Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 or Evo 6 Extreme ???????

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 03:56 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have always been a fan of scoobies and am presently looking for a P1. I know this is a scoobie forum and we are all a little biased, but if I was going to go the gutts of 30K for a car would I be better going for an Evo 6 Extreme with 340 bhp, and an initial cost of over 40K ? There are two currently for sale in Ralliart, Dudley. Does anybody know either of these two cars or their history ? And lastly, has anyone ever driven one of these and could give me an opinion ?

Thanks !

Ricky !
Old 28 October 2001, 09:25 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

ttt !!!!!
Old 28 October 2001, 10:08 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Hi Ricky,

Personally, I'd go for the P1, but it really depends on what your main use of the car would be.

I've owned two UK Turbos, and have just parted company with my Evo 6 RSX. Of the three cars, the UK Turbos were the easiest to live with on a day to day basis, but the Evo 6 delivered the bigger rush when I was pushing on.

To me, the P1 represents the best compromise between power and handling versus day to day ease of use. It is also less likely to break down on you than an Evo, and comes with a comprehensive Subaru warranty.

From my own personal experience, the Evo 6 can be a bit fragile, and Mitsubishi UK are not always as flexible on warranty issues as they could be.

I got rid of my Evo for two reasons:

1) I've had to have a gearbox, two clutches and a flywheel in the last three weeks.

2) My wife is expecting, and I need a car I can rely on.

Regards,

Bagpuss.
Old 29 October 2001, 12:49 AM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ricky,

Go drive both.. its the only way.

An evo extreme will be a very very different experience from the P1 though. I reckon these 2 cars don't really belong on a shorlist together. If you like P1 and its compliance, practiclity etc then you won't want an Extreme. If you like ultra focused and frenetic nature of extreme, big fuel bills but big boost (0-100 in 9.5/10 secs) then you won't be after a P1 ?

Remember that a standard GSR will feel quite a bit more harder edged & frenetic than a P1 but its still a great everyday car. The extreme though is another level on from that - in that it has a very quick rack, close ratio gearbox, competition bushes, very hard suspension etc.. so its even more mental and not a good all purpose car. Once again its all about what your needs are.

For what its worth, unless you have money to burn, IMO I'd stay away from the 2 EXtremes at Ralliart that are hovering at teh 30K mark. They are expensive for what they are and will depreciate hard (your paying mostly for the alloys & carbon wing etc). Go drive it though & if you like it, buy a low milegae 6 (RSX or RS if you dont want AYC & want close ratio gearbox) preferably a makinen and then spend about 3K upgrading it to 350/360bhp. (thats exhaust, induction, arp bolts, fuel pump, sports ecu, lowering springs, boost controller)

good luck
Old 29 October 2001, 02:24 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

modded evo 6 GSR might fit the bill

[Edited by juan - 10/29/2001 2:25:22 PM]