloon than single seater.

Last edited by Trout; 28 February 2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 28 February 2006, 12:11 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

would highly recommend the Institute of Advance Motoring. Won't so much help your track ability but will improve you anticipation, and your ability to handle real-road situations at speed.

Been out with a couple of instructors myself and learnt a lot suprisingly.

Think its around £75 to join and this gets you several drives with other qualified instructors.

Forget the hand shuffling though ;-)

Rich
Old 28 February 2006, 12:15 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I did a one day advanced driving and handling course at Hockenheim last year in Scooby STis.

which involved skid pans, emergency breaking, swerving, slaloming, drifting, having the back end swiped and driving on stuff slipier than ice.

was an awsome day and was sponsored by Subaru and run by the ADAC.

Hockenheim has a brand new and really cool handling facility.

Last edited by Wurzel; 28 February 2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 28 February 2006, 01:09 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I wouldn't go straight to race school if I was you but go and learn the limits of both your car and yourself first.

Don Palmer runs driving courses using your car usually at Bruntingthorpe in Leics or at Millbrook, and will make a significant difference to your driving and understanding of your car. He's a little eccentric but delivers - he'll also give you circuit driving training as well if you want. Can't remember his new site name without googling but it's something like creative car control. It's not cheap but qualiy never is.

I did a day with Don at Bruntingthorpe with a mate and another guy and it was around £300 each, but all of us considered it money well spent. We spent a morning finding our and the car's limits, what happened over those limits, and a load of techy stuff that I use every day on the road and whenever i'm on track, and the afternoon hooning around the track with Don honing our driving technique. He's very good and very brave as he didn't bat an eyelid as I hit 180mph in the third guy's 911 turbo S with a 90 degree bend fast approaching or when i was almost on the lockstops in my friends TVR 5 litre at about 90mph - just murmured "good one" as I managed to catch it - although he did put it into perspective by then scaring the pants off all 3 of us with his drive around the circuit in his M5. Also gave us some good B road driving pointers on his spirited drive to and from lunch at a local pub.
Old 28 February 2006, 01:20 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don Palmer's website:

http://www.donpalmer.co.uk/
Old 28 February 2006, 01:44 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

try croft circuit in north yorkshire
martin
Old 28 February 2006, 02:33 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

There is a member of the west Yorks Impreza owners club that is an ex traffic police man, who does driver tution. He is very very good, an excellent day out, I've done it, I know that David, Corradoboy, has done it as well and I'm sure a few menbers of WYIOC have as well. PM me or corradoboy and we will his details

Richard
Old 28 February 2006, 02:47 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Hockenheim sounds great if a little far from here

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I wouldn't go straight to race school if I was you but go and learn the limits of both your car and yourself first.
I am aware of Don Palmer and have done a track day with him at Castle Coombe.

I am interested to know why you think I should not go to race school first. My thought is that at race school I will learn am awful lot about my limits - am I completely wrong here?

In terms of experience I have done quite a few track days that were pretty successful - but I have not been on track for nearly three years now.

Rannoch